In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 4th, 2018 at 4:59:42 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
MIT study: Uber drivers earn $3.37 an hour.
I'm sure there will be complaints about sample size and methodology and extrapolation as well as complaints that the researchers have dandruff and are biased. Overall, 3.37 just might be right.
March 4th, 2018 at 5:24:33 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Fleastiff
MIT study: Uber drivers earn $3.37 an hour.
I'm sure there will be complaints about sample size and methodology and extrapolation as well as complaints that the researchers have dandruff and are biased. Overall, 3.37 just might be right.

Link please.

I can't imagine i is $3.37 per hour driven. I would believe that number based on a 40 hour week because most drivers only drive about 10 hours per week.

This article is two years old but it averages over $19 per hour driven. Still not a great just but 62% of drivers are doing Uber as a second job.

http://time.com/3678507/uber-driver-questions/
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 4th, 2018 at 5:29:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: DRich
Link please.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-wage-study/mit-study-that-found-low-pay-for-uber-drivers-to-be-revisited-idUSKCN1GF0RL

Study's author said he has reviewed Uber's criticism and will re-work his data on Monday

>>>>>I can't imagine i is $3.37 per hour driven.
>>> I would believe that number based on a 40 hour week because most drivers only drive about 10 hours per week.
March 4th, 2018 at 5:32:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Slashdot, now back up, reports Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinolgy reports Swedish study asserting that diabetes is five separate disease conditions based on computer clustering of blood tests.
March 4th, 2018 at 6:03:47 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/610404/seriously-how-are-uber-and-lyft-drivers-surviving/

3.37 median per hour salary after expenses.

It is a little thin on details, and is comparing this net take home pay with gross minimum wage.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 4th, 2018 at 6:17:01 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Dalex64
https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/610404/seriously-how-are-uber-and-lyft-drivers-surviving/

3.37 median per hour salary after expenses.

It is a little thin on details, and is comparing this net take home pay with gross minimum wage.

If it is saying $3.37 is (net - expenses - Minimum Wage), then that would make sense to me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 4th, 2018 at 6:24:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
If it is saying $3.37 is (net - expenses - Minimum Wage), then that would make sense to me.

Sounds about right to me. When insurance
and car depreciation are taken into account,
and every expense they have connected
to driving, they aren't making squat.

But I knew this because when I had the
cab co we had owner/drivers sometimes
and they never lasted. The upkeep and
depreciation and insurance expences
ate up all their profits. The cab biz only
works if you own a fleet of cars. Or you
own your own cab but take all the fare
money for yourself and don't have to
split it. That's what kills Uber drivers,
the split.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 5th, 2018 at 12:16:03 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Former Trump Aide Sam Nunberg just had on live on-air meltdown on MSNBC regarding Bob Mueller subpoenaing him. He said he won't comply with it (he doesn't want to give up his emails with Steve Bannon and Roger Stone - that's not suspicious AT ALL) and asked MSNBC host Katy Tur for legal advice.

Quite an amazing thing to see. I'm sure they will be replaying it all over cable news all day.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 5th, 2018 at 1:33:12 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
This one is shaping up into a real grab-the-popcorn moment.

Quote:
“I’m not spending 80 hours going over my emails with Roger Stone and Steve Bannon and producing them,” Nunberg said. “Donald Trump won this election on his own. He campaigned his ass off. And there is nobody who hates him more than me.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/05/let-him-arrest-me-trump-ex-campaign-aide-nunberg-says-will-refuse-muellers-subpoena.html

Lots of stuff in that article, I won't quote it all but just mention bullet points
Fired by Trump in 2014, blamed for bad press
Rehired, fired again in 2015 for racially charged Facebook posts
Sued by Trump for $10 mi for breach of confidentiality, settled.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 5th, 2018 at 1:40:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In cases like this, one expects some of the principals to wind up under the witness protection program.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER