In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 28th, 2022 at 11:26:04 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: OnceDear
https://pagesix.com/2022/01/27/bridget-fonda-seen-for-first-time-in-12-years-on-58th-birthday/

Reminds me that Jackie Brown is Quentin Tarantino’s most underrated movie.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 28th, 2022 at 11:42:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I saw a comment that it might not be Bridget Fonda. If not, I feel a bit sorry for the lady in the pic, as she is representing morphing into a disaster of health. She probably already knew she's not in the best shape or gonna be on a beauty magazine.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2022 at 12:08:21 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Wow, that's her alright.

She had a bad car wreck many years ago, broke a vertebrae, and I expect that led to inactivity, depression, and self-medication via Cheez-its and Twinkies.
January 30th, 2022 at 2:38:29 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Wow, that's her alright.

She had a bad car wreck many years ago, broke a vertebrae, and I expect that led to inactivity, depression, and self-medication via Cheez-its and Twinkies.

I had an undiagnosed broken back for over 10 years and ate twinkies and cheese-its and I weigh under 160 pounds.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 30th, 2022 at 7:41:13 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Joe Rogan wins!

Spotify is removing Neil Young from the platform following his ultimatum.

Rogan with his 12 million monthly listeners, has a $100 million exclusive contract with the platform.

Young never stood a chance.

??????.
100 million vs 2 billion lol
No contest
Spotify Lost More Than $2 Billion in Market Value After Neil Young Pulled His Music Over Joe Rogan’s Podcast
https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/spotify-2-billion-market-cap-neil-young-joe-rogan-1235166798/amp/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 31st, 2022 at 3:30:54 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Joe Rogan wins!

Rogan with his 12 million monthly listeners, has a $100 million exclusive contract with the platform.

??????.
No contest
Spotify Lost More Than $2 Billion in Market Value After Neil Young Pulled His Music Over Joe Rogan’s Podcast
https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/spotify-2-billion-market-cap-neil-young-joe-rogan-1235166798/amp/

It's more complex than that. They pay Rogan to be exclusive on Spotify. Artists like Young generally get paid per time the song is played.

My offhand guess is Spotify makes far more money off of Rogan than somebody they have to pay somerhing 60-80% of the profit of each song played to the artists and their labels than to somebody where they can keep everything because he has already been paid.

I have no dog in this fight, never had Spotify. I liked Rogan when he was on YouTube, but would never buy Spotify just to listen to him. Since he has been on Spotify most of COVID, I have not heard directly his alleged anti-vax beliefs to know enough about his view or promotion of alternative drugs, etc...

As for the market value, I have a feeling that the loss would be bigger if Rogan was pulled for the reasons above. If was the more profitable move to keep Rogan. They would have had a big short term market loss either way, but the Rogan loss would be even larger.
January 31st, 2022 at 4:22:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Joe Rogan wins!

??????.
No contest

It's more complex than that. They pay Rogan to be exclusive on Spotify. Artists like Young generally get paid per time the song is played.

My offhand guess is Spotify makes far more money off of Rogan than somebody they have to pay somerhing 60-80% of the profit of each song played to the artists and their labels than to somebody where they can keep everything because he has already been paid.

I have no dog in this fight, never had Spotify. I liked Rogan when he was on YouTube, but would never buy Spotify just to listen to him. Since he has been on Spotify most of COVID, I have not heard directly his alleged anti-vax beliefs to know enough about his view or promotion of alternative drugs, etc...

As for the market value, I have a feeling that the loss would be bigger if Rogan was pulled for the reasons above. If was the more profitable move to keep Rogan. They would have had a big short term market loss either way, but the Rogan loss would be even larger.

It has been on a downward slide since November 2. I doubt any serious person traded on Young pulling his material. It was up Friday and is up in the premarket.
The President is a fink.
January 31st, 2022 at 5:52:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Joe Rogan wins!

??????.
No contest

It has been on a downward slide since November 2. I doubt any serious person traded on Young pulling his material. It was up Friday and is up in the premarket.

That is true as well, I was just pointing out the difference between an artist that they have to pay for every view/stream and an artist where they already paid for the content and can stream it has often as they want without accumulating royalty fees.

Rogan is already paid for, and will not accrue royalty obligations so it makes far more sense to side with him.
January 31st, 2022 at 6:15:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Bruce Springsteen and Joni Mitchell joining Young in removing music from Spotify
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 31st, 2022 at 6:26:58 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Spotify is up 9% or so premarket.

It has lost 25% of the stock value over the past month or so as it looks like the subscriber level maybe level off or fall. It is down 45% in the past year and has been down over 50% from the high within the pat 52 weeks.

Spotify does not pay particularly well according to folks in the business I know, though none are on top acts. Maybe they pay them more per play or however they pay.

We’ll see how it plays out, but part of this may be a play to get more money from platforms that pay better guised as a protest.

We will see how many artists leave the platform and what percentage of the business their works represent overall.

Most of the folks (outside of country artists) that I listen to lean left or farther left. I listen to them for music, not politics. They can easily support stuff like soft on crime DAs, for example, because many of them have their own security staff.