In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 30th, 2023 at 5:49:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Omar tweet
"McCarthy did nothing when Taylor Greene said Muslims don’t belong in our government.
He did nothing when Boebert said I was a terrorist.
He did nothing when MTG wanted @RashidaTlaib & I kicked out of Congress unless we swore in on a Christian Bible.
Spare me the GOP hypocrisy."

I hope she stays on the committee. This is America. We accommodate all religions. Curious, how are atheists sworn in????
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2023 at 6:09:19 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I think an atheist can state an affirmation, similar to testimony in court.
January 30th, 2023 at 6:11:06 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
Quote: terapined
Omar tweet
"McCarthy did nothing when Taylor Greene said Muslims don’t belong in our government.
He did nothing when Boebert said I was a terrorist.
He did nothing when MTG wanted @RashidaTlaib & I kicked out of Congress unless we swore in on a Christian Bible.
Spare me the GOP hypocrisy."

I hope she stays on the committee. This is America. We accommodate all religions. Curious, how are atheists sworn in????

Shocking how bold the GOP is now.
Playing to the extremists.
What you referred to is basically the same as anti-Semitism or racism.
They want to make it okay to bash Muslims.
Before the GOP emboldened people some would make these kinds of comments but not publicly.
Now, it's okay and cheered on by many, to be bigoted.
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
January 30th, 2023 at 6:23:50 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
If it weren't for a threat of Sharia Law, they likely wouldn't have said anything in opposition.
January 30th, 2023 at 6:55:10 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kevin-mccarthy-s-bid-to-oust-ilhan-omar-from-foreign-affairs-in-peril-as-third-gop-rep-objects/ar-AA16QiCB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=be3d60173088443d9429cfdc2b4cb422

Kudos to another Republican interested in governing instead of petty hatred

I look at it somewhat differently than you do. You know my feelings about Ilhan Omar. But as a general rule I don’t think the majority party should even be involved in picking who the minority party wants on these committees. As usual, of course, who started this? The Democrats with MTG and Gosar. I don’t recall your outrage when they were not allowed on a committee. I’m glad Omar will get a full vote. I expect her to win that vote. What I hope happens is the STUPID rule allowing the House Majority Leader to SINGLE-HANDEDLY decide who can be on a committee is changed. I would change the rule to allow the Minority party to appoint whoever they want.
I haven’t figured out how to handle if we have have a true INDEPENDENT elected that has no party allegiance. You shouldn’t have to kowtow to either party to be on a committee.
January 30th, 2023 at 7:06:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Obviously a lot of news coverage of the murder of the ONE black man in Memphis. As there should be. As best I can tell, it is the only murder by policemen this year in the USA so far. Of course it’s possible more will come to light.

Let’s go to the Windy City. I think they are averaging one murder a day. I must have missed those 30 news stories. I missed the peaceful protests mourning those lives lost. I’ve heard many big city mayors pontificating on the Memphis single death, while that is a DAILY occurrence under their watch. Do you think the 30 dead Chicagoans families feel better than the family of the dead guy in Memphis?

Arrest and prosecute the 5 bad cops. Don’t weaken good cops.
January 30th, 2023 at 7:28:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
Obviously a lot of news coverage of the murder of the ONE black man in Memphis. As there should be. As best I can tell, it is the only murder by policemen this year in the USA so far. Of course it’s possible more will come to light.

Let’s go to the Windy City. I think they are averaging one murder a day. I must have missed those 30 news stories. I missed the peaceful protests mourning those lives lost. I’ve heard many big city mayors pontificating on the Memphis single death, while that is a DAILY occurrence under their watch. Do you think the 30 dead Chicagoans families feel better than the family of the dead guy in Memphis?

About 1500 people in the US are murdered in the US every month. How many don't make it to a national news story for even one day? Almost all of them.

(1500 is an estimate from one year stats -- have no idea how much it changes year to year)

Maybe they can make a 24 hours of murder channel to help cover them all.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 30th, 2023 at 8:15:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

“Good cops?”

That’s an oxymoron.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 30th, 2023 at 9:43:00 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
“Good cops?”

That’s an oxymoron.

I’m assuming you are being sarcastic. Most cops I’m sure go to work everyday with the general idea of doing their job which in most cases is for the overall public good. Where we can argue is what percentage of cops are like the Memphis 5? Is it less than 1%? Between 1 and 5%? More? If you are talking inner big city cops, my (totally ill-informed) guess is near 1% would do a total beat down on a citizen for essentially no reason.

What I don’t want to see happen is more handcuffing of the other 99% of cops so that the public is OVERALL less safe. As I’ve been typing this there is likely another dead black man in one of our inner cities that no one will care about.

I have no answer for how to stop the Memphis killing.
Just as I have no answer for the daily killings in Chicago.

But I do know many of the ‘solutions’ make things worse, not better.
January 30th, 2023 at 9:49:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I’m assuming you are being sarcastic. Most cops I’m sure go to work everyday with the general idea of doing their job which in most cases is for the overall public good. Where we can argue is what percentage of cops are like the Memphis 5? Is it less than 1%? Between 1 and 5%? More? If you are talking inner big city cops, my (totally ill-informed) guess is near 1% would do a total beat down on a citizen for essentially no reason.

What I don’t want to see happen is more handcuffing of the other 99% of cops so that the public is OVERALL less safe. As I’ve been typing this there is likely another dead black man in one of our inner cities that no one will care about.

I have no answer for how to stop the Memphis killing.
Just as I have no answer for the daily killings in Chicago.

But I do know many of the ‘solutions’ make things worse, not better.

There are good cops
But not good enough to turn in bad cops
Only really good and brave citizens put away bad cops.
Good cops always look the other way which means they ain't so good, just good enough, but not more good then a good citizen putting away a bad cop.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"