In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 16th, 2018 at 11:13:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: JimRockford
I didn't even talk about wildlife migration. I understand pronghorn and ocelots are of particular concern in Texas. I don't think either side really comprehends the negative impact.
Arizona has been seeing an occasional Jaguar the last few years. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-environment/2017/09/14/jaguar-caught-video-could-first-female-arizona-50-years/667038001/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 17th, 2018 at 2:37:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Kinda shines
a light as to who the truly deranged are,
like there was any doubt.

You cannot be living in reality if you think the quality of life in Haiti is the same as that in Norway. Or to scream into the sky, helplessly. Or to think not liking a POTUS is grounds for impeachment. Or to dress up as a female body part and go on a march.

What else do we have?
The President is a fink.
January 17th, 2018 at 3:35:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
20 Years Ago Today, all hell broke loose!

Liberal bias at Newsweek shown.

Feminists decide sexual harassment was OK as long as the male loved abortion.

Drudge Report became the place for breaking news.

Time flies.
The President is a fink.
January 17th, 2018 at 5:47:30 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
You cannot be living in reality if you think the quality of life in Haiti is the same as that in Norway.

Nobody thinks that.

Quote:
Or to scream into the sky, helplessly.

What does this even mean? People see it in movies, used for dramatic effect. They do it. Has zero to do with politics.

Quote:
Or to think not liking a POTUS is grounds for impeachment.
Grounds for impeachment:
Obstruction of justice. Self-admitted. Check.
Emolluents clause. Violated. Check.
Lying repeatedly to the American public. Just passed 2000 documented lies this week. Check.
Money laundering/criminal activity. Under investigation.
Provoking nuclear war. Not for lack of trying.
Damaging worldwide relationships. Check.

Has nothing to do with not liking him, except each time he does something bone headed, he gets a little less popular.
Quote:

Or to dress up as a female body part and go on a march.

They're hats. It was January. People cover their heads in January when marching outdoors. Trump supplied the name and the reasons for marching.
Quote:

What else do we have?

You wouldn't begin to understand. You haven't over thousands of posts. And you never will.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 17th, 2018 at 6:20:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: beachbumbabs
Nobody thinks that.

Sure they do! Look at all the cries of "racism!" over his comment. If they actually thought Haiti was not an equal country to Norway, why and how could they even claim racism?

Quote:
What does this even mean? People see it in movies, used for dramatic effect. They do it. Has zero to do with politics.

It was in the news and discussed here.

Quote:
Grounds for impeachment:
Obstruction of justice. Self-admitted. Check.
Emolluents clause. Violated. Check.
Lying repeatedly to the American public. Just passed 2000 documented lies this week. Check.
Money laundering/criminal activity. Under investigation.
Provoking nuclear war. Not for lack of trying.
Damaging worldwide relationships. Check.

Obstruction of justice? How? By firing a crooked FBI director?
Provoking nuclear war? How, exactly?

Reading your list, I just see confirmation that you think your not liking him is grounds for impeachment!

Quote:
They're hats. It was January. People cover their heads in January when marching outdoors.

Do you really expect anyone to believe you believe this?

Quote:
You wouldn't begin to understand. You haven't over thousands of posts. And you never will.

I understand perfectly. I mean, I do not understand why you deny being a liberal or SJW. But I have met many liberals who deny the title, don't understand them, either.
The President is a fink.
January 17th, 2018 at 7:52:16 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Obstruction of justice? How? By firing a crooked FBI director?

Strawman. That's true, if he was fired for being a crooked FBI director.

Provoking nuclear war? How, exactly?

By ramping up rhetoric and threats. Like the Cuban Missile Crisis, it works. Until it doesn't. It is a high-risk strategy.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 17th, 2018 at 8:15:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64
Strawman. That's true, if he was fired for being a crooked FBI director

Seems pretty clear he was in the tank for Hillary and fixed the email investigation.

Quote:
By ramping up rhetoric and threats. Like the Cuban Missile Crisis, it works. Until it doesn't. It is a high-risk strategy.
ked

Worked in said Cuban Missile Crisis and again in the 1980s. OTOH, we can see what happened when you make a "red line" then "lead from behind." I prefer acting strong. But my bigger issue is liberals act as if NK was not acting as a threat until Trump showed up.
The President is a fink.
January 17th, 2018 at 9:51:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Strawman. That's true, if he was fired for being a crooked FBI director.

