In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 15th, 2018 at 1:58:16 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: JimRockford
Here is where there is general agreement in both studies:
1. West Antarctica ice is melting at an accelerating rate due to global warming.
2. East Antarctica ice is steadily increasing from a mechanism that began 10,000 years ago that brings massive amounts on moisture to the region that falls as snow.

The disagreement is about #2. Neither study refutes global warming in any way. Rush, Dredge an Alex Jones just spun it that way. There was no flip-flop, just a disagreement about the rate of a mechanism that began when we emerged from the ice age.

Completely wrong Jim I was not following anybody's spin. Did you not notice my original post was in quotes. It is directly from the NASA site dated October 30, 2015. It was not from a 3rd party site. It is easy to find but here is the link.

LINK
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 15th, 2018 at 2:12:38 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: kenarman
Completely wrong Jim I was not following anybody's spin. Did you not notice my original post was in quotes. It is directly from the NASA site dated October 30, 2015. It was not from a 3rd party site. It is easy to find but here is the link.

LINK

Yes I have read that page and I saw that you quoted from it. My summary does not contradict anything from your source. I stand by my statement.

Edit: Maybe my summary was a little unclear. Mechanism #1 (melting ice) is driven by global warming. Mechanism #2 (increasing ice) has nothing to do with global warming. All the 2015 study said was #2 added more ice than #1 lost. Other studies place a lower value on ice gained b #2.

Edit b: I find it hard to think on east and west Antarctica. If you're standing on the South Pole, which way is east?
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 15th, 2018 at 2:35:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman

1. I think there is a 60% chance the AFC will win the Super Bowl.
2. I think there is a 40% chance the NFC will win the Super Bowl.

Will I be wrong?

No, because the odds can't be quantified exactly. If you broke it down as 99% and 1%, then I wouldn't call you "wrong," but I would certainly try to take advantage with a bet.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 15th, 2018 at 3:26:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
No, because the odds can't be quantified exactly.

There is no getting around the
fact that Betfair had Hillary at
88% chance to win. That's not
even in the ballpark. I'm thinking
they probably had it closer to
100% behind closed doors.

I had Trump at least 50/50 because
Hillary was such a bad candidate
and Trump was packing them in
at rallies. I was far closer than Betfair.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 15th, 2018 at 4:10:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
U.S. Returns Stolen 500-Year-Old Christopher Columbus Letter to the Vatican. U.S. Ambassador Callista Gingrich has presented a 500-year-old document, written by Christopher Columbus, to the Vatican library. Following his 1492 expedition, Columbus wrote to his sponsors, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain. He praised the fertile land and described natives who were ripe for conversion to Christianity. The letter was immediately translated into Latin and reprinted in Rome. The Vatican got a copy, and held it in their library for safe keeping. Or so they thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/us-returns-stolen-500-year-old-christopher-columbus-letter-to-the-vatican/vi-AAyHrpi?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 15th, 2018 at 6:13:21 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: JimRockford

LINK

Yes I have read that page and I saw that you quoted from it. My summary does not contradict anything from your source. I stand by my statement.

Edit: Maybe my summary was a little unclear. Mechanism #1 (melting ice) is driven by global warming. Mechanism #2 (increasing ice) has nothing to do with global warming. All the 2015 study said was #2 added more ice than #1 lost. Other studies place a lower value on ice gained #2.

Edit b: I find it hard to think on east and west Antarctica. If you're standing on the South Pole, which way is east?

You are now using the same logic you accused me off when you called me wrong. Instead of using the source of the #2 data, NASA, you are choosing to believe a secondary repeat of the data that is putting their own spin on it.

I too have the same confusion on E. and W. when standing on the south pole.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 15th, 2018 at 6:21:07 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
There is no getting around the
fact that Betfair had Hillary at
88% chance to win. That's not
even in the ballpark. I'm thinking
they probably had it closer to
100% behind closed doors.

lol, the portion I’ve bolded for emphasis is just silly.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 15th, 2018 at 8:19:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Maybe you missed this quote from the article I cited.

Quote:
This is the most robust study of the ice mass balance of Antarctica to date,” said assessment team co-lead Erik Ivins at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)

Who said it? NASA
What do you think it means? "Most robust study... to date. "

Are you reading something different by someone from NASA?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 16th, 2018 at 4:38:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
No, because the odds can't be quantified exactly. If you broke it down as 99% and 1%, then I wouldn't call you "wrong," but I would certainly try to take advantage with a bet.

This is my position on the original statement of Trump at 10%. You just boiled my long post down to one sentence. How did I not do that?
The President is a fink.
June 17th, 2018 at 11:12:34 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Interesting active map on European migration from MENA on lower right of page. http://thesoundingline.com/flow-asylum-seekers-towards-europe/

Each dot represents 25 asylum seekers. Many have paid large sums to human smugglers and the family's left behind depend on remittances.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW