In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 19th, 2022 at 2:20:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
A damnable lie.

Ihave ALWAYS voted Libertarian in presidential elections except I did vote for McGovern because of 'Nam.

Otherwise no, I've not voted for a Democrat nor a Republican for President.

You seem to know differently, so "prove me wrong."

You voted for about the most liberal candidate in modern history and expect to be taken as a libertarian?
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2022 at 2:26:41 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I have been a big proponent of removing party affiliation from ballots. Now I think it might be better to remove the candidate names. Just list their positions on any 20 or so items which they choose to disclose. Blind vote on positions and platform.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 19th, 2022 at 6:30:31 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Gandler
Yes, he is basically a center Republican.

I can virtually guarantee if you were just given a Senate voting record from him and three Center-leaning GOP senators from the same period/term in the 1970s, 1980s and the 1990s in a serious of multiple-choice questions (where you see the voting record on bills from that year and pick which is Biden) you would not be able to identify Biden (besides the margin of getting lucky on some 1/4 after all)....

I mean there is a reason he is not popular, the right thinks he is the head of some grand conspiracy, and the left thinks he is a centrist sellout....

Now, he has progressed on some issues since 2019, in fact if you look at his political summary you will see 2012 and 2019 are the two years that had the most changes to his positions and we can probably make assumptions as to why.....

However, his senate career, he may as well have been a Republican (especially on social issues....)

I mean even just look at his wiki summary page of his history to get an idea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Joe_Biden#:~:text=Over%20his%20career%2C%20Biden%20has,or%20the%20Green%20New%20Deal.

Again, I was speaking to his policies as President.

Attacking oil, open borders, etc. are not “moderate” policies.

I know plenty about his time in the Senate; I lived near the DC cesspool for years and learned way too much about many of the lifetime politicians on a daily basis.
June 19th, 2022 at 7:16:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
Again, I was speaking to his policies as President.

Attacking oil, open borders, etc. are not “moderate” policies.

I know plenty about his time in the Senate; I lived near the DC cesspool for years and learned way too much about many of the lifetime politicians on a daily basis.

Who was more moderate than Biden in primary? Maybe Harris? Buttigieg maybe (hard to say since he has no national record, only local). And, ironically the two of them (Biden and Harris) are hated by the right for being some far left spark, and by the far left for being centrist sellouts.

He does not have open borders. Not wanting to build a wall is not open borders. In fact many pro-immigration groups think he is terrible on this issue (some think that he is just as bad as Trump, but in a more polite way).

In fact here is ultra conservative (though pro-immigration), CATO Institute:
https://www.cato.org/blog/bidens-border-policy-not-open-borders
"This criticism is not simply inaccurate: it is unhinged from reality in a way that distinguishes itself from normal political hyperbole. Indeed, U.S. immigration policy is effectively closed borders, and Biden’s immigration policies and goals are largely the same as those of President Donald Trump. "
(Granted, CATO is Libertarian Conservative, and do not really agree with the concept of borders, but that also gives them a unique perspective).

As for attacking oil, this is complex, he pushed for green energy initially, Russia invaded Ukraine, he banned oil/gas from Russia, and is now making negative comments about profit margins, do these factors when combined with inflation cause price increases? Almost certainly. Are any of these Biden's fault? Other than the mean comments, no. However, the U.S. still has great gas prices (compared to the rest of the world). (Though this is a complex issue with many other factors, that are probably more important, I just mentioned the ones Biden could hypothetically influence, President's cannot do a whole lot about gas prices despite their rhetoric in just about every election campaign in history -at least for the last 20 years-....).
June 20th, 2022 at 3:01:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

He does not have open borders. Not wanting to build a wall is not open borders. In fact many pro-immigration groups think he is terrible on this issue (some think that he is just as bad as Trump, but in a more polite way). ]

He wants open borders. He trucks illegal aliens all over the USA. He is for catch and release. And he is against commonsense things like a wall that would stem the flow. I will never get why liberals think a border wall is the end of the world.

Quote:
As for attacking oil, this is complex, he pushed for green energy initially, Russia invaded Ukraine, he banned oil/gas from Russia, and is now making negative comments about profit margins, do these factors when combined with inflation cause price increases? Almost certainly. Are any of these Biden's fault? Other than the mean comments, no. However, the U.S. still has great gas prices (compared to the rest of the world). (Though this is a complex issue with many other factors, that are probably more important, I just mentioned the ones Biden could hypothetically influence, President's cannot do a whole lot about gas prices despite their rhetoric in just about every election campaign in history -at least for the last 20 years-....).

It is not complex. He has stated he wants to destroy the fossil fuels industry. See, when you have a POTUS saying that the behavior of the oil industry changes. I talked to people who said the phone started ringing the day after Trump was elected because he would be good for their business. The election of Biden clearly had the opposite effect. When a POTUS promises new taxes and new regulations (for regulation sake not even for any good reason) well investment dries up.

