terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
No different than any other non-profit.

Churches are non-profit???????????
What a fantasy
A ton of churches just looking to rake in the money
That's reality
Take the religion of scientology. Their sole purpose is to rake in money. Just like any business
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 26th, 2017 at 5:50:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Churches are non-profit???????????
What a fantasy
A ton of churches just looking to rake in the money
That's reality
Take the religion of scientology. Their sole purpose is to rake in money. Just like any business

Maybe you do not understand the term "non-profit."
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2017 at 6:40:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
One thing was that president Juarez stole ("expropriated") all the lands and most of the property of the Catholic church in Mexico;
How did the church acquire the property?

Quote:
Yet it also set a precedent for the state to steal ("expropriate") anything it wanted; as it later did with the electric companies,
Not sure what you mean here, but I know the the railroads got a bundle.

Quote:
Churches don't enjoy a special tax exemption for religious reasons, but rather for non-profit reasons.
I thought it was because of some freedom of religion thing?

Quote:
And the fact is that many churches spend considerable amounts of their tax-exempt money on worthwhile charities such as education and healthcare.
I agree. And I admire those that give so much to those in need. At times I do wonder what is their motivation though? Why do people give?

Quote:
So you want to be careful, and very deliberate.
Church's do many good things. There are also several fraternal organizations that give much to the underprivileged. I don't want to be the judge. I have to wonder about the international banking that the Vatican does? They are a global business that launders billions of dollars for profit. I don't have a link but I know of large church organizations that own stock in military enterprises, and I wonder how they justify making money from the MIC?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 27th, 2017 at 6:12:02 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Maybe you do not understand the term "non-profit."

Maybe you don't understand churches
Try living in the real world instead of spouting religious propaganda
Take the church of scientology
They are absolutely in it for a profit
Mega churches? They are absolutely in it for a profit. That's reality no matter what the religious propaganda says

To me a conservative principal is for people and institutions to pay there fare share
No free rides
Religion is no different then Comic-con or a Anime cosplay gathering
They sell a make believe fantasy
The difference, the greed of churches far out paces comic-con or anime-con
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 27th, 2017 at 7:15:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: petroglyph
How did the church acquire the property?

No clue.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here, but I know the the railroads got a bundle.

That did the people these companies served get? At one point, the state-owned phone company was so bad, the waiting list for new lines was over a year long. Service was outrageously expensive, to boot.

Quote:
I thought it was because of some freedom of religion thing?

No. In almost all western countries, tax exemptions are for non-profits regardless of belief.

Quote:
I have to wonder about the international banking that the Vatican does? They are a global business that launders billions of dollars for profit.

The Vatican is a sovereign country (really). You won't affect it by removing tax exemptions form the Catholic church in the US or elsewhere.

I'm sure many churches do abuse their tax exempt status, or rather the people leading them do. See the mansions and private planes and other things these leaders enjoy. And probably they get them tax-free, by keeping them property of a church. Anyone can easily get by on no salary, if one's company, or church, foots all of one's bills, no matter how outrageous.

Solving that without messing up all non profits is a complicated problem.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 28th, 2017 at 12:56:26 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Democratic party blocks Single payer health care in California. https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/06/27/california-scheming-democrats-betray-single-payer-again/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 28th, 2017 at 3:25:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Democratic party blocks Single payer health care in California. https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/06/27/california-scheming-democrats-betray-single-payer-again/

I expect they will keep trying, just that for now even the far left realized it needed to be paid for. If the Obamacare replacement goes to a block grant system look for it in a few years.

Then watch California go bankrupt.
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2017 at 4:07:33 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Eighty year old passenger tossed a handful of coins at jet engine during boarding 'for good luck' causing massive delay and inspection of engine.
June 28th, 2017 at 5:15:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Please do not confuse the possible defunding of Planned Parenthood with the end of legal abortion. At my previous hospital we did many abortions, and the OB/GYNs who did them brought the patients. Not PP. The patients either had 'commercial' health insurance, or Medicaid (the majority). The patients could just walk into these doctors' offices and be scheduled for their abortions; they need not go through PP.

PP has expanded it's role, now encompassing cancer screening, communicable disease (STD) prevention, etc.... I am 100% for a woman's right to have an abortion if she wants. I am against PP using tax dollars to advocate a political position.
June 28th, 2017 at 5:23:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
Please do not confuse the possible defunding of Planned Parenthood with the end of legal abortion. At my previous hospital we did many abortions, and the OB/GYNs who did them brought the patients. Not PP. The patients either had 'commercial' health insurance, or Medicaid (the majority). The patients could just walk into these doctors' offices and be scheduled for their abortions; they need not go through PP.

PP has expanded it's role, now encompassing cancer screening, communicable disease (STD) prevention, etc.... I am 100% for a woman's right to have an abortion if she wants. I am against PP using tax dollars to advocate a political position.

A commonsense position.
The President is a fink.