In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 11th, 2018 at 10:53:18 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't get the problem with the high living standard nor why it would be easier to balance the budget if it was lower. (Other than reduced handouts)

Exactly, if we only provide services and subsidies at the level of an international standard our spending would be reduced greatly.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 11th, 2018 at 11:03:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
Exactly, if we only provide services and subsidies at the level of an international standard our spending would be reduced greatly.

I would love to make some cuts. Soon as it gets proposed some Democrat runs ads with the GOP pushing old women in wheelchairs over cliffs.

Reality is most of the budget is on autopilot and it does not matter year to year which party is in the WH. The baseline budgeting needs to be repealed. It is part of what is causing the collapse of the USA. We are probably in our last 50 years in current form.
The President is a fink.
January 11th, 2018 at 11:07:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Interesting because my idea of fiscally conservative would include balanced budget and no deficit spending unless a major war is declared (WWI & WW2).

I remit you to the facts. Republicans are fiscally responsible only at the tip of their tongues. Democrats don't usually get that far. the end result is the same.

Quote:
As a country I believe our standard of living is too high and should regress closer to an international median which would make it easier to balance the budget.

I should qualify this: I don't think there should be an expectation for citizens to believe they deserve to live at a higher standard than the international median.

You seem to be conflating national debt with personal debts. they're vastly different things.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 11th, 2018 at 11:22:00 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I would love to make some cuts. Soon as it gets proposed some Democrat runs ads with the GOP pushing old women in wheelchairs over cliffs.
Yeah, but they are mother in laws and it should be legal.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 11th, 2018 at 11:26:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
I remit you to the facts. Republicans are fiscally responsible only at the tip of their tongues. Democrats don't usually get that far. the end result is the same.

You seem to be conflating national debt with personal debts. they're vastly different things.

I am not, but clearly I am struggling to make my point.

I am saying we spend too much on infrastructure, public services including police, fire, healthcare, education, social programs, etc. If the government only funds these items at the same rate as the international standard balancing the budget would be trivial.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 11th, 2018 at 12:40:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Walmart News Proves Trump Tax Cut Is Working

"Walmart has announced that it’s going to raise its starting wage to $11 an hour, and it’s going to give some employees bonuses following the passage of the tax bill. Walmart’s employees will reap the benefits of the recent tax law changes as the company raises its starting wage and distributes bonuses to eligible workers. And this is being done without any demand for raising the minimum wage. This is being done because of market forces. This is a great example of what trickle-down really, really is. And the story comes from CNBC. This is not a friendly-to-Trump website."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 11th, 2018 at 1:05:47 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob

"Walmart has announced that it’s going to raise its starting wage to $11 an hour, and it’s going to give some employees bonuses following the passage of the tax bill. Walmart’s employees will reap the benefits of the recent tax law changes as the company raises its starting wage and distributes bonuses to eligible workers. And this is being done without any demand for raising the minimum wage. This is being done because of market forces. This is a great example of what trickle-down really, really is. And the story comes from CNBC. This is not a friendly-to-Trump website."

Nice spin. Could be true. Could also be that Walmart is bowing to heavy criticism that 40% or whatever it was of their employees were eligible for food stamps because of the crap wages they pay, and we the people were not shopping there because of it. The resentment multiplied under new tax laws that gave them an enormous windfall at the top while benefiting their employees temporarily perhaps 2 dollars a day, if their health care increase didn't go up that much.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 11th, 2018 at 1:13:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I am saying we spend too much on infrastructure, public services including police, fire, healthcare, education, social programs, etc. If the government only funds these items at the same rate as the international standard balancing the budget would be trivial.

I would start by reducing subsidies for big businesses.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 11th, 2018 at 1:14:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Eh? This just in EB.

Quote:
Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

Walmart is suddenly closing several Sam's Club stores across the U.S. without explanation.

Closures were reported by local media in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Arizona Alaska, and elsewhere.
In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.
Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/walmart-abruptly-closes-several-sams-club-stores-lays-off-thousands/ar-AAuzd4Y?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 11th, 2018 at 1:18:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs

"Walmart has announced that it’s going to raise its starting wage to $11 an hour, and it’s going to give some employees bonuses following the passage of the tax bill. Walmart’s employees will reap the benefits of the recent tax law changes as the company raises its starting wage and distributes bonuses to eligible workers. And this is being done without any demand

for raising the minimum wage. This is being done because of market forces. This is a great example of what trickle-down really, really is. And the story comes from CNBC. This is not a friendly-to-Trump website."

Nice spin. Could be true. Could also be that Walmart is bowing to heavy criticism that 40% or whatever it was of their employees were eligible for food stamps because of the crap wages they pay, and we the people were not shopping there because of it. The resentment multiplied under new tax laws that gave them an enormous windfall at the top while benefiting their employees temporarily perhaps 2 dollars a day, if their health care increase didn't go up that much.

Sounds more lik you just can’t give Trump credit wher it is due. Where do you shop? You are aware pretty much all of retail pays low wages and always has? The low wag boycott is just greedy unions upset they cannot pick the pockets of 500000 WMT workers for dues every payday.
The President is a fink.