In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 18th, 2017 at 11:31:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
UK justice minister spouts off about Ebay and others selling lipstick sized plastic mobile phones that are largely used inside prisons.

I know there is a "Stingray" device, a fake cell phone tower, why don't prisons just use a low power fake cell phone tower? It would not invade the privacy of guards or office workers or visitors or passersby, but would detect in-prison cell phones that were turned on at the time.

Seems better than trying to get Google to stop selling them.
December 18th, 2017 at 12:18:06 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Amtrak Derailment ONTO Interstate 5 in Washington State. Rural area of it about 80 miles north of where I used to live. Dupont is closest town.

Maiden run on that new route. Track belongs to a freight rail out there, didn't catch the company name. There is positive control on the track.

The bridge appears to be disintegrated on the edges in some pictures, but that could have happened when the cars scraped it as they piled off. Railcars are on both sides of the highway and still dangling.

78 pax, 5 crew. Several (5)autos and 2 semis hit and overturned as the train derailed. 12 train cars pulled by 2 engines. 13 of the 14 derailed.

Several deaths, all reportedly on the train, not highway traffic. 77 people transported to area hospital.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 18th, 2017 at 12:38:00 PM permalink
Fleastiff
First Portland to Seattle run, one would think there would have been a careful inspection of equipment and right of way. I sure hope it wasn't that the car was too wide for the bridge or something.

Heavy equipment will undoubtedly be there plus floodlights before any investigation starts, I doubt anyone wants to get too close if the cars are still dangling.

Tail gating on the freeway will diminish for awhile.
December 18th, 2017 at 1:14:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I see Track Palin was arrested for domestic violence
So I am thinking to my self, sad but some couples fight and one takes it to far
So I click on the story

Track got arrested for attacking his father, Sarah's husband
It was Sarah Palin that called the cops on her son
Apparently Track was drunk and called up the family to them he was coming over to beat up Dad
He comes over, breaks a window to get in to beat up his Dad
WTF
What is wrong with this family?
Sure I have gotten into fights, as a kid
But to beat up somebody as an adult, just never enters my head. Beat up your Father?????? Just really bizarre

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sarah-palins-son-arrested-for-robbing-home-assaulting-dad
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 18th, 2017 at 1:30:02 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
I see Track Palin was arrested for domestic violence
So I am thinking to my self, sad but some couples fight and one takes it to far
So I click on the story

Track got arrested for attacking his father, Sarah's husband
It was Sarah Palin that called the cops on her son
Apparently Track was drunk and called up the family to them he was coming over to beat up Dad
He comes over, breaks a window to get in to beat up his Dad
WTF
What is wrong with this family?
Sure I have gotten into fights, as a kid
But to beat up somebody as an adult, just never enters my head. Beat up your Father?????? Just really bizarre

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sarah-palins-son-arrested-for-robbing-home-assaulting-dad

The Palins are pure white trash. I've said it over and over again. How many drunken brawls can one family have?!

Thankfully, we don't have to see Sarah in the headlines like we used to.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 18th, 2017 at 2:50:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't know if Trump read his own Security document he signed off on, but it apparently paints Russia as an enemy /cold war style.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 18th, 2017 at 4:15:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: beachbumbabs
Amtrak Derailment ONTO Interstate 5 in Washington State. Rural area of it about 80 miles north of where I used to live. Dupont is closest town.

Eagle scout first to save passengers; http://www.king5.com/video/news/local/former-eagle-scout-recalls-how-he-ran-to-the-scene-to-help-people-get-out/281-2841194
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 18th, 2017 at 4:56:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Economic Optimism Soars, Boosting Trump

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/18/economic-optimism-soaring-helping-trump-cnbc-survey.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 18th, 2017 at 7:58:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
A drug has been on the market since 1958. After all this time, drug companies can manipulate the price.

From $50 a bottle, to as high as $15000.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/this-old-drug-was-free-now-its-dollar109500-a-year/ar-BBGWVt0?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 19th, 2017 at 12:55:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Maybe that Australian biochemist has the right idea. He has high school students synthesize these expensive drugs in school.