First Shithole Trump claimed it was because Comey was too tough on Hillary Clinton (remember that?), then the Shithole leaked that it was due to the Russia investigation. I must have missed when it morphed into a crooked FBI director. I can't wait to find out what it becomes next.

Quote:

Reading the massive volumes of Shithole apologia, it seems to be a YUGE win that Trump hasn't started a nuclear war, destroyed the courts, destroyed the press, or turned the US into a one-party state.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 17th, 2018 at 10:36:10 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I've thought about Trump's comments about the countries being s**tholes and why people don't find that remark racist. It's not a racist comment on its own.

When you take it in context, it's racist because Trump wants to change immigration policies to not bring in these people (end the lottery and refugee programs) who are living in extreme poverty and war, really through no fault of their own.

It's fine to call those countries s**t-houses or holes and then say, "for that reason, we are going to expand immigration policies so that some of these people can life a better life." Not racist, but an ideal that America has had for over 240 years.

We can bring up the fact that most of Africa and its problems are results of very poor colonialization decisions where Britain, France, Spain invaded these countries, attempted to Christianize them, plundered them for its resources, divied up the land to the rich white people, and enslaved some of their people, and then left. We can bring up America's involvement in Haiti and their contribution to its checkered history.

The ideal of immigration to America in the late 19th to 2016 has long been about words in Lazurus' New Collossus poem (associated to the Statue of Liberty which welcomed people on ships coming to America via Ellis Island for over 60 years): "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Most Americans still hold on to these values, that America (and the West) should be helping those people, who unfortunately, live in s**tholes, and for that reason, come to America to seek a better life. And the great, great majority of these immigrants have made a better life: they fought your wars, built your roads, started businesses. A few commit crimes. Ireland was a shi*hole, and America welcomed them. 2 million Jews came to the United States between 1880 and 1920, escaping persecution. Hell, the Pilgrims came to America because of religious persecution back home.

Instead, Trump wants to bring in people from Norway. And not the refugees. White people, already rich, who are not seeking a better life. The thing is that if you have money and want to come, there is an EB-5 Visa (which Trump extended) that does just that. It's how thousands of Chinese people get US Green Cards. You can read about how a few of them are criminals too.

You want to improve people in America? Train them (college or skills training). Pay them (raise the minimum wage). Employ them (government programs, small business incentives and apprenticeship incentives to employ new workers). Provide Infrastructure so that the work can be done efficiently. Remove obstacles.
January 17th, 2018 at 10:59:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
I've thought about Trump's comments about the countries being s**tholes and why people don't find that remark racist. It's not a racist comment on its own.

When you take it in context, it's racist because Trump wants to change immigration policies to not bring in these people (end the lottery and refugee programs) who are living in extreme poverty and war, really through no fault of their own.

As I said above, if you think the comment is racist, then you are saying that conditions in Haiti and Norway are the same. Otherwise it is not a comment that is "racist" but rather a statement of fact. The problem is deeper. In the USA we have arrived at the point that a white cannot say anything negative about a black or any other minority. Even when the statement is real, "RACIST" is called out. Look at why Limbaugh got fired at ESPN. He just said the media was giving Black QBs more push. Off with his head!

One of the unseen problems in Haiti at the moment is that it is a playground for the non-profits. After the earthquake they set up camp. They destroyed the local economy, and it cannot recover. But they stay as it lets their fundraising continue and gives a nice little concession for the executives of said non for profits. I have worked several Haiti fundraisers, this is their biggest complaint.

Quote:
It's fine to call those countries s**t-houses or holes and then say, "for that reason, we are going to expand immigration policies so that some of these people can life a better life." Not racist, but an ideal that America has had for over 240 years.

Not exactly. Pre-1964, probably 95%+ of all immigration came from a very few small areas. Ireland, Germany, Italy, and Eastern Europe. Undesireables often got turned back. The idea of "take anyone from anywhere" is very new, just 1.5 generations old.

Quote:
You want to improve people in America? Train them (college or skills training). Pay them (raise the minimum wage). Employ them (government programs, small business incentives and apprenticeship incentives to employ new workers). Provide Infrastructure so that the work can be done efficiently. Remove obstacles.

How does raising the minimum wage help anything? Skills, yes. Remove obstacles, yes. Quit sending people with no business in college there.
The President is a fink.