Now he is attacking "profit." The guy thinks profit is a dirty word. Would you invest if it was promised even more of your profits would be taxed away?

Libs voted for the guy who promised higher gas prices then whine about it when the price goes up. They are like children in that way.
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2022 at 4:53:51 AM permalink
RonC
Who was more moderate than Biden in primary?...

I am speaking of his policies since he has become President, not what he said campaigning.

The borders are open. Come to Texas. Go see the border for yourself. No wall, I get it. The problem is that you have to put more force into it to slow down illegal crossings. He has no plan and the major media outlets ignore the problems. Cartels own parts of the border. Drugs coming in at high rates. I didn’t read the article…and I am for legal immigration. The border is porous and he has yet to do anything but name Harris the czar. She does less.

He attacked oil from the outset. Our prices are almost always better than those in many countries.

He is doing things that hurt the people Dems say they want to help…

He may have been moderate as a Senator and candidate. He is not governing as a moderate or centrist.

Saying he was this or that does not mean a thing now.
June 20th, 2022 at 8:23:15 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: RonC
I am speaking of his policies since he has become President, not what he said campaigning.

The borders are open. Come to Texas. Go see the border for yourself. No wall, I get it. The problem is that you have to put more force into it to slow down illegal crossings. He has no plan and the major media outlets ignore the problems. Cartels own parts of the border. Drugs coming in at high rates. I didn’t read the article…and I am for legal immigration. The border is porous and he has yet to do anything but name Harris the czar. She does less.

He attacked oil from the outset. Our prices are almost always better than those in many countries.

He is doing things that hurt the people Dems say they want to help…

He may have been moderate as a Senator and candidate. He is not governing as a moderate or centrist.

Saying he was this or that does not mean a thing now.

Oh come on man. What has he done while President that is different than the campaign? (That offends you). I can name several that I care about that he actually should be pushing for (that as President he can actually influence), that he promised, but these are genuinely leftist views, and you are probably glad that these did not pass (Free Community College, expanded ACA, Student Loan forgiveness, -basically health and education-). Again, he has failed on some promises, but most of these promises you would probably view as far left. If anything he became more moderate after winning (my guess is he said some things to lock in the votes of the Sanders camp).

And, there are several things he has done as President (and Commander in Chief) that he has failed on (pulling out of Afghanistan and not aiding Ukraine more directly), that you can directly criticize him for (and these are two issues that as President/CIC he has the final and ultimate say on so he is actually responsible, he cannot blame congress, or public support, etc...).

However, oil prices and the border are just not valid criticisms.

I don't understand the obsession on the right with seeing the border to have an opinion. I have spent a lot of time in Texas (including quite a but of time in El Paso, a border City that sits across the border from one of the most dangerous cities in the world -Juarez-). But, you don't need to see the border, you just look at the data. That is like saying, "oh you can't have an opinion on Afghanistan until you visit Kabul and see for yourself".... The border is massive, and seeing a small section of a sector of it does not change the overall situation (all sorts of sections that have different problems). Border encounters are up in 2021, which means that people are actually patrolling the border.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/11/09/whats-happening-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-in-7-charts/

As for oil, the one valid thing to cite (which nobody on the right seems to) regarding Biden, is Biden revoking the Keystone permits. And, even this is up in the air, because it would not have been operational for many years still, but most people seems to think just the fact of the construction being ongoing would keep prices a bit more under control. The was a bad move by Biden even when gas prices were low, however even this would not make oil prices vastly different (it seems to be maybe a 10 cent difference at most). And, yes our prices are almost always not just better, but drastically better (usually by 3-5 USD a gallon) than any other developed country, which is why I don't understand why so many Americans get furious about gas prices when even at our worst they are still rock bottom.
June 20th, 2022 at 8:30:34 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
He wants open borders. He trucks illegal aliens all over the USA. He is for catch and release. And he is against commonsense things like a wall that would stem the flow. I will never get why liberals think a border wall is the end of the world.

It is not complex. He has stated he wants to destroy the fossil fuels industry. See, when you have a POTUS saying that the behavior of the oil industry changes. I talked to people who said the phone started ringing the day after Trump was elected because he would be good for their business. The election of Biden clearly had the opposite effect. When a POTUS promises new taxes and new regulations (for regulation sake not even for any good reason) well investment dries up.

Now he is attacking "profit." The guy thinks profit is a dirty word. Would you invest if it was promised even more of your profits would be taxed away?

Libs voted for the guy who promised higher gas prices then whine about it when the price goes up. They are like children in that way.

Very few people on the left are "whining" about gas prices being up. In fact its rarely brought up. I hear it nonstop from the right.....

Again, we have it great compared to EU. I have said many times over the years whenever gas prices go up, Americans don't realize how good they have it, even now.

As for Biden organizing the truck of illegals into the country, that is so absurd, I don't even know how to respond.... Its just not true.

I don't think a border wall is "the end of the world" and I don't necessarily even hate it. But, even Trump gave up on it. Its a lot of resources that will not accomplish much. Don't forget a large portion of our illegal issue comes from legal issues (people overstaying their visas or coming under false pretenses), none of this would be stopped by a wall. The only way to stop it is making operating as an illegal alien close to impossible inside the county. Which, right now its simply not, there are too many workarounds for employment, and too many employers that don't care because even in the times that they get caught, the small fines don't outweigh the cost savings. If you want to stop illegal immigration, you need to cut off the incentives (IE make it impossible to work or attend school, and actually punish employers and schools who do not do proper citizenship authentication).
June 20th, 2022 at 9:30:08 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
You voted for about the most liberal candidate in modern history and expect to be taken as a libertarian?

The issue is not if I "am" a Libertarian; the issue is whether I "Vote" that way, and with one exception I always have.

In my defense the McGovern vote happened BEFORE I'd been introduced to the Libertarian party.

Once I learned about it I have voted consistently along the Libertarian party line whenever possible.

Again, in politics WGAS what I am, what matters is how I vote.

Please make a note of it to avoid making yourself look silly.
June 20th, 2022 at 10:53:23 AM permalink
RonC
Oh come on man. What has he done while President that is different than the campaign? (That offends you). I can name several that I care about that he actually should be pushing for (that as President he can actually influence), that he promised, but these are genuinely leftist views, and you are probably glad that these did not pass (Free Community College, expanded ACA, Student Loan forgiveness, -basically health and education-). Again, he has failed on some promises, but most of these promises you would probably view as far left. If anything he became more moderate after winning (my guess is he said some things to lock in the votes of the Sanders camp).

And, there are several things he has done as President (and Commander in Chief) that he has failed on (pulling out of Afghanistan and not aiding Ukraine more directly), that you can directly criticize him for (and these are two issues that as President/CIC he has the final and ultimate say on so he is actually responsible, he cannot blame congress, or public support, etc...).

However, oil prices and the border are just not valid criticisms.

I don't understand the obsession on the right with seeing the border to have an opinion. I have spent a lot of time in Texas (including quite a but of time in El Paso, a border City that sits across the border from one of the most dangerous cities in the world -Juarez-). But, you don't need to see the border, you just look at the data. That is like saying, "oh you can't have an opinion on Afghanistan until you visit Kabul and see for yourself".... The border is massive, and seeing a small section of a sector of it does not change the overall situation (all sorts of sections that have different problems). Border encounters are up in 2021, which means that people are actually patrolling the border.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/11/09/whats-happening-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-in-7-charts/

As for oil, the one valid thing to cite (which nobody on the right seems to) regarding Biden, is Biden revoking the Keystone permits. And, even this is up in the air, because it would not have been operational for many years still, but most people seems to think just the fact of the construction being ongoing would keep prices a bit more under control. The was a bad move by Biden even when gas prices were low, however even this would not make oil prices vastly different (it seems to be maybe a 10 cent difference at most). And, yes our prices are almost always not just better, but drastically better (usually by 3-5 USD a gallon) than any other developed country, which is why I don't understand why so many Americans get furious about gas prices when even at our worst they are still rock bottom.

Check the border numbers, including the estimated number of got-aways.

Check the drug numbers understanding the don’t get all of them by any stretch.

The border is far less controlled than it was when he took office.

When you tell a business you are going to shut them down and you take actions to make it harder to produce oil, you impact the attitude of the business. Why spend millions or billions exploring when you believe you are under attack?

He isn’t responsible for 100% of the increase in gas prices; he just got them headed higher with his words and deeds and then a crisis started the rest of the process.

We aren’t ready for all electric cars. His plan should be to move there, not to make people feel pain now for something we can’t even do yet.

People get upset about gas prices because they are more than double what they were…inflation hurts people. It hurts the working class more than others. Those are the people Dems say they support.

I don’t know if you remember Jimmy Carter, but he seems to be a fine man but he led us poorly as President. Not everything was his fault, but sometimes leadership is about attitude—“we are going to win the day” as opposed to “well, we may make it through the day”…negativity and positivity are both infectious. Biden is already being compared to Carter.

You also lose credibility when you take full ownership of everything good in the economy and blame the bad on everyone else. Sure, they all do that…the problem is that things are worse sometimes than others.

Not even the people on left-leaning TV and other outlets are thrilled with him

It isn’t like it is just the Republicans…of course, the diehards still think he os doing great.