In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 29th, 2017 at 1:40:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Well, ... found out his Mr. Clean image was simply a public relations program.

All the pro golfers knew the rumors about
Tiger and his partying with expensive
hookers for years. None of them were
surprised when the story broke. What
did surprise is how completely Tiger
melted down over it, and he still hasn't
recovered. Never liked the arrogant prick,
still don't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 30th, 2017 at 4:49:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some Denver employer Japped their sports commentator by firing him for expressing regret that a Jap won the Indy 500.
May 30th, 2017 at 5:31:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Some Denver employer Japped their sports commentator by firing him for expressing regret that a Jap won the Indy 500.

Less then half the drivers are from the USA
Odds are that somebody from another country would have won
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 30th, 2017 at 5:36:00 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Less then half the drivers are from the USA
Odds are that somebody from another country would have won

I was pulling for him to win as the race went on; I don't know anything about him, but I liked the way he was driving.

I enjoyed the variety of different nationalities of racers and teams and the respect shown for the winner by the various drivers I heard interviewed post-race.

How odd to giver a crap about the nationality of the winner...even odder to do something stupid enough to lose your job over it!!
May 30th, 2017 at 6:56:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC

I enjoyed the variety of different nationalities of racers and teams and the respect shown for the winner by the various drivers I heard interviewed post-race.

How odd to giver a crap about the nationality of the winner...even odder to do something stupid enough to lose your job over it!!

Indy might have once been an American thing, but has been internationalized since at least the 1980s. NASCAR pushed it aside as far as American racing goes. It is more European than American in every respect.

I get where the guy is coming from, seen same feelings at a local parade where you had better not show up with a foreign car unless it was British. But not right to come out against the guy. Have to wonder if the writer was as upset about all the Honda engines in the cars?
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2017 at 6:56:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: RonC
I think it was the juxtaposition of Japanese and Memorial Day.

Note: I said 'japped' as a joke... hope someone at least got it.
May 30th, 2017 at 7:30:03 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I think it was the juxtaposition of Japanese and Memorial Day.

I agree that may have been his initial thought...sometimes, initial thoughts should be tempered with the sane ones that often follow...
May 30th, 2017 at 8:03:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Italian born Mario Andretti won pole position in the only Indy car race I attended. That was 1967. Of course he became an American, but probably had more connections to the war than this guy. Or maybe Italy doesn't count.

Of course, the ridiculous thing to me is the race is always run on Memorial Day weekend anyway. So, it's going to happen anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 30th, 2017 at 9:13:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Of course, the ridiculous thing to me is the race is always run on Memorial Day weekend anyway. So, it's going to happen anyway.

????????????

Something wrong with running it Memorial Day weekend?

I remember when for some reason they could not show it live. As a kid I didn't notice the difference, but the adults did.
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2017 at 10:45:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine\

Of course, the ridiculous thing to me is the race is always run on Memorial Day weekend anyway.[/b
So, it's going to happen anyway.

????????????

Something wrong with running it Memorial Day weekend?

I remember when for some reason they could not show it live. As a kid I didn't notice the difference, but the adults did.

The guy is a sportscaster. He might have easily noted before this moment that the race is run on Memorial Day weekend every year and the people who race aren't always American. Saving his crack until some guy's big moment is kind of shitty.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?