Threads: 73
Quote: YeahBaby
guess u don't wanna answer his question about climat change
talk about defection lol...........

Check the thread subject
"In the News Today"
The stock market is in the news today
Please try to keep up
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 5th, 2018 at 1:12:42 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: kenarman
Sort of like the climate change supporters when something doesn't fit the algorithm.

That's not really the same sort of situation. There, you have both sides cherry picking data to 'prove' their point, or dismiss data that doesn't agree with that point, or misuse "weather" data when describing the "climate"

What I was talking about, specifically, are jobs and economy measures.

We've had situations where labor participation rates were dismissed as irrelevant or misleading when Obama was president, that are then presented as evidence of "good news" when Trump was president, or how job growth numbers of some value X under Obama weren't very good at all, but then when Trump was president, job growth numbers of less than X were touted as great successes.

So the general situation I am talking about is when the same factors are tossed about as good or bad news depending on where you stand politically, rather than different numbers about an issue being tossed back and forth.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 5th, 2018 at 1:19:07 PM permalink
Dalex64
I've been looking for a reason for the selloff for the past few sessions, and found this from a USA Today article.

"The selloff has been sparked by inflation fears and worries that interest rates could rise faster than expected. Those fears stem from a strong employment report released Friday that showed wage growth for hourly workers over the past year had risen nearly 3%, its quickest pace since 2009. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/02/05/dow-falls-300-points-open-extending-declines-last-week/306400002/

The URL doesn't really match the headline "Dow plunge briefly tops 1500 points as stock rout intensifies" then it had a bump up and back down to close -1175.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 5th, 2018 at 2:05:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Mrs. Holloway sues NBCOxygen for duping her to donate DNA and otherwise participate in the recent series when there never were any female remains that had been discovered and the show was a 'preplanned farce'. Several legal theories alleged including tort of Outrage.
February 5th, 2018 at 2:50:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Melania was smokin hot at a Super
Bowl party yesterday.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2018 at 4:25:04 PM permalink
Dalex64
Fcc chairman's "proof" that new net non-neutrality law is leading to higher broadband growth:

Citations from a December 2016 report.

Problems with that?

He wasn't chairman until January 2017.

The new net non-neutrality rules weren't announced until November 2017

Those rules haven't gone into effect yet.

Yet another lying ass in the administration with no integrity.

P.s. thanks for the "Melania looks hot" "news". I am surprised the rest of us missed that one.
February 5th, 2018 at 4:39:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Down 900 right now. Yikes.

Opening bells of the Trump Recession?

Stay tuned.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2018 at 4:58:37 PM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
Melania was smokin hot at a Super
Bowl party yesterday.

And her after a few drinks...

February 5th, 2018 at 5:53:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64
That's not really the same sort of situation. There, you have both sides cherry picking data to 'prove' their point, or dismiss data that doesn't agree with that point, or misuse "weather" data when describing the "climate"

What I was talking about, specifically, are jobs and economy measures.

We've had situations where labor participation rates were dismissed as irrelevant or misleading when Obama was president, that are then presented as evidence of "good news" when Trump was president, or how job growth numbers of some value X under Obama weren't very good at all, but then when Trump was president, job growth numbers of less than X were touted as great successes.

So the general situation I am talking about is when the same factors are tossed about as good or bad news depending on where you stand politically, rather than different numbers about an issue being tossed back and forth.

Different number? You mean like Dow up 20% last year and Dow down 5% in 2018. As a post following this talks about the Feds are raising the interest rate to try and cool the economy a little, it worked. Continue to cherry pick what ever numbers you like to make your points like we all do. This won't change unless we can ever get back to where we once were. It once was the proper and intelligent thing to say "yes you make a good point I might have to reconsider my position". At the very least it was expected you could say "I respect your position but I still can't agree". Now it is only "You are wrong and I am right".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 5th, 2018 at 6:08:28 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: kenarman
Different number? You mean like Dow up 20% last year and Dow down 5% in 2018. As a post following this talks about the Feds are raising the interest rate to try and cool the economy a little, it worked. Continue to cherry pick what ever numbers you like to make your points like we all do. This won't change unless we can ever get back to where we once were. It once was the proper and intelligent thing to say "yes you make a good point I might have to reconsider my position". At the very least it was expected you could say "I respect your position but I still can't agree". Now it is only "You are wrong and I am right".

What I said was factually accurate, to the best of my recollection.

The rest of what you are saying is quite a departure from the very specific example I gave to support my claim.