In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 12th, 2018 at 1:40:16 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
As far as I'm concerned, if I'm going to vote for polices that let people make as much as they want, I'm not doing it without taking care of people making minimum wages as well.

It's all or nothing. And it's probably immoral to do otherwise.

I'm confused about why you said this. Your point is...?
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 12th, 2018 at 2:56:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
As you mentioned above, IIRC I read 85% of WM employees were receiving government assistance, so WM employees are subsidized by the taxpayers.

85%? Never heard a number near that high. Seems they might be claiming the greeter who is supplementing their SS is on "government assistance." I look at it another way. We should be glad WMT is there for people who choose to have kids out of wedlock at too young an age and before they have the skills to get a better job supporting themselves.

Quote:
WM has killed off all the old box stores that paid living wages for generations.

What stores were these? K-Mart, Ames, Gold Circle, etc. always paid low wages. Similar to what WMT pays. Quite simply, if all the other stores were paying so much better, WMT would never have been able to get employees. If WMT was so far below market now, why do people still work there?

Quote:
WM worldwide, has union representation in several countries. I was surprised when unionized WM workers flew to Calif. to help protest for representation. But they [WM] are protected here, from organized labor.

WMT is not "protected" from unionization. All those "protests" you see demanding union representation are ********! If employees want union representation they need do only the following:

1. Find the right union to start the drive. There should be several willing to do so.
2. Union educates a core group of employees and assigns a union rep to be guide them.
3. Employees sign and they and the rep get others to sign "cards" requesting representation.
4. When enough cards are gotten, the NLRB is petitioned for an election, where all employees vote (a right Obama wanted to take away, BTW)
5. If 50%+1 of those voting want an election, a union is recognized, negotiations begin.

Unions do not follow this process. They just go "protest." What want is for someone to wave a magic want and grant them the right to recognize the WMT workers, who keep saying they want no part of it all. It is a money grab for the unions, and the Democrats who get their special interest money. They really do not care about the worker, though they have duped the SJWs who think they do.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2018 at 3:46:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
The thing about WMT is that while the SJWs were out there protesting the last 15 years, they quietly passed their peak in the USA. Store count will increase, but the hegemony is gone.

1960s-2000s the American consumer more and more preferred cheap junk over quality. Retailers delivered, some better than others. WMT put many out of their misery with better stores and better prices. Times are changing again.

On the low end, Aldo and Dollar General are at the least meeting their prices without the hassle of the 200,000 square foot box to navigate. DG is claiming like 80%+ of people now live within a few miles of one. They popped up out of nowhere and are on a tear. I love their promotions. Aldi used to be too long lines, which they have lately fixed.

AMZN is taking the other end. AMZN is the Sears Catalog that WMT slayed 25 years ago. AMZN is eying Target. WMT could never compete with AMZN on selection. You may see AMZN take over Target and it will be more that you pick up an order than home delivery.

The SJW crowd will never attack AMZN as a liberal is at the helm. AMZN pays workers similar to WMT and works them hard, but that does not matter. And then the next competitor will pop up.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2018 at 4:26:35 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: AZDuffman
DG is claiming like 80%+ of people now live within a few miles of one. They popped up out of nowhere and are on a tear.

You aren't kidding, they are everywhere!

I live in a very small town (pop < 10,000).

We don't even have a grocery store; the neighboring towns have those.

Yet we have three Dollar Generals!

I've never shopped at one, but they must be doing something right.
January 12th, 2018 at 4:51:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: JB
You aren't kidding, they are everywhere!

I live in a very small town (pop < 10,000).

We don't even have a grocery store; the neighboring towns have those.

Yet we have three Dollar Generals!

I've never shopped at one, but they must be doing something right.

Try them out. Go during the week and spend $5, you get a $5 off $25 coupon on Saturday. Then that Saturday you get another! It feeds on itself.

They consider themselves a little general store of the old days. Lots of items, less choice of brands. For men's grooming, you can save a ton. If you are into prepping, it is a great way to stock certain things. I would go and get snacks for lunch at work, sugar for the bees, men's grooming, and all kinds of the same.

Steer clear of the fake honey. Remember too cheap food is too cheap for a reason. Part of a good plan of stocking your house.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2018 at 7:29:23 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Dalex64
Is that F52 thing real? Has a "green box" media outlet reported it?

Quote:
“In November we started delivering the first F-52s and F-35 fighter jets. We have a total of 52 and they’ve delivered a number of them already a little ahead of schedule.”

I don't know if it's a green box but the above is from Fortune.
http://fortune.com/2018/01/11/donald-trump-f52-fighter-jets-call-of-duty/

It seems likely that he was talking about 52 F-35s and got a little tripped up. No big deal. However he did make other comments yesterday of which I am embarrassed.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 12th, 2018 at 9:44:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I've formulated a theory whereby the Orange Twit can be assumed to work not 18 hours per day, but the whole 24:

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”

― Benjamin Franklin.

now, most people couldn't reach Trump's level of stupid even working at it 24 hours a day. As it is, trump barely manages it, and it's clear some days he slacks off. But most days he puts in a full 24 hours, non-stop.

Good job!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2018 at 10:58:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Try them out.

I only go to Dollar Tree, everything
is a dollar or less. I have a lot of canned
food from there stocked up. I buy
all my batteries at DT. I read that
dollar store alkaline batt's last as long
as expensive ones, so I tested and
it was correct. I buy a lot of spices,
pork rinds and especially bathroom
stuff like tooth paste and hair care
items. Spend at least $50 a month
there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2018 at 11:15:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I only go to Dollar Tree, everything
is a dollar or less. I have a lot of canned
food from there stocked up. I buy
all my batteries at DT. I read that
dollar store alkaline batt's last as long
as expensive ones, so I tested and
it was correct. I buy a lot of spices,
pork rinds and especially bathroom
stuff like tooth paste and hair care
items. Spend at least $50 a month
there.

DG is not a "Dollar Store."
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2018 at 11:20:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: beachbumbabs
I'm confused about why you said this. Your point is...?

Probably because I'm basically in agreement with you, though I have my own take. If MAGA is about making sure full time low wage workers need government assistance while corporations become richer, I'm not onboard.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?