In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 15th, 2018 at 7:32:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
A database of images from over five thousand deep sea dives has been released and it seems that a large plastic grocery bag was found at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Not fragments but a large, intact plastic bag undegraded in any way.

Plastic degrades between 10-1000 years, says mr Google.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 16th, 2018 at 10:50:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
US Birth Rate Collapsing.

Interesting article, though the author is a little too preoccupied with blaming racism. Rate down to 1.76 births per woman, meaning general population decline. Big part of it is Hispanic women having way fewer kids. Interestingly, the decline for Blacks and Whites is effectively even, with both groups in long-term population decline. (Backs are a slightly lower birth rate than whites, about 1.8 vs 1.9 per woman.)

The collapse started right with the 2008 financial crisis and recession. But it has not bounced back. We will be seeing more room in schools in the 2020s, and colleges will really be feeling pain in the 2030s.

Have we started another structural change like we had 1967-1980, back then 2 children started to be seen as ideal, compared to 3+ 1945-1965.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2018 at 11:09:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

I'll be impressed when it falls in
Africa and India. And the Middle
East.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 16th, 2018 at 11:14:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob

I'll be impressed when it falls in
Africa and India. And the Middle
East.

Maybe in a generation or two. Question is does the USA follow Europe, Japan, and China into permanent decline? The USA always managed to keep the rate right near the 2.1 needed to keep things stable, even if it fell below that in the 1970s, a dark time.

IMHO one factor is today's woman realizes she cannot "have it all" in regards to career or family. You get one or the other. She is choosing a career. The numbers are not lying.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2018 at 12:49:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Guy hears Spanish and flips out saying this is America
WTF
I live in Florida which is in the USA
I hear Spanish all the time
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 16th, 2018 at 12:59:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined
Guy hears Spanish and flips out saying this is America

Kudos to this guy. What makes America
strong is we have ONE LANGUAGE that
unites us all. Not a bunch of languages
like they have in China and Russia.

Screw people who can't take the time to
learn English. That guy in the video could
be me 30 years ago.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 16th, 2018 at 1:55:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The rest of the story

The manager told the Daily News that the unidentified customer, clutching a cell phone in one hand, completely misread the situation.
A lunchtime regular was speaking Spanish with a Hispanic employee as they did most days when the man began his diatribe.
"They were speaking Spanish because they are friends," the manager said. "He got mad, waiting in line for his food. He stormed out."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/white-man-rants-spanish-speaking-workers-fresh-kitchen-article-1.3993056
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 16th, 2018 at 2:04:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined

"They were speaking Spanish because they are friends," the manager said. "He got mad, waiting in line for his food. He stormed out."

Cool. And what drove him to that
point is not too hard to figure out.
May 16th, 2018 at 3:32:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Cool. And what drove him to that
point is not too hard to figure out.

I worked at the back office of a large bank once, a woman came in and mentioned about two women in the next office talking in some other language. Asked if we thought it was OK. I said it was rude. She kept finding "reasons" they might do it. I just kept replying it was rude. End of story.

In college I had a professor who was a Truk, did not yet have his US Citizenship or just got it that month, I forget which. Point being he was not natural born himself. He asked a question to a girl and somehow she started talking to her girlfriend in the next seat in Chinese. Big mistake! Guy put an end to it instantly. Told the girls not to make us feel like outsiders in our own country.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2018 at 4:05:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Point being he was not natural born himself. He asked a question to a girl and somehow she started talking to her girlfriend in the next seat in Chinese. Big mistake! Guy put an end to it instantly. Told the girls not to make us feel like outsiders in our own country.
Good for him! It's wrong that teachers have to teach in a foreign language to make illegals more comfortable.

I support immigration the way it was when everyone came through Ellis Island.

It is way past time when American should be declared our official language.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW