In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 3rd, 2017 at 12:07:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
More work/life balance!

This has been discussed for years, some will like it and some will not. Flexibility will as always win out in the end.

It's only flexible for the employer because that's the one making the choice.

Suppose right now you have a job that involves quite a bit of overtime. Over the year, that's a lot of money lost without time and half, for instance.

If you can't schedule your time off, you can't even guarantee you could work a second job. You already have bills and payments, kids, mortgage. etc.,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 3rd, 2017 at 12:15:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
Many countries require mandatory vacations. Some as long as 6 to 8 weeks.

Yes, but paid vacations are not given in exchange for overtime.

Now, if overtime is time and a half, that would mean 1 hour of overtime = 1.5 regular hours.

Thus if you get a paid day off for every 5.3 hours of overtime (assuming an 8 hour day), you forego a day's work rather than getting more money.

Say this week you work the requisite 5.3 hours of overtime between Monday and Thursday, then get Friday off. That gives you 5 paid days for four days and 5.3 hours worked.

If instead you worked Friday and got overtime pay, you'd be paid for 6 days having worked five days plus 5.3 hours.

Most people I know would pick the latter option.

An employee's time is not exactly a commodity. It can't just be sold to someone else if three is a surplus.

Still, I'd take the new rule if, and only if, it were the employee's decision whether to take overtime pay or time off.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 3rd, 2017 at 4:40:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
It's only flexible for the employer because that's the one making the choice.

Suppose right now you have a job that involves quite a bit of overtime. Over the year, that's a lot of money lost without time and half, for instance.

If you can't schedule your time off, you can't even guarantee you could work a second job. You already have bills and payments, kids, mortgage. etc.,

Employer is the one buying the service so they get to choose. Why would the flexibility change scheduling your time off?
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2017 at 4:44:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Ex-NM science teacher pleads guilty to making meth

Business must still be good.
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2017 at 5:14:59 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
May 4th, 2017 at 2:57:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
College locked down after student with glue gun mistaken for armed man

Silly snowflake doesn't even know what a gun looks like! Unqualified campus cops lock the place down at the drop of a hat. Top it all off the student minding his own business was black.

The powers on campus will have fun with this one!
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2017 at 5:11:23 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Silly snowflake doesn't even know what a gun looks like!

What does being a snowflake have to do with knowing what a gun looks like?

In your desperation to insult, again, you make no sense.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 4th, 2017 at 6:12:55 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
News item from my local tv news.

Law enforcement recruitment numbers are down across the nation.

Which is good if you are looking for a job in that area. They are more likely to overlook minor indiscretions.

I remember a friend in high school interviewed for an academy position. I think they just laughed at him. I knew he wasn't going to get in, not unless they were crazy.

Funny you should bring this up. I live in Buffalo, NY. On the road to work there is a billboard recruiting cops..... for Atlanta, Georgia!
May 4th, 2017 at 6:20:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
Funny you should bring this up. I live in Buffalo, NY. On the road to work there is a billboard recruiting cops..... for Atlanta, Georgia!

When I was in az they had ads for state cops wanted. In WPA/WNY you would laugh at such an ad. They almost had to hide the test sites so many applicants.
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2017 at 5:52:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Beautiful British girl (22) partying on Greek island of Zante awoke and asked her roommates to open the curtains because everything was black. The puzzled roommates told her they were already open and sunlight was streaming directly on to her. Methyl alcohol in drinks to save bars money cost her eyesight in both eyes and she is now on continual dialysis probably for life.

Isn't that an old moonshine risk? Seems so. White lightening.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?