In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 12th, 2018 at 11:36:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 112
Posts: 8871
Quote: rxwine
Probably because I'm basically in agreement with you, though I have my own take. If MAGA is about making sure full time low wage workers need government assistance while corporations become richer, I'm not onboard.


Why would anyone think that is what MAGA is about? It is about building an economy with more high-wage opportunity. It is up to the individual to get themselves out of WMT instead of just whining that they do not get paid enough.

As to government assistance, what fault of WMT is it that their employees have kids before they can afford them?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
January 12th, 2018 at 11:43:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 132
Posts: 6716
With thinking like yours, the revitalization of unions is likely. And that actually reflects a sad situation when that has to happen.
Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
January 12th, 2018 at 11:51:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 121
Posts: 15989
Quote: AZDuffman
DG is not a "Dollar Store."


I've been there, I find more to buy
in DT. Shrug. Between Walmart and
DT, I have it covered. I get canned
turnip greens at Walmart for 46 cents
that I make pesto out of. I love
Walmart.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2018 at 12:01:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 112
Posts: 8871
Quote: rxwine
With thinking like yours, the revitalization of unions is likely. And that actually reflects a sad situation when that has to happen.


Won't happen. Unions have been stupid with their lobbying. Unions lobby for higher wages and Obamacare, undercutting any advantage of union membership. They care more about social change than collective bargaining. I was once a union guy in a union family. Now I would never join one.

What is going to keep happening is the underclass will keep doing what it does. Girls letting themselves get pregnant without being married. Guys spending their free time drinking and smoking dope. None learning useful skills. The formula to avoid it is simple, but when you mention it you get laughed at or called some kind of name.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
January 12th, 2018 at 12:31:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 121
Posts: 15989
Quote: AZDuffman
I was once a union guy in a union family. Now I would never join one.


My dad was the union steward for
his company in the 60's. AFL-CIO.
He loved the union, but today I
don't think he would as much. He joined
in 1946 and it was a different
world then.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2018 at 12:41:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 54
Posts: 6548
Quote: Evenbob
. He joined in 1946 and it was a different world then.
Everything was different. High wages then simply meant higher but did not mean so high that foreign manufacturers become ecstatic.
Health care usually meant an annual check up not a half million dollar work up.

Negotiations were with management not the Japanese Ministry of Trade.
January 12th, 2018 at 1:42:20 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Member since: Sep 3, 2013
Threads: 5
Posts: 1468
Quote: AZDuffman
Won't happen. Unions have been stupid with their lobbying. Unions lobby for higher wages and Obamacare, undercutting any advantage of union membership. They care more about social change than collective bargaining. I was once a union guy in a union family. Now I would never join one.

What is going to keep happening is the underclass will keep doing what it does. Girls letting themselves get pregnant without being married. Guys spending their free time drinking and smoking dope. None learning useful skills. The formula to avoid it is simple, but when you mention it you get laughed at or called some kind of name.


Get off my lawn!
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 12th, 2018 at 5:23:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 121
Posts: 15989
President Donald Trump on Friday received his annual medical checkup, his first ever while serving as commander in chief.
"The President's physical exam today at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center went exceptionally well. The President is in excellent health and I look forward to briefing some of the details on Tuesday," Jackson said.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2018 at 5:54:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 3329
Quote: AZDuffman
85%? Never heard a number near that high. Seems they might be claiming the greeter who is supplementing their SS is on "government assistance."
Might have been? It was years ago, the point of the story was WM work force was heavily subsidized. I didn't check the source's.

Quote:
I look at it another way. We should be glad WMT is there for people who choose to have kids out of wedlock at too young an age and before they have the skills to get a better job supporting themselves.
I have no problem with this. "A job provides a lot more than just a paycheck". Work is good. I don't support this "living wage" thinking. I worked as a kid, by the pound. People that don't choose to get skills to get a better job could learn a great deal from working in agriculture, on the next row over from illegals, about work ethic .

Now we have a big problem, really big. If we were to use [Shadow stats] numbers, unemployment would include the almost 100 million no longer in the labor force. People that since 07/08 ran out of unemployment, and signed up for disability. People in the underground market, etc. They will have to be dealt with, in some manner.

That is a recipe for disaster. Agree or disagree, doesn't matter. It is a giant mass, that is hard wired to eat. I don't think who they vote for is going to be the only issue to be concerned with about this mass of "folks". What are you going to do with a hundred million, disgruntled people, many who are armed? Legalize weed, and leave a barrel of oxy on every corner?

Lots of guys that came back after ww2, were able to find employment which fulfilled their needs well enough to keep them out of crime. It's a fine line for a lot of people, if they can't make enough to finance their basic desires, they will cross into illegal activity. What do we do then, hire more cops? How do we pay for more cops, higher taxes? We have a higher percentage of people in prison than any other country already. I'm not proud of having a "prison industry" at all.

It is the duty of government, to look after it's people. If that isn't what they are doing, then replace them . The go getters, such as ourselves will always do better than the complacent. But if that mass of people, can't get their wide screened tv's and micro wave ovens, you are going to need a pretty good security system when you head off for work.

I would prefer them working some place that will pay the rent, rather than being "creative". At least when they are working, they aren't stealing. Human nature being what it is. I think we have created 10's of millions of people that will never want to work. My cohort wanted to. Watching tv now, a working guy is portrayed as a dunce, who would want that?

Our gov. goes around the world, [on our dime] and makes conquest and resource stripping safe for the mega corps, otherwise WM couldn't have factory's in Bangladesh that lock the exit doors during a fire. Taxpayers are subsidizing the mega corps that, should be providing their own protection around the world, so they can use slave labor, to undermine unions in America. If there aren't tariffs on imports, then the gov. is choosing the side of mega corps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariffs_in_United_States_history

How many towns have improved infrastructure, [roads, water, sewer] so WM would build a super center and kill the existing business's? As brick and mortar dies, the debt on that infrastructure remains.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
January 12th, 2018 at 6:25:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 112
Posts: 8871
Quote: petroglyph
I have no problem with this. "A job provides a lot more than just a paycheck". Work is good. I don't support this "living wage" thinking. I worked as a kid, by the pound. People that don't choose to get skills to get a better job could learn a great deal from working in agriculture, on the next row over from illegals, about work ethic .


The first key is get rid of the illegals. "The Grapes of Wrath" is a movie, but one based on reality. It used to be people took any job to eat. Now not as much.

Quote:
Now we have a big problem, really big. If we were to use [Shadow stats] numbers, unemployment would include the almost 100 million no longer in the labor force. People that since 07/08 ran out of unemployment, and signed up for disability. People in the underground market, etc. They will have to be dealt with, in some manner.

That is a recipe for disaster. Agree or disagree, doesn't matter. It is a giant mass, that is hard wired to eat. I don't think who they vote for is going to be the only issue to be concerned with about this mass of "folks". What are you going to do with a hundred million, disgruntled people, many who are armed? Legalize weed, and leave a barrel of oxy on every corner?

Lots of guys that came back after ww2, were able to find employment which fulfilled their needs well enough to keep them out of crime. It's a fine line for a lot of people, if they can't make enough to finance their basic desires, they will cross into illegal activity. What do we do then, hire more cops? How do we pay for more cops, higher taxes? We have a higher percentage of people in prison than any other country already. I'm not proud of having a "prison industry" at all.


I agree here, but it remains that part of the problem is what people will accept. Life was simpler and cheaper right after WWII. Been over this many times. Back then, one car used, smaller house, simple vacation. I can say I have adjusted my life to close to that small. I look at other people and just do not get how they do it.

Weed and oxy hit the nail right on the head.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it