In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 18th, 2018 at 5:17:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/17/kathy-griffin-unleashes-profanity-laced-tirade-at-melania-trump-f-melanie.html

Fox News is obsessed with Kathy Griffin. They cover her every tweet as if she is president. And yet at the same time they also try to convince their clueless audience that her "career is over" (as she sells out stand up gigs all over the country).

Pick a lane!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 19th, 2018 at 4:47:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I don't usually participate in this thread, but I need an outlet, just about 'losing it' on this topic.

My view about the immigrant children being separated from their parents is this:

Illegal immigrants got the word that in previous administrations it was advantageous to them to bring their children. This led to more and more gaming of the system. Evidently, in some cases the children are not even really related to those who bring them, but in any case the volume of such cases has been exploding.

Advocates of illegal immigration [how else to put it? AOII hereafter] realized that they had previous administrations over a barrel with assistance from legal rulings, Reno_v._Flores and maybe others, that children can not be jailed with their parents and that they in any case cannot be held separately indefinitely. Apparently this is limited to 20 days, see newspaper link. That this is a limited time is never mentioned by the liberal media.

The choice that devolved is to release without detention immigrants with children, or to detain them and their children separately for the legal period. Previous administrations elected to stick their heads in the sand and this of course made the problem worse. I will also say the Obama administration was in sympathy with the AOII.

It is clear to me that the AOII knew full well they had their opposition over a barrel and in fact were well prepared in the event that some administration would dare to take the second option above. Man oh man did they leap into action! If you ever watch MSNBC or CNN [or no doubt most of the media] you must have seen just how ready they were for this.

As for the Trump administration, I charge them with making this more of a political football than was necessary and also for being unprepared to effectively argue their case. Otherwise, of course, I feel anyone who wants to see immigration law upheld has to feel sympathy for the current administration's dilemma - but as I can tell with some people I know, this necessitates avoiding media biased towards the AOII view.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/sd-me-family-separation-20180618-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reno_v._Flores
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 19th, 2018 at 9:25:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I have to ask: are you happy with the fucking Nazi in the Oval Office?

I don't care if I'm suspended. This board has lost any appeal it might have had. When a mere word is worse than openly demeaning women, insulting minorities, and kissing Trump's ass, then you don't have to look for what's wrong with the world, you simply walk to the nearest mirror and take a look.

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/trump-using-children-as-bargaining-chips-in-immigration-battle/

Because child abuse as policy is what? Noble? Great? Brilliant? Stable genius?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 19th, 2018 at 11:17:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
I have to ask: are you happy with the fucking Nazi in the Oval Office?

I don't care if I'm suspended. This board has lost any appeal it might have had. When a mere word is worse than openly demeaning women, insulting minorities, and kissing Trump's ass, then you don't have to look for what's wrong with the world, you simply walk to the nearest mirror and take a look.

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/trump-using-children-as-bargaining-chips-in-immigration-battle/

Because child abuse as policy is what? Noble? Great? Brilliant? Stable genius?

I can't disagree with your logic, but Mike may still suspend you.

What is profanity? Is it a full fledged disgusting idea fleshed out, or a word the worst offense? I say the former, in most cases. Especially if the word, as all the worst 7 are descriptions of body parts or biological processes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2018 at 12:05:54 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed

Well said.

We've always known the Trumpsters were deplorable. But now they are openly defending separating children from their parents and locking them in cages. It's disgusting.

This isn't a "both sides are to blame" issue. Donald Trump and the GOP that enables him are inhumane monsters, and the world would be much better off if we were rid of them.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 19th, 2018 at 12:27:40 PM permalink
odiousgambit
The administration in office now, and probably future administrations, are presented with a choice:

*detain illegal aliens who cross the border even when they bring children
..............due to legal rulings they cannot detain them in the same facility, so they are separated

*do not detain them in order to not break up adults with children
..............the word gets out and the problem multiplies as the system is gamed

Quote: Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen in a news conference, who was then grilled by the media about why she hadn't been paying more attention to the sad pictures that are going around
in the last three months we’ve seen illegal immigration on our southern border exceed 50,000 people each month, multiples over each month last year. Since this time last year, there has been a 325 percent increase in unaccompanied alien children and a 435 percent increase in family units entering the country illegally.

Over the last ten years, there has been a 1700 percent increase in asylum claims, resulting in asylum backlog of 600,000 cases
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/us/politics/dhs-kirstjen-nielsen-families-separated-border-transcript.html
June 19th, 2018 at 12:55:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
The administration in office now, and probably future administrations, are presented with a choice:

*detain illegal aliens who cross the border even when they bring children
..............due to legal rulings they cannot detain them in the same facility, so they are separated

*do not detain them in order to not break up adults with children
..............the word gets out and the problem multiplies as the system is gamed

There's not just two alternatives. I guarantee you if the Republicans want to build proper facilities for this, it could alleviate the problem with out so called 'catch & releases. But that's means money out of their pocket, and I know most Republicans object to proper social services if they have to pay for it. And they're sure not going to sponsor such a solution.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2018 at 12:59:16 PM permalink
rxwine
And wait until they find out a border wall doesn't work without humans being funded to patrol all of it 24 hours a day. Better off they don't find out the hard way. Meanwhile they can pretend it will work as long as it doesn't ever get done.
June 19th, 2018 at 1:12:24 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
There's not just two alternatives. I guarantee you if the Republicans want to build proper facilities for this, it could alleviate the problem with out so called 'catch & releases. ...

what facility could you build that would keep the children together with the adults yet not keep the children with the adults?

look, I think the administration has not handled this well; I think before you 'drop the bomb' you should have a lot of discussion first about how awful it is going to be, and after it explodes you'd better be prepared to say 'I told you so' with authority. This just seems to have been some kind of secret plot.
June 19th, 2018 at 2:33:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
And wait until they find out a border wall doesn't work without humans being funded to patrol all of it 24 hours a day. Better off they don't find out the hard way. Meanwhile they can pretend it will work as long as it doesn't ever get done.

Better to pay a wage to a few thousand Americans than welfare to a million illegal aliens.

Proof the wall is a good idea shown every time a liberal gets so upset over it.
The President is a fink.