In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 24th, 2018 at 9:53:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
What happened to the long post you put up? Give me a chance to respond before you take it down.
I decided if I couldn't boil it down to fewer words, it wasn't worth consideration. It made sense at the time.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 24th, 2018 at 10:01:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I make my own decisions and I have decided that the intimacy of sexual activity is best in the context of true love.
I think everybody does? But it's not the reality of of it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 25th, 2018 at 4:27:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
There's plenty of moral quandaries in Breaking Bad. When that kid got shot on the railroad incident, there was no intricate moral justification except to save the business.

That kid was the only murder I can think of where the victim was totally innocent. Even Hank went off the reservation to trap Walt.

Quote: Evenbob
That scene turned me against WW
for the rest of the series. I don't
know if that's what the writers
intended, but it sure worked for
me.

I don't blame Walter for that. He did not even notice he did it, and was trying to save Jesse. She was a heroin addict roping Jesse in and she was blackmailing Walt. They talked about getting clean and doing all this travel, but it never would have happened. In a few months they would have gone thru all the money and assuming they had not OD by that time the two of them would have ended up the same as the couple with the ATM machine, white trash losers with Jane probably going out on the street to feed their habit. Happens every time with H.

Quote: Evenbob
That scene turned me against WW
for the rest of the series. I don't
know if that's what the writers
intended, but it sure worked for
me.

The idea the writers had was you were supposed to like Walt less and less as the series progressed. Some people started to hate him, others started to like him. I liked him, guy was afraid of his own shadow, henpecked to the hilt then one year later he is staring down a major meth distributor in the "SAY MY NAME" scene.

No writing is perfect, but was just thinking when he did the prison killings he should have had Jack clip Ted as well. That would have been neat.
The President is a fink.
July 25th, 2018 at 5:51:08 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I make my own decisions and I have decided that the intimacy of sexual activity is best in the context of true love. When it is used for selfish pleasure this beautiful gift of humanity is distorted and causes great harm. This is not a religious post or dogma, this is truth and you and everyone here knows it.

That is good for YOU. Do you believe YOU have the right to force that idea on a woman and man who disagree? If a man and a woman in conversation mention to you that they do not love each other but just enjoy sex together, you may think that is not good, but do you TRY and force your ideas on them?

What if the woman says she is indifferent but likes the money the man pays her? YOU want to take that ability away from her?

In almost all instances, I want consenting adults left alone. I don't want the Church OR the Government involved.
July 25th, 2018 at 7:04:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: SOOPOO
In almost all instances, I want consenting adults left alone. I don't want the Church OR the Government involved.
Would you care to clarify your views as to such situations as Supervisor-Employee, Landlord-Tenant, Spouse with PhD versus Spouse with PHT, Rich Man - Poor Woman w/ Kids, etc.

I think of the "Their Famine Is Over, Why Don't They Go Home'' song: what happens when an Irish Catholic husband loses his wife or at least loses her services? Should the state accept their policy of having the eldest daughters assume the role for progeny and pleasure?

What do you do when the state leaves the young hookers alone but they suddenly find out that there are too many younger hookers out there and the hookers without an education or workplace skills are simply unable to make a living? There are no pension plans in that line of work. (I don't think).
July 25th, 2018 at 7:32:28 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: SOOPOO
That is good for YOU. Do you believe YOU have the right to force that idea on a woman and man who disagree? If a man and a woman in conversation mention to you that they do not love each other but just enjoy sex together, you may think that is not good, but do you TRY and force your ideas on them?

What if the woman says she is indifferent but likes the money the man pays her? YOU want to take that ability away from her?

First of all, I wouldn't and couldn't force anyone to do anything. However, I would most certainly challenge their thinking and ask questions. I think the more they talk about the notion of casual sex without any feelings or emotions the more they will realize their mistakes. In the second case asking if you could do something else to earn money would you? Is it safe and healthy for you? So yes I do want her to stop what she is doing. Do I want to take it away from her? No, I want her to stop doing it. I want to leave adults alone as well but I see nothing wrong with talking and trying to show someone the error of their ways. One of the biggest problems of today is it seems like people can't challenge your thinking without being called every name in the book.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 25th, 2018 at 8:10:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
. I want to leave adults alone as well but I see nothing wrong with talking and trying to show someone the error of their ways. One of the biggest problems of today is it seems like people can't challenge your thinking without being called every name in the book.
True. I think there was a lengthy novel about eating soft boiled eggs from the large end or the small end. Of course 'tolerance' is just fine but then one finds out that those with 'wrong' thinking outnumber you and are coming for you with a rope.
July 25th, 2018 at 10:24:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
First of all, I wouldn't and couldn't force anyone to do anything. However, I would most certainly challenge their thinking and ask questions..

It's none of your business unless
they ask you. Do you even understand
that concept, or is everybody elses
business automatically your business.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 25th, 2018 at 10:45:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
What do you do when the state leaves the young hookers alone but they suddenly find out that there are too many younger hookers out there and the hookers without an education or workplace skills are simply unable to make a living? There are no pension plans in that line of work. (I don't think).

I think a retirement planner would tell them your job is suppose to work like a professional athlete. You have a period of years where you make a lot of money. If you don't manage it then you're going to need other options planned later.

Quote:
It’s the same with prostitution. It’s not because we’re so poor, but rather the huge difference in salary that makes the difference. I can make here at least 30 times more money then in my home country with a normal job. And that’s just a bare minimum. I’ve had times I made more then 100 times a normal salary I could make at home. I think if people over there could make 100 times more money doing prostitution then they make now with a normal, they’d also seriously consider it.

https://collegetimes.co/felicia-anna-interview/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 25th, 2018 at 12:07:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Proposed SF law could force tech workers to actually go out for lunch.

SF trying to ban employee cafeterias!

Just when you think that place can not get any more nuts!
The President is a fink.