Threads: 146
Justice Thomas made a rare TV appearance on
Laura's show tonight, she clerked for him in
his early days on the SCOTUS. What a great
guy, what a giant intellect. It's no wonder
he's the go-to guy on the court that the
other justices seek out for advice. I could
have listened to him for an hour.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 2nd, 2017 at 3:55:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
CBS sues photographer for using a still shot from a 59 year old episode of Gunsmoke, Dooly Surrenders.
November 2nd, 2017 at 4:11:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: petroglyph
More doubt on the horizon.

I'm not sure why this story still has me going, since my main interest in it , starting out, was about the survival scenario, my having a slight interest in gear, methods, knowledge ...

now my interest is about what kind of apparent scam these two were up to, and I'm treating it 24/7 news cycle style, I need to chill

the latest not already mentioned up-thread already seems to be the fabricated or vastly exaggerated shark attack, and a report that the lady who owned the sailboat had an accident in the past, "In 2012 [Appel] ran aground on the rocks off Magic Island after her engine lost power. She went to the hospital. That boat was a total loss." [from link below]

Also, her mother wasn't always telling the truth it seems; she and the family seemed little worried about the missing women after a certain point. You might wonder if they were just used to being out of touch, or whatever, but I think it is also possible they knew where they were, and that was 'not at sea' all that time but somewhere else. Did they originally contemplate some kind of insurance scam, being declared dead?

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/36732640/experts-say-parts-of-dramatic-rescued-at-sea-story-dont-add-up
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 2nd, 2017 at 8:50:27 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sam Clovis has withdrawn his nomination for an agriculture post.
Well yea
He's next on Mueller's hit list for breaking the law
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 2nd, 2017 at 12:34:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Insurance scam for the woman to file for total loss of her yacht???
November 2nd, 2017 at 5:45:36 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
Insurance scam for the woman to file for total loss of her yacht???

getting declared dead while actually not out at sea but hiding out somewhere, and collect the life insurance, might have been the idea

just a theory, would explain some things, not others. If correct they figured out it's too hard, too hard to wait, too hard to not be seen, etc. Original experience with insurance on first boat might have given them some ideas.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 2nd, 2017 at 6:27:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: odiousgambit
I'm not sure why this story still has me going, since my main interest in it , starting out, was about the survival scenario, my having a slight interest in gear, methods, knowledge ...
That's me. Had boats for quite a while. I learned something new and pertinent each year. Finally decided if I got killed out there it would be my own fault. I tried to have redundant everything, and a plan if that failed, and a plan after that.

Quote:
now my interest is about what kind of apparent scam these two were up to, and I'm treating it 24/7 news cycle style, I need to chill
Sometimes I go a little ocd myself. lol
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 2nd, 2017 at 6:51:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit

just a theory, would explain some things, not others.

Might have done it just for the publicity,
that can be worth a lot these days.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 2nd, 2017 at 7:41:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Might have done it just for the publicity,
that can be worth a lot these days.
Some just have to be the center of attention. Reminds me of the screamers and cacklers. Hurts my hearing, what's left of it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 2nd, 2017 at 11:17:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
If its an insurance scam its for the hull insurance because life insurance generally does not pay off until there is a declaration of death by a court of competent jurisdiction. In California, its eleven years missing or else seven years if there are indicial of violence. I don't know what it is in Hawaii. If instead they file under the Death on the High Seas Act there would be much more speedier processing but it would be difficult to re-appear and not have to pay the money back.

Re-appearing as New Identity would require an existing identity be waiting for them each.