In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 3rd, 2017 at 12:07:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Walmart shooter was skilled sheet metal fabricator who 'could have worked any place in town' despite his taciturn nature. He had failed in two businesses he had started and had filed personal bankruptcy. Was frequently seen toting a rifle case and one neighbor said he was the only person her dog ever growled at.
November 3rd, 2017 at 5:17:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
If its an insurance scam its for the hull insurance because life insurance generally does not pay off until there is a declaration of death by a court of competent jurisdiction. In California, its eleven years missing or else seven years if there are indicial of violence. I don't know what it is in Hawaii. If instead they file under the Death on the High Seas Act there would be much more speedier processing but it would be difficult to re-appear and not have to pay the money back.

Re-appearing as New Identity would require an existing identity be waiting for them each.

well, my 'theory' - which I have little faith in - is that life insurance scam was the plan and they discovered all these things after the plan got underway and realized they had to abandon such ideas. Maybe they then decided to just collect insurance on the boat only - is it insured and will the insurance company pay for a loss here??
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 3rd, 2017 at 3:25:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Maybe I have the "DT"s and am hitting the mouse twice, but I don't think so.
November 3rd, 2017 at 3:25:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
is it insured and will the insurance company pay for a loss here??
I don't know if there is insurance. It tends to be expensive but many cruising yachters consider it essential. Most policies would cover a mandatory evacuation as a 'sinking' since it was an American officer who declared the voyage to manifestly unsafe. If the Japanese (or other) navy had encountered the vessel they could only advise the mariners to abandon ship, not compel them to.

Usual procedure is to attach a yellow marker to the hull as well as an electronic beacon but often some parties have an economic interest in marine salvage being impossible and a Board of Inquiry being without any evidence.

I have greater faith in your theory than you do simply because you were immediately suspicious.

Meanwhile, two women were rescued off the New South Wales coast several hours after they radioed the 20MM yacht was taking on water. Yacht sank about an hour later. Report of two children having been on board appears to have been erroneous.
November 3rd, 2017 at 3:29:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Australian cockatoos (cockatiels?) usually eat fruit, nuts, bark and wood but for some unknown reason they have become extremely fond of internet cable particularly the spares that were left distributed around the country to aid in speedy repairs.

No one seems to know why the parrot-like birds are so fond of the stuff.

NOTE: It is also an Australian term for the lookout in a game of TwoUp which is illegal on most days in Australia but often played in rural watering holes despite it being illegal.
November 3rd, 2017 at 7:58:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
400 charging stations to be built in Europe by a team of four automakers.
TheVerge.
November 4th, 2017 at 7:15:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: terapined
I feel sorry for anybody in scientology
How about Brad Bufana, suicide at age 34. His suicide note thanked several people in his life but none of them were his fellow scientologists.
November 6th, 2017 at 5:32:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The USA
The land of mass shootings
Vegas was only a month ago
Now 26 in Texas
When will the next one be
Probably very soon
Too soon
sad
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 6th, 2017 at 7:19:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It would seem that in America, you need a gun to defend yourself against all those people free to own guns.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 6th, 2017 at 6:09:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Trump admin Hope Hicks stuns at Jap dinner
tonight. Nice job..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.