In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 23rd, 2023 at 3:54:50 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit

you do have to wonder what the educator was up to, maybe it's just me. I'm not going to read what msn.com thinks about it

There is a copy of that statue in a courtyard of a college near me. I was with a group of people in a tour of the campus, and the guide, a student, didn't understand what I meant by saying it was a reproduction of Michelangelo's David. A frustrating moment. I don't think there was any connection to the person Michelangelo, or to who the subject was, that it's in the Bible ... just nothing

David is ok but I prefer the Thinker by Rodin.
I saw a bunch of his stuff in a museum and was quite impressed. He tries to capture movement in a lot of his peices. Kids probably chuckle at sitting on a toilet. It's just art
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 25th, 2023 at 8:13:06 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit

you do have to wonder what the educator was up to, maybe it's just me. I'm not going to read what msn.com thinks about it

Back in the 1500's, this statue was 1st displayed OUTSIDE in the TOWN SQUARE so EVERYBODY could appreciate this magnificent peice of art. Fascinating that deeply religious people 500 years ago had no problem with kids seeing this statue. What has changed ?????????????
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 26th, 2023 at 12:01:58 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
That guy has a small penis. He probably gets the chicks because he’s cut and then they’re disappointed.
March 26th, 2023 at 12:27:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: rquiredusername
That guy has a small penis. He probably gets the chicks because he’s cut and then they’re disappointed.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2023 at 12:37:22 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rquiredusername

He was probably gay, or bi.

Whatever, it ain't the meat it's the motion.

Or so it is written...
March 26th, 2023 at 12:55:13 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee
He was probably gay, or bi.

Whatever, it ain't the meat it's the motion.

Or so it is written...

Hardly
He seemed to be pretty active sexually with wives and concubines with many children
Jesus on the other hand. Makes more sense that he was probably gay
March 26th, 2023 at 1:03:04 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
\
Jesus on the other hand. Makes more sense that he was probably gay

As a man living in the South you shouldn't be saying things like that, you are likely to be found hanging from a tree.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 26th, 2023 at 2:54:32 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The Italians maintained the Greek sculpting style into the Renaissance. Cultural values were different in those days. Small penises were considered more esthetic when it came to art.

‘...but back then, most evidence points to the fact that small penises were considered better than big ones.’

That 17' tall statue of David was sculpted from a piece of carrera marble that laid on the ground exposed to the elements for 25 years after it was rejected as inferior by other artists. Michaelangelo and Da Vinci both wanted to use it.

Thankfully, the church gave it to Michaelangelo. Da Vinci would likely have tried to turn it into a statue of a horse, and probably would not have finished it. He was a slow worker and was known not to finish some of his works.

Both artists carried out numerous dissections of corpses to study human anatomy.

March 26th, 2023 at 5:08:04 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
The hands and fingers don't match the small penis.

Likely done intentionally to emphasize that mating is overrated as an essence of life.

I'd also expect Fibonacci ratios being in play for the purpose of presenting beauty in proportion.
March 26th, 2023 at 5:31:41 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Looking at the detail on the hand reminds me how difficult it must be to sculpt at such a high level.

One wrong chip and viola', ruined.

Are there any sculptors in the same league today?

The last one who arguably came close to that level of greatness was probably Auguste Rodin, but he died over 100 years ago.

I enjoy looking at his works on permanent display at the Maryhill Museum.