In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 20th, 2017 at 11:55:20 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
It looks like Ford is not concerned about the ability of the administration to implement a border adjustment tax.
Lockheed to build F 16 in India. http://thediplomat.com/2017/06/us-agrees-to-build-f-16-fighter-jets-in-india/ So much for Mr. Trump not exporting jobs. One of the few things we were superior at was building aircraft. Now the taxpayers that paid for all the R&D on these fighter jets are going to get screwed yet again. Our tax dollars will be used to buy these fighters from India. How many ways can we get screwed?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 20th, 2017 at 12:13:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Lockheed to build F 16 in India. http://thediplomat.com/2017/06/us-agrees-to-build-f-16-fighter-jets-in-india/ So much for Mr. Trump not exporting jobs. One of the few things we were superior at was building aircraft. Now the taxpayers that paid for all the R&D on these fighter jets are going to get screwed yet again. Our tax dollars will be used to buy these fighters from India. How many ways can we get screwed?

Nothing to do with President Trump. Forever it has been required that when we sell military hardware to these places that there be local production of one form or another. I would prefer we tell India to take a walk, but I suppose there is advantage in them not getting a local fighter built.
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2017 at 12:20:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Crews Build Controversial ‘Homeless Wall’ In San Jose

California just keeps looking more and more gilded to me the more I look. I love how the advocates say "let them live there" but the locals rightly point out to take them to their neighborhoods and see how they like it.

The next tech slowdown is going to be just brutal out there.
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2017 at 12:22:55 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

As far as I know, the US Military isn't buying F16s. Those are for export. It would, of course, be better for us if they were built here.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 20th, 2017 at 1:31:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
deleted
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 20th, 2017 at 1:45:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
As far as I know, the US Military isn't buying F16s. Those are for export. It would, of course, be better for us if they were built here.

Is Turkey still turning out F-16s?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 20th, 2017 at 2:44:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
I think we will buy some of them and give them to our allies from smaller countries? When I read about a "coalition" partner doing some air force thing, it seems like they are flying F-16's or whatever it is that isn't our top of the line planes? It seems only the UK or Israel or those category of allies get the #1's, and the lessor allies get stepped down versions of our most sophisticated arms?

I remember when China demanded that Boeing do in country manufacturing, it wasn't very long before China was able to build their own versions of large commuter aircraft? India will be no better. Now that we are giving this technology away, it won't be long before they are mass manufacturing and selling fighter aircraft around the world, and the US will get cut out of the loop.
June 20th, 2017 at 2:52:00 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
Nothing to do with President Trump.
He isn't fully responsible for anything. But he should have some sway about where those fighters are built. As I said the R&D was paid for by, well, me and you. I don't want them giving that tech to anyone. Trump has bloviated about manufacturing staying in the US. It couldn't be any more high tech or in our interest to keep that level of sophisticated manufacturing "in house".

If lockheed is going to manufacture outside the US, the F&%$# lockheed right in the bum. They can get the F out of our country and take those double dipping generals with them. Traitors. No different than Clinton giving the Chinese our guidance technology.

Meanwhile, we are stuck with this F-35 that is the most over priced weapon in all of history and the O2 systems keep failing the pilots.
June 20th, 2017 at 2:53:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Illinois careens into financial meltdown – and not even the lottery is safe

How on earth can you not have a lottery able to pay out prizes? Where is Lefty Rosenthal when you need him?
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2017 at 2:55:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I think we will buy some of them and give them to our allies from smaller countries? When I read about a "coalition" partner doing some air force thing, it seems like they are flying F-16's or whatever it is that isn't our top of the line planes?

Hardly. It's a 40-year old design. It's still in use, but far from top of the line.

It's also one of the most successful military jets commercially speaking.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER