In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 2nd, 2018 at 11:12:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
I would speculate a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic.

Corolla, but where did it come from? Canada, Japan, China, America, Mexico?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2018 at 1:03:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
The real damage to US steel mills occurred in the 80's. This was when the unions were still strong enough to fight anything that would cost jobs but make the mills more efficient. Canada rationalized their mills during this time and started exporting major quantities of steel to the US. Canada still accounts for 15% of the US steel imports but Canada also imports about the same amount of US steel.

Actually it started in 1959, as usual the defining event was somewhat missed at the time. At the time the steelmakers wanted to change the union contracts to allow smaller crews as they updated the mills. The union struck the industry (everyone was on one master contract) and the USA became a net importer for the first time in 100 years. Customers were forced to buy offshore, but offshore makers demanded more than spot sales.

If not for Vietnam it would have collapsed in 1970 not 1980-1982. I have met several guys who worked the mills until the end. It is always a story of "We never saw it coming but we should have seen all the signs." Normal maintenance put off, lower highs and lower lows. Within a just a few years of shutting those mills looked as if they had been closed decades, amazing how fast they fell apart once abandoned.
The President is a fink.
March 2nd, 2018 at 3:28:57 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
Corolla, but where did it come from? Canada, Japan, China, America, Mexico?

I know, I get it. My wife has a Korean car that was built in the state of Georgia.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 2nd, 2018 at 11:00:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Roy Moore needs donations.

Quote:
“My resources have been depleted and I have struggled to make ends meet,” Moore wrote, saying that his legal fees could exceed $100,000. “I have had to establish a legal defense fund, anything you give will be appreciated.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/roy-moore-issues-grievance-laden-plea-for-money-‘my-resources-have-been-depleted’/ar-BBJNKit?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2018 at 4:46:03 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Roy Moore needs donations.

He's the gift that keeps on giving.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 3rd, 2018 at 7:38:13 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: ams288
He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Kind of like herpes.

I'd be happy to donate to Planned Parenthood in his name. He could write it off for his taxes. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Did it last year for Mike Pence. Unusually satisfying passive-aggressive move.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 3rd, 2018 at 8:17:46 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: beachbumbabs
Kind of like herpes.

I'd be happy to donate to Planned Parenthood in his name. He could write it off for his taxes. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Did it last year for Mike Pence. Unusually satisfying passive-aggressive move.

I never thought of this technique. Can the person whose name you are donating in do something to alter the path of the money?
March 4th, 2018 at 7:27:54 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/watch-usa-curling-olympians-deliver-perfect-puck-drop-before-nhl-outdoor-game/amp/

Looks to me like the rock is remote-controlled. I think it accelerates after he releases it, and it looks very light. It also shows down too fast.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 4th, 2018 at 7:36:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
I never thought of this technique. Can the person whose name you are donating in do something to alter the path of the money?

No they can't do anything about it. But Mike Pence gets a thank you note from PP for every donation, which is why people do it in his name.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 4th, 2018 at 11:32:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
He’s not even smart enough to meet the people he’s asking bribes from somewhere other than the White House. He may as well carry a sandwich board saying “INFLUENCE FOR SALE.”

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/kushner-and-corruption/
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER