In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 20th, 2018 at 5:52:22 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
<snip>

That aside, I don't really disagree with you. Problem is it's all or nothing. There's no co-op from either side, just smashing pieces to see what's left, and what's left becomes law (or lack thereof). I agree it's a GD shame.

You know how rabid I am on this subject. If you asked me my thoughts about "restricting" certain arms, with the provision that acquiring it would entail an aptitude test of similar cost and accessibility to one found at the DMV, I guarantee you'd have my attention. I just had to re-register every. single. GD. pistol I own, and I'm beyond tired of the games and tricks and persecution. You wanna have a possible wait, plus check? But then I get to own what I want as opposed to what some @#$% says I can? You get, I get, I'm down with that. I can dig compromise based on reasonable desires.

But no. There is none, and shows no sign of there ever being some.

I gotta disagree with you on this, Face, at least from what I'm reading.

People, including legislators, gun owners, Dems, and Repubs have all said they are in favor of targeted laws, most heavily, some extraordinarily heavily.

Outlaw bump stocks and other modifiers that turn semi-automatics into more efficient killing machines than they are already.

Limit magazine size.

Close gun show and private sale loopholes

No fly, no gun. Anyone on the no-fly list is there for a reason. That same issue should prohibit gun ownership.

Ban assault weapons again. Sorry, this one does impinge on the general gun enthusiast some, but how many kids have to die in schools, malls, churches, and nightclubs, at concerts, the movies, or universities, before we recognize that these weapons are a deadly attraction for raging and ill people. I don't have a better answer, some way of measuring who will never abuse the privilege of massive power over masses of people. I wish I did. Find me even one major US gun massacre since Columbine that didn't involve assault weapons, I'll rethink it. Find a way to sort out those who can own them responsibly from those who can't before selling to them, I'll support it.

Waiting periods.

Background checks.

Upper limit of number of guns and rounds.

Licensing and testing.

I guess maybe some mental illness restrictions, but how many mentally ill people (diagnosed before they massacred) bought and used guns in this way? I think it's all been hindsight. Sounds like maybe this Florida kid was identified as emotionally unstable at 15 - if so, he'd be about the first diagnosed prior to acting out.

These are actions WELL short of taking everybody's guns. But the NRA has stopped each and every one as legislation is proposed.

To me, that's only one side with a no co-op whatsoever stance.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 20th, 2018 at 6:10:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Gun control is never the answer. What did
banks used to do to curb gun crime? Have
armed guards on duty all the time, it
cut robberies to a fraction of what
they were.

Schools will do the same eventually.
Trained armed guards at every
public school, private companies,
not gov't. Will make school shootings
very rare incidents.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 20th, 2018 at 6:19:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Are you asking if Americans who get caught by other governments interfering in their elections should be left alone? In some cases those other governments might even execute our people.

That's the price sometimes. Not sure why we should just ignore when others do it.
I believe this is from the Ron Paul Institute?

"The United States, through a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) called The National Endowment for Democracy has spent over $27,000,000 since 2013 in Russia to “promote democracy”.

"Former Congressman Ron Paul also argued against NED funding stating that NED has "very little to do with democracy. It is an organization that uses US tax money to actually subvert democracy, by showering funding on favored political parties or movements overseas. It underwrites color-coded ‘people’s revolutions’ overseas that look more like pages out of Lenin’s writings on stealing power than genuine indigenous democratic movements."
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 20th, 2018 at 6:27:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Texas police chief recommends arming teachers: http://truthinmedia.com/texas-police-chief-advocates-arming-teachers-prevent-shootings/
February 20th, 2018 at 6:28:58 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
What I'm fascinated by is all the right wingers attacking the students who are begging for tougher gun laws.

They just lost 17 people at their school, and now many in the GOP are attacking them and calling them paid actors.

Just shows you how twisted and evil today's GOP truly is.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 20th, 2018 at 6:32:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: beachbumbabs
I gotta disagree with you on this, Face, at least from what I'm reading.

People, including legislators, gun owners, Dems, and Repubs have all said they are in favor of targeted laws, most heavily, some extraordinarily heavily.

Outlaw bump stocks and other modifiers that turn semi-automatics into more efficient killing machines than they are already.

Limit magazine size.

Close gun show and private sale loopholes

No fly, no gun. Anyone on the no-fly list is there for a reason. That same issue should prohibit gun ownership.

Ban assault weapons again. Sorry, this one does impinge on the general gun enthusiast some, but how many kids have to die in schools, malls, churches, and nightclubs, at concerts, the movies, or universities, before we recognize that these weapons are a deadly attraction for raging and ill people. I don't have a better answer, some way of measuring who will never abuse the privilege of massive power over masses of people. I wish I did. Find me even one major US gun massacre since Columbine that didn't involve assault weapons, I'll rethink it. Find a way to sort out those who can own them responsibly from those who can't before selling to them, I'll support it.

Waiting periods.

Background checks.

Upper limit of number of guns and rounds.

Licensing and testing.

I guess maybe some mental illness restrictions, but how many mentally ill people (diagnosed before they massacred) bought and used guns in this way? I think it's all been hindsight. Sounds like maybe this Florida kid was identified as emotionally unstable at 15 - if so, he'd be about the first diagnosed prior to acting out.

These are actions WELL short of taking everybody's guns. But the NRA has stopped each and every one as legislation is proposed.

To me, that's only one side with a no co-op whatsoever stance.
If every one of your suggestions is carried out, would you [they] stop trying to take away guns?

Do you consider this an assault weapon? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500
February 20th, 2018 at 7:00:46 PM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
Quote: ams288
What I'm fascinated by is all the right wingers attacking the students who are begging for tougher gun laws.

Just shows you how twisted and evil today's GOP truly is.

so the dude who gave a "standing ovation" when a person died is calling somebody else evil????????????????/

u have NO shame brotha...........................
February 20th, 2018 at 7:02:09 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: petroglyph
If every one of your suggestions is carried out, would you [they] stop trying to take away guns?

Quote:
I think they would, yes, if "they" equals the majority opinion in the country. These changes (to get ALL of them would be a dream), would quiet probably 2/3 of the country at least, (I think more like 80% satisfaction with those changes) feeling something substantial and significant had been done.

There would have to be further evaluation of standards, effectiveness, and unintended consequences once enacted, probably a decade's worth, similar to how aviation approached their evolution into a safety culture.

Build a little, test a little, build a little more. You're old enough to remember the 60s-90s in aviation. We were killing a plane a month or more from before I started until the early 90s. We found a flaw, we were brutally honest, fixed the issue.

Sorry, eyes involuntarily closing. Must sleep.

Quote:
Do you consider this an assault weapon? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500
not among those I would restrict. Utility shotgun for many purposes....5+1 to 8+1 is acceptably low capacity before forced reload. I freely admit my ignorance on specific models, though, so if there's a trick barrel magazine or other thing, I won't know it. It does seem capable of grenade launching, but where doe Joe Mass Murderer get those? Take away that source if available to the public.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 20th, 2018 at 7:33:23 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo

Gun deaths in 2017 = 15,449 here
Suicide deaths, 2013 = 21,346 here
Total gun deaths = 36,795

Rate = 75,400,000 / 36,795 = 1 death for every 2,051 gun owner.

You need to take out the suicide deaths for this to make sense.

Why? He was talking rates of death/injury for gun owners vs drivers. Why would exclude a group of people because they took their own life with a gun? To suit your narrative? Are people who take their own life not gun owners?
February 20th, 2018 at 7:39:51 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph

Let me start by making it clear, if I haven't done so numerous times over the years without once ever swaying - I am no fan of the NRA. Not a member, never have been, don't even look to be. I am thankful for their existence because of their defense of the overreach that has occurred, and I think all should be thankful for the real work they do with education, training, and support of what in most cases is responsible gun ownership. But I too am pissed about their suppression, and I absolutely think it's an overreach that does damage for which they should fully be admonished for.

That being said, Babs,... while your list varies from the arguable to the obvious, notice every single one is a "take". We could argue whether each take is worth it or not, and there are many on that list you'd undoubtedly win, but they are all takes with no give. Semi's with 30rd mags free on the shelves of Walmart requiring just one photo ID proving age over 18? I see your point. But to make such rifles completely illegal period? That's no "middle". It's the flip side of the same ridiculous coin.

And rhetoric aside, that's what I've seen in action. petro's post was not glib, s#$% like the above is absolutely being made illegal under the guise of "removing assault weapons". YOU might just want semi auto's with bump stocks and drum mags off the streets. Noble. But what they end up doing is taking EVERY GD THING. A 5 shot, pump action shotgun is considered an "assault weapon" if it has but a simple extended forward grip. That's not rhetoric, not insane ramblings of a nutter. It's now law here in NY. You've heard me rant before. It's all true, and it's already happened, so it's really hard to take any claims of partisanship as anything other than misplaced hope.

As nutty as I come across sometimes, and of course understanding it would require a bit of further discussion and dissection, I could start from the position that "The Right" could begin with the low cap, low rate weapons. Revolvers, pumps, levers and the like. I could dig a progressive licensing structure from there, not unlike my comparison to vehicle law. You want a 30rd semi? OK, but there's more, just like when you wanna drive a motorcycle or a 15 passenger van. Oh, an MG-42 with a belt? Gonna take cash and training, but is is possible and reasonable, just like hauling 40t requires much more responsibility and testing but is possible and reasonable.

Couple that with a proper, good faith buy back program and we could be getting somewhere. Get all these funky, fall through the cracks street pieces gone, and get some "both sides" control on the ones remaining, and you might see a difference. But it won't happen. Won't never.

Money talks. Now more than ever.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.