Quote: Evenbob

Obama was a chain smoker his
first term in office and the media
said not a word. Trump is 71 and
has 30 pounds to lose and all we
hear all week is he's morbidly obese,
has heart disease, and will drop
dead any minute. Such utter crap.

Good point. Though I would more say that look how few people knew Obama smoked. Yet look how the press has done stories about how Trump loves diet Coke and fast food.

Quote:
And I don't agree there will be a
bombastic Leftie that comes along.
Trump is unique in his communication
style, his type is very rare. Scott
Adams was a lifetime Leftie who
has lost all his friends because
he's bewitched by Trump. He says
he's a true genius when it comes
to persuasion and swaying people
to his side.

Trump is once in a lifetime in being able to be bombastic. But watch leftie pols take the wrong lessons from his personality. They will just let the insults fly. They will not get that everything Trump says is a clever depth charge dropped at just the right time and place.
The President is a fink.
January 21st, 2018 at 5:11:46 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: boymimbo
There is a difference between overweight and obese (responding to Dalex). Trump is overweight. Not obese. And nobody cares. I don't blame the doctor for a little bit of public propaganda by dropping the weight by a couple of pounds or making him taller. Because it's no big deal. I am sure he did the same for Obama and Bush. Heck if I had a good relationship with a doctor I might ask him to shave my weight by a few pounds for insurance purposes (if necessary). No biggie.

Someone seems to care, as they fudged the numbers to put him in the normal range.

I'll toss out that argument I see here so often - if they lied about that, what else are they lying about?

30/30? Not just cognitive, but the biggest crowds most cognitive - period?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 21st, 2018 at 6:32:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Gosh guys, don't you all go to the doctor? When was the last time a doctor actually weighed you? When I see a patient a MOA (medical office assistant) or LPN (licensed practical nurse) has weighed the patient, measured his height, taken his blood pressure and pulse rate, and hands me a little sheet of paper with these values. I can't even imagine changing any of those numbers to fraudulently make something look better, or worse.
I once took care of a Buffalo Bill. He was basically a sheet of muscle. We joked that if you just plugged in his height and weight into our formulas, he would technically be obese! I used my medical judgment and did not check the obese box on his pre-op sheet.
Just by looking at him, DJT is obviously overweight. It is irrelevant whether someone decides to tag him with an 'obese' tag. Nothing changes with regards to his treatment, life expectancy, etc... if he was 240 instead of 239. I trust the treating doctor who put out the report that he is in overall good health for a man of his age.

And, Boymimbo, you are WAY off base if you think it is ok to alter a medical record "for insurance purposes". Get caught doing that as a doctor and see how long you are still allowed to practice medicine.....
January 21st, 2018 at 6:56:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Gosh guys, don't you all go to the doctor? When was the last time a doctor actually weighed you? When I see a patient a MOA (medical office assistant) or LPN (licensed practical nurse) has weighed the patient, measured his height, taken his blood pressure and pulse rate, and hands me a little sheet of paper with these values. I can't even imagine changing any of those numbers to fraudulently make something look better, or worse.
I once took care of a Buffalo Bill. He was basically a sheet of muscle. We joked that if you just plugged in his height and weight into our formulas, he would technically be obese! I used my medical judgment and did not check the obese box on his pre-op sheet.
Just by looking at him, DJT is obviously overweight. It is irrelevant whether someone decides to tag him with an 'obese' tag. Nothing changes with regards to his treatment, life expectancy, etc... if he was 240 instead of 239. I trust the treating doctor who put out the report that he is in overall good health for a man of his age.

As a doctor, do you think we have too tight a standard for "obese?" I have to wonder if it is not in nature that we pack a few pounds for lean times? Same as a dog will eat anytime there is food, he is programmed that he might not eat again for days.
The President is a fink.
January 21st, 2018 at 7:30:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The discussion of a president's height weight or dietary issues is just a way to demean and trrvialize.
constant jabbering about Mexicans is just as annoying as constant jabbering about diet coke or party labels.
January 21st, 2018 at 8:22:21 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
As a doctor, do you think we have too tight a standard for "obese?" I have to wonder if it is not in nature that we pack a few pounds for lean times? Same as a dog will eat anytime there is food, he is programmed that he might not eat again for days.

I agree with you. I think obese starts to low. Overweight is more accurate a label for many. I would put Trump in the 'overweight' group. I will agree with 'a few pounds'. But I take care of patients on a daily basis that are 300+. We take care of bariatric cases, for weight reduction surgery. It is rare that we don't have a non-bariatric case bigger than the bariatric cases on any given day. Obesity is a true epidemic.
January 21st, 2018 at 8:59:05 AM permalink
Dalex64
I can't even imagine changing any of those numbers to fraudulently make something look better, or worse.

Do you believe that President Obama is 6' 1" tall, and at some point weighed 175 pounds?

What do you make of this picture:
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 21st, 2018 at 9:01:53 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Fleastiff
The discussion of a president's height weight or dietary issues is just a way to demean and trrvialize.
constant jabbering about Mexicans is just as annoying as constant jabbering about diet coke or party labels.

I think the discussion about his height and weight is about the administration's propensity to lie to the American people.

I'm not making an issue of his actual height and weight, I'm making an issue about someone lying about it.
January 21st, 2018 at 9:31:16 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I dunno how they come up with that BMI chart. I'm over 10lbs "overweight" according to it, and I look like your stereotypical meth user. Once in my life I hit the "proper weight" portion, when I was a $100/ day coke head. I looked like a POW.

I don't train, haven't since '99, and I eat 3-4 times a week. Still "overweight". Pah.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 21st, 2018 at 10:44:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
And, Boymimbo, you are WAY off base if you think it is ok to alter a medical record "for insurance purposes". Get caught doing that as a doctor and see how long you are still allowed to practice medicine.....

That's what I said. The loons on the
cable networks are insane if they
think the WH doctor would lie on
his report just to make Trump look
better. They have no idea how the
medical profession works.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.