In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

August 31st, 2017 at 2:09:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I heard a snippet today that said some 25 trillion gallons have fallen so far. Obviously that's an impossible number to grasp, so stated differently, the amount of water that has fallen in Houston would power Niagara Falls for an entire year. A year. A f#$%ing YEAR.

We were looking at this at the courthouse the other day. This rain was around 10% of Lake Erie. What we also noticed was just how much water is in the Great Lakes. Amazing.
The President is a fink.
August 31st, 2017 at 2:17:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
They are called the great lakes and so we tend to think of them as lakes, they are inland seas and under that name would be more impressive.
August 31st, 2017 at 2:22:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
They are called the great lakes and so we tend to think of them as lakes, they are inland seas and under that name would be more impressive.

A "sea" would imply salt water. I guess I tool it for granted, having seen Erie as a kid then lining near Ontario later. I had an assistant manager had to go from Albany to Rochester for some kind of helping some other branch. Guy saw the lake, came back, and was in disbelief! He went to college in flipping Niagara Falls yet never saw how big the lake was. I guess on the edge there you don't. When Donnie Brasco took Lefty Ruggerio to IIRC Lake Michigan, Lefty was the same amazement, he insisted it had to be an ocean.

I guess you don't know what you know sometimes.
The President is a fink.
August 31st, 2017 at 2:33:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
LINK CORRECTED

Greek Life retreat cancelled after banana peel found in tree

There are snowflakes and then there are snowflakes! The students who are "uncomfortable" maybe should drop out so they have less student loans bogging them down when they can't make it in the real world in a few years.
The President is a fink.
September 1st, 2017 at 3:57:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Ed Cunningham, color analyst for ESPN football games resigned so as to no longer be a part of such an injury prone game.

Took me forever to figure out 'color analyst', finally had to google it. A second announcer who provides 'background color' when the main announcer is not doing any sort of play by play announcing.
September 1st, 2017 at 6:25:49 AM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
We were looking at this at the courthouse the other day. This rain was around 10% of Lake Erie. What we also noticed was just how much water is in the Great Lakes. Amazing.

Little known fact since I live here:

Lakes Michigan and Huron are actually one lake, NOT two as most people learn. Therefore, it is larger than Lake Superior.
September 1st, 2017 at 6:35:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ibeatyouraces
Little known fact since I live here:

Lakes Michigan and Huron are actually one lake, NOT two as most people learn. Therefore, it is larger than Lake Superior.

I was always taught is two, the map indicates a small connection but I'm not of a mind to merge them:

The President is a fink.
September 1st, 2017 at 9:09:31 AM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
I was always taught is two, the map indicates a small connection but I'm not of a mind to merge them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Michigan%E2%80%93Huron

"Huron and Michigan are hydrologically a single lake because the flow of water through the straits keeps their water levels in near-equilibrium. (Although the flow is generally eastward, the water moves in either direction depending on local conditions.) Combined, Lake Michigan–Huron is the largest fresh water lake by area in the world."
September 1st, 2017 at 9:34:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

"Huron and Michigan are hydrologically a single lake because the flow of water through the straits keeps their water levels in near-equilibrium. (Although the flow is generally eastward, the water moves in either direction depending on local conditions.) Combined, Lake Michigan–Huron is the largest fresh water lake by area in the world."

So is there just one ocean instead of 4 (or 5 if you count the Southern Ocean?)
The President is a fink.
September 1st, 2017 at 10:58:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

If you've been there, it's 5 miles across,
not small at all. It only looks small on a
map. When you cross it on the bridge,
it's very easy to see it's all one lake.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.