In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 14th, 2022 at 3:36:44 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Although it was never a slave state, California is on track to become the first state to pay reparations to black residents.

'California reparations proposal could mean $223K per person in payments for Black residents'

“We are looking at reparations on a scale that is the largest since Reconstruction,” said Jovan Scott Lewis, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, who is a member of the task force."
December 14th, 2022 at 5:19:03 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Although it was never a slave state, California is on track to become the first state to pay reparations to black residents.

'California reparations proposal could mean $223K per person in payments for Black residents'

“We are looking at reparations on a scale that is the largest since Reconstruction,” said Jovan Scott Lewis, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, who is a member of the task force."

ROTFL
This ain't going anywhere. We have been hearing about reparations for decades. Ain't happening. The majority simply does not approve.
Bruce's Beach is an exception
It was stolen by the local govt
It was recently returned
https://nypost.com/2022/07/01/bruces-beach-seized-by-la-in-1924-returned-to-black-familys-descendants/
Reparations dont resonate with the public. Bruce's Beach is something the public can get behind.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 14th, 2022 at 1:32:56 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
This is a very bigoted post.

Probably. I would more say prejudiced. I think you just can’t be able to think clearly if you can’t figure out for yourself if you are male or female. I think it shows such a lack of common sense that how can I trust you to make other important decisions that affect me(and the country!). I think the luggage stealing shows I was correct. ( anecdotal I know).

I guess I can’t accept ‘non binary’ as anything other than a severe psychiatric problem. I’ve met many transsexual people. I don’t think I’ve ever interacted with someone who calls itself non binary.

Have you? What was your opinion of they? Otherwise normal?
December 14th, 2022 at 1:37:38 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: missedhervee
How so?

Everything he said is objectively true.

Implying that Biden should have known they are a “clearly troubled person” before the stealing came to light simply because they are trans is like a textbook example of a bigoted post.

Talk about bigoted!!!! Implying someone is ‘trans’ when they are non binary! How could you be so insensitive! You look at a picture and think the person is trans for what reason!? I’m ashamed of you, ams!
December 14th, 2022 at 1:42:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Probably. I would more say prejudiced. I think you just can’t be able to think clearly if you can’t figure out for yourself if you are male or female. I think it shows such a lack of common sense that how can I trust you to make other important decisions that affect me(and the country!). I think the luggage stealing shows I was correct. ( anecdotal I know).

I guess I can’t accept ‘non binary’ as anything other than a severe psychiatric problem. I’ve met many transsexual people. I don’t think I’ve ever interacted with someone who calls itself non binary.

I don’t think non-binary means they “can’t figure out if they’re male or female” at all. To me it seems like they just don’t feel like adhering to the societal norms usually associated with one gender.

I often joke that I wish I was a big fat lady because I’d love to be able to wear a moo moo everywhere. Think of the comfort!

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 14th, 2022 at 1:59:43 PM permalink
SOOPOO
I don’t think non-binary means they “can’t figure out if they’re male or female” at all. To me it seems like they just don’t feel like adhering to the societal norms usually associated with one gender.

I often joke that I wish I was a big fat lady because I’d love to be able to wear a moo moo everywhere. Think of the comfort!

My wife often likes to proclaim she doesn’t like to be pigeonholed into societal norms for her gender. She likes math /science. She’ll use potty mouth language like a trucker if she wants to. She’ll talk about sex like few women do. She’ll go into a boardroom as the only woman and command the respect of all the men that want to treat her like a cute little girl. But she knows she’s a woman. Even if some of the things she does are considered ‘manly’.

I think you are wrong. I think if I ask a non binary XY individual if they are a man, they would say no. They wouldn’t say ‘I don’t want to adhere to societal norms associated with one gender’. I could be wrong.
December 14th, 2022 at 2:01:33 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Who knows
Maybe I met a non binary
I try to talk to different people I meet in my travels.
Can you tell just by looking a somebody?
How do you determine if somebody is non binary?
How do you determine someone is gay
Or transsexual
Due to so much hate in this country, most of these people lead low key lives
The flaming persona is generally a small fraction but get all the attention.
If the person is low key and not a flaming persona, how do you determine???????????
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 14th, 2022 at 2:09:01 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: terapined
Who knows
Maybe I met a non binary
I try to talk to different people I meet in my travels
Can you tell just by looking a somebody?
How do you determine if somebody is non binary?
How do you determine someone is gay
Or transsexual
Due to so much hate in this country, most of these people lead low key lives
The flaming persona is generally a small fraction but get all the attention.
If the person is low key and not a flaming persona, how do you determine???????????

I agree. Im sure I’ve interacted with all sorts of people (religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, national origin) that I have no idea about any of those things. This person we are discussing makes their gender, or lack there of, clear.

To answer your question, I do not believe there is anything real in a non binary classification. I think it is made up gobbledegook. But the only way I’d ever ‘know’ someone is ‘non binary’ is if they make it known to me.
December 14th, 2022 at 3:03:02 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I think you are wrong. I think if I ask a non binary XY individual if they are a man, they would say no. They wouldn’t say ‘I don’t want to adhere to societal norms associated with one gender’. I could be wrong.

lol - I suspect they’d reply with “I’m non-binary.”

I certainly never said a non-binary person would respond that they are male.

A better question is why would you go around asking people their gender? Who cares?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 14th, 2022 at 4:32:26 PM permalink
SOOPOO
lol - I suspect they’d reply with “I’m non-binary.”

I certainly never said a non-binary person would respond that they are male.

A better question is why would you go around asking people their gender? Who cares?

For 30 years I asked everyone (at work) their age, gender, height, weight, etc…. Now that I think about it, I NEVER asked a person what their gender was! It was written on the paperwork ( or computer form the last few years) but it was certainly part of my job to know. I took care of likely 45,000 plus cases and never had someone who identified as non binary. Lots of transgendered as we were a center for their surgical procedures.

Anyway, in ‘real life’ I couldn’t imagine asking someone directly what their gender is. Just like you can’t ask a woman if she is pregnant (or just fat?).