In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 27th, 2023 at 6:17:32 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Cool
Thank you Joe Biden

This will help him politically as well. It will be hard for opponents to spin this as anything but a big success.

As far as Omar, there were plenty of quotes in the House Resolution I referenced. I am not going to spoon feed you. If you don’t want to read them in that Resolution, thats on you, not me.

I can’t even remember what thread I’m posting in, but have you seen the
Preventing
Elected
Leaders (from)
Owning
Stocks (and)
Investments

Bill proposed in the US House?
The PELOSI act!!!!

It of course has no chance, but a very similar bipartisan version, called the TRUST act, might be the first bill that the Dems and Repubs can agree on.
January 27th, 2023 at 6:30:23 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO

As far as Omar, there were plenty of quotes in the House Resolution I referenced. I am not going to spoon feed you. If you don’t want to read them in that Resolution, thats on you, not me.

I cant find any anti semetic quotes
I searched
I ask for a simple quote and you respond with BS
I would like to judge myself what you consider anti semetic but with your bias, who knows.
i'm just calling out your smear
Shes a Muslim. Is that your problem??????????????
The House resolution was all meaningless politics not to punish anybody but to insure Jews still vote Dem
It was based on the FALSE premise that anti zionism equals anti semetic
Do you believe anti zionism equals Anti semetic?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2023 at 1:26:44 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
The degree to which the right will fabricate news to further their agenda is evident from the link re many of the conspiracy theories that revolved around the beating of Paul Pelosi.
Many called the attack a fabrication of the left.
Now that a video has emerged proving certain details of the attack the fabrications have not stopped.
Some, quite a few righties, will willingly lie, and even do it proudly, to support their world view.
When they're caught in a lie, usually they slink away with no comment.
On another righty website many were laughing about the attack and expressed joy that Pelosi's family was harmed.
In another post I used the word "disgusting" to describe them.
Now, I think it's not a strong enough word. I'm looking for others.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/02/1133465632/why-conspiracy-theories-about-paul-pelosis-assault-keep-circulating
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
January 28th, 2023 at 2:48:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I didn't find an Omar quote that was all that outrageous, so I'll give you guys this one ... I'm not speaking for anyone else

the worst of it seems to be this,

Quote: link
[edited]In February, Omar responded to [criticism with] "It's all about the Benjamins baby," ... Critics jumped on the tweet and said Omar was calling up a negative and harmful stereotype of Jewish Americans... [and] In another tweet soon after, Omar named the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, saying it was funding Republican support for Israel.

This tweet received bipartisan backlash, and Omar was widely accused of anti-Semitic speech.

Omar apologized ... but held onto her criticism of AIPAC's lobbying...

The latest controversy comes from Omar's remarks at an event ...
"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country. I want to ask why is it OK for me to talk about the influence of the NRA (National Rifle Association), of fossil fuel industries or Big Pharma, and not talk about a powerful lobbying group that is influencing policies?"

So it seems to me that she has been somewhat careful about what she says. She is agitating people by coming close to using antisemitic "tropes" that one person would feel is in plain view while another person has to read between the lines. One person would say 'the Benjamins' is a direct claim that Jews are using bribery. Another person would excuse the remark as a throw away line.

Maybe it was handled in the correct way, a bipartisan scolding that does not directly name Omar. For her to be allowed to continue in this vein, well, she should know it will turn her into a complete pariah in Congress.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/07/700901834/minnesota-congresswoman-ignites-debate-on-israel-and-anti-semitism

Note that I may have missed other statements by Omar that are worse.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 28th, 2023 at 3:06:15 AM permalink
PotPie
This is a direct quote from the link in the above post:

"In February Omar responded to a tweet from journalist Glenn Greenwald, who posted about House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy threatening to punish Omar and another Congressman for being critical of Isreal."

Once again, it needs to be said:

Being critical of Israel does not make a person anti-Semitic.

McCarthy and others in the GOP are trying to tie criticism of Israel to anti-Semitism.

It won't fly.

It's an attempt to deflect away from negative comments made about Jews - not about Israel - from righties.

The GOP is trying to create the wrongful impression that because they support Israel that any suggestion that they are associated with anti-Semitism must be false.

And that is not correct.
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
January 28th, 2023 at 3:20:14 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
I didn't find an Omar quote that was all that outrageous, so I'll give you guys this one ... I'm not speaking for anyone else

the worst of it seems to be this,

Quote: link
[edited]In February, Omar responded to [criticism with] "It's all about the Benjamins baby," ... Critics jumped on the tweet and said Omar was calling up a negative and harmful stereotype of Jewish Americans... [and] In another tweet soon after, Omar named the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, saying it was funding Republican support for Israel.

This tweet received bipartisan backlash, and Omar was widely accused of anti-Semitic speech.

Omar apologized ... but held onto her criticism of AIPAC's lobbying...

The latest controversy comes from Omar's remarks at an event ...
"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country. I want to ask why is it OK for me to talk about the influence of the NRA (National Rifle Association), of fossil fuel industries or Big Pharma, and not talk about a powerful lobbying group that is influencing policies?"

So it seems to me that she has been somewhat careful about what she says. She is agitating people by coming close to using antisemitic "tropes" that one person would feel is in plain view while another person has to read between the lines. One person would say 'the Benjamins' is a direct claim that Jews are using bribery. Another person would excuse the remark as a throw away line.

Maybe it was handled in the correct way, a bipartisan scolding that does not directly name Omar. For her to be allowed to continue in this vein, well, she should know it will turn her into a complete pariah in Congress.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/07/700901834/minnesota-congresswoman-ignites-debate-on-israel-and-anti-semitism

Note that I may have missed other statements by Omar that are worse.

Good thought out response
Kudos and respect for Odious
I love these kinds of posts drilling down instead of making bombastic declarations.

Israel is always a controversial subject with many different groups having their own agenda regarding the direction of the country.
This is the exact same article I read to research what Omar has said regarding Jews and Israel. I can see how some view the "Benjamin's" quote as a dog whistle. On the flip side it's pretty accurate. I'm always amazed when I hear about the amount of time a member of Congress spends to raise money. She knows anything she tweets or says is under a microscope so she comes close but in my opinion does not cross the line into being an anti semite.
Dems are overly sensitive on Israel due to politics. They have the Jewish vote and don't want to lose that bloc. That's really the nut of the controversy

Regarding quotes. I was under the impression MTG supported the Jan 6 rioters and looked for a quote. I found an article about a quote of her calling the Jan defendants political prisoners and thought I found it. I read her entire quote and decided she wasn't defending their actions but that she was just not happy with their jail treatment. What I thought was an unreasonable statement turned out to be reasonable.
Always important to dig down to what a person actually said before making bombastic accusations
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2023 at 4:40:46 AM permalink
PotPie
Quote: terapined

supported the Jan 6 rioters

here is an article claiming that 33% of GOP members supported the actions of the January 6 rioters

how do you spell DESPICABLE

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3526469-new-poll-finds-33-percent-of-gop-support-actions-of-jan-6-rioters/

January 28th, 2023 at 5:57:36 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: PotPie
here is an article claiming that 33% of GOP members supported the actions of the January 6 rioters
how do you spell DESPICABLE
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3526469-new-poll-finds-33-percent-of-gop-support-actions-of-jan-6-rioters/

Yup
33 % of the Republican Party is the hard core Trumper base. No surprise there.
This is the 33% Disantis if fighting for
January 29th, 2023 at 9:35:57 AM permalink
terapined
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kevin-mccarthy-s-bid-to-oust-ilhan-omar-from-foreign-affairs-in-peril-as-third-gop-rep-objects/ar-AA16QiCB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=be3d60173088443d9429cfdc2b4cb422

Kudos to another Republican interested in governing instead of petty hatred
January 30th, 2023 at 3:21:22 AM permalink
PotPie
3 people were shot dead in CA a couple of days ago.
It didn't get nearly as much press coverage as the other mass shootings in CA very recently - two different ones - 18 total dead and many more wounded.
In a few years, maybe 15 or so, there will have to 20 shot dead for it to get a lot of national attention.
Right now, one shot dead doesn't even usually get reported nationally unless there was something unusual about it or it involved a famous person.
3 shot dead is borderline national news.
Not worth getting people worked up over it.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/28/1152325699/los-angeles-mass-shooting-beverly-crest