In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 15th, 2018 at 6:48:49 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Turkish airliner makes bad landing. Passengers a little upset.

Looks like a shot out of the opening scene of any movie starring The Rock.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 15th, 2018 at 7:03:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Turkish airliner makes bad landing. Passengers a little upset.

I wonder how they got everyone out.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 15th, 2018 at 7:43:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Artificial intelligence programs built by Alibaba and Microsoft have beaten humans on a Stanford University reading comprehension test.

"This is the first time that a machine has outperformed humans on such a test," Alibaba said in a statement Monday.
The test was devised by artificial intelligence experts at Stanford to measure computers' growing reading abilities. Alibaba's software was the first to beat the human score.

Luo Si, the chief scientist of natural language processing at the Chinese company's AI research group, called the milestone "a great honor," but also acknowledged that it is likely lead to a significant number of workers losing their jobs to machines.

[...[

Russian President Vladimir Putin predicted in September that whoever becomes the leader in artificial intelligence "will become the ruler of the world."

China is making a big push to be a dominant force.

Beijing said it wants the country to be a leader in artificial intelligence by 2020. In July, government officials set out goals to build a domestic artificial intelligence industry worth nearly $150 billion in the next couple years.

Well, if machines can be made to be more cost effective than peasant wages, no human can compete.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 15th, 2018 at 8:00:29 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
I wonder how they got everyone out.

Sounds like everyone left through the rear-most door on the left side.

I wonder how they'll get the plane out. Any kind of tow/crane will have to be able to support a significant part of the weight of the plane.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 15th, 2018 at 8:16:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Sounds like everyone left through the rear-most door on the left side.

Good guess.

Quote:
I wonder how they'll get the plane out. Any kind of tow/crane will have to be able to support a significant part of the weight of the plane.

I assume they need to check the damage first, and then what their insurance covers (probably a lot). If it's not worth fixing, then it can be removed in pieces, taking care to preserve as many useful spare parts as possible.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 15th, 2018 at 8:23:02 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Another concern with removing the plane is that any equipment required to lift/dismantle the plane from the land side would close the runway possibly for weeks. They might be able to do it from the water side.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 15th, 2018 at 8:36:28 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
If it were me, i think I would

1. Secure it from above so it could be worked on

2. dig straps around it, though it's possible they can get them on without digging. I have to think the gear collapsed, though.

3. Get a crane barge and lift it enough from the water side to free it .

4. Swing it onto another barge, and

5. take it to a major port or just disassemble it on the barge.

6. Probably it's only good for parts and scrap, though. If the fuselage got wrinkled, which seems likely, it's a total loss. A lot will depend on that.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 15th, 2018 at 8:43:01 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
Good guess.

It wasn't a guess. This pprune forum post states "Escape slide left aft deployed"

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/604167-pegasus-airlines-boeing-737-800-tc-cpf-overrun-runway-trabzon-all-pax-okay.html

That might not be accurate, but it is where I got my "sounds like" opinion from.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 15th, 2018 at 10:52:37 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: beachbumbabs
If it were me, i think I would

1. Secure it from above so it could be worked on

2. dig straps around it, though it's possible they can get them on without digging. I have to think the gear collapsed, though.

3. Get a crane barge and lift it enough from the water side to free it .

4. Swing it onto another barge, and

5. take it to a major port or just disassemble it on the barge.

6. Probably it's only good for parts and scrap, though. If the fuselage got wrinkled, which seems likely, it's a total loss. A lot will depend on that.
My solution:

Where the plane is resting looks like a lot of fill has been shoved over the bank. I think the plane could be dug out of there buy removing the duff under the tail, to midships, flat, down to where they want the plane to fulcrum to, when tail lowers and cabin tips up, using the front landing gear as the pivot. Then tow it backwards, up the new cut road. Easy Peezy.

added; remove starboard wing outside the landing gear and the starboard tail wing, to save on the excavation.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 15th, 2018 at 10:57:41 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't. I want people of skill or who can bring investment to the USA. Not future welfare cases. We have enough unskilled workers as it is.

Not to rain on your little parade, but no country wants people from these places.

Remember how Bill Clinton sent Haitian refugees to Gitmo?

I happen to agree that immigration should focus more on people who can contribute economically (although there is room for admission on humanitarian basis). Trump's comment makes it almost impossible for a merit based argument to get any traction because it just looks like blatant cultural bias. After all he didn't say a damn thing about merit did he? It is whole countries and entire regions he dismissed as shitholes.

One of the sharpest electrical engineers I've ever worked with is an El Salvadoran immigrant. An executive VP of a successful company I used to work for was from Haiti. A top manager for a local high tech start up and my good friend is from Ghana. His kids went to school with mine. One of his sons is an engineer and another is now a Doctor. Desirable immigrants can and do come from impoverished places, but now anyone who says we are letting in to many people destined to depend on public service will be associated with Trump and his careless vulgarities.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.