In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

August 16th, 2017 at 4:28:00 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Yet the GOP is somehow the "racist" party.

You can't have it both ways. You can't defend people saluting Hitler, and then wonder why everyone calls you the "racist" party. (Not sure what the Jews have to do with Robert Lee.)

Trump insists that there were "very fine people" marching in defense of the Robert Lee statue. But if you're marching to protect a historic statue and the other people in the march are chanting anti-Jewish slurs, what's the proper response? Continue marching? Politely request that they refrain from insulting the Jewish people? Leave the march? Fight them? (If you're ever in a march and you find yourself agreeing with klansmen, that ought to be a wake-up call that you're in the wrong march.)

The irony is that the GOP is the Party of Lincoln. You can be the Party of Lincoln, or you can be the Party of Lee, but you can't be both. Defending neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and white supremacists is a dead end street, politically. Trump won 25% of the Jewish vote in 2016. How's he going to pull that off again in 2020?

August 16th, 2017 at 5:00:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
You can't have it both ways. You can't defend people saluting Hitler, and then wonder why everyone calls you the "racist" party. (Not sure what the Jews have to do with Robert Lee.)

I have been saying it. Democrats are the party of the KKK and Jim Crow south. They praised a KKK leader in the senate into the 2000s, until his death. Democrats support taking race into account for education and job selection. Yet the GOP is the "racist party?"

Did Obama denounce BLM for their violence?

Quote:
Trump insists that there were "very fine people" marching in defense of the Robert Lee statue. But if you're marching to protect a historic statue and the other people in the march are chanting anti-Jewish slurs, what's the proper response? Continue marching? Politely request that they refrain from insulting the Jewish people? Leave the march? Fight them? (If you're ever in a march and you find yourself agreeing with klansmen, that ought to be a wake-up call that you're in the wrong march.)

Sometimes more than one group comes to a march. Did you see the Jewish insults at OWS camps? Not direct, but all kinds of references to "money changers" or other code words. I saw the posters they put up. There were no calls for Obama to denounce them.

See, it is just the GOP that gets called out. Democrats and liberals get a free pass for the racism of their groups, as it is OK for non-whites to be racist and make racist remarks. Some of us have had it with this.

I am not going to put myself on the other side of issues just because a KKK member agrees. We both probably are 100% against less qualified people getting admitted to law and medical schools based on skin color. I am not having a beer with him, but neither am I going liberal just because he agrees with some of my positions.
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2017 at 5:03:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
Stupid decisions at Gettysburg
He destroyed his army by stupidly attacking the Union at Gettysburg.
Thousands of confederate soldiers dead due to sheer incompetence of a general

He had no choice, the enemy was there and facing them. Thousands of Union soldiers died because of bad decisions Meade as well. Doesn't mean Lee was not a good general.

Do you consider McAurther a bad general for his loss at Battaan? All those soldiers treated awful by racist Asians due to him.
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2017 at 5:12:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Do you consider McAurther a bad general for his loss at Battaan? All those soldiers treated awful by racist Asians due to him.
Yes, I blame him for establishing a plan for retreat to Battan but no plan to take any food with them. I also blame him for an unsupported assumption that it was just a minor raid at Pearl Harbor and not full scale war.
He fled to Australia and let General Wainwright take teh punishment.
August 16th, 2017 at 5:19:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
Yes, I blame him for establishing a plan for retreat to Battan but no plan to take any food with them. I also blame him for an unsupported assumption that it was just a minor raid at Pearl Harbor and not full scale war.
He fled to Australia and let General Wainwright take teh punishment.

Was directed at someone else, but did this make him a bad general?
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2017 at 5:31:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Was directed at someone else, but did this make him a bad general?
Yes. A general is supposed to know that an army travels on its stomach and should not order destruction of all 50 calibre machine guns untll terms of surrender have been worked out.
August 17th, 2017 at 7:06:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Should someone, Allah forbid, ever brutally beat up Donald trump, please remember to condemn the violence on both sides.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 17th, 2017 at 7:13:06 AM permalink
Nareed
LOL!

https://www.statnews.com/2017/08/16/white-nationalists-genetic-ancestry-test/

Two points:

1) All Homo sapiens trace their ancestry back to Africa. all of them, no exceptions. If white supremacists insist they have no African ancestors at all, are they declaring themselves to be non-human?

2) Many modern humans have some Neanderthal genes. So not only are there no "pure" human races of any kind, there isn't a "pure" human species.
August 17th, 2017 at 8:13:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: reno
The irony is that the GOP is the Party of Lincoln.

It hasn't been since Nixon's southern strategy.
August 17th, 2017 at 10:34:45 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed
It hasn't been since Nixon's southern strategy.

Exactly. Parties change and they change so much that neither party can claim a long philosophical legacy. The Democrats were the party of the Jim Crow South, but after the civil rights act of 1964 segregationists like Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms and Trent Lott began moving to the GOP. I'm not saying that the GOP is a racist party, but the racist voters in the South have found a home there, many of my relatives included.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.