In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 10th, 2018 at 5:01:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
It seems every new hurricane coming ashore is labeled, "the worst in xxx years" then demoted to a 3 or 2. I've already seen the phrase, "the worst" used with this one. Takes the meaning out of worst, and hurricane both. "crying hurricane" to much will lure people into not preparing or evacuating.

This is a big one
Real big
The size is incredible
Hitting land, it stayed a hurricane
Amazing. Its entering Georgia and crossing deep into Georgia as a hurricane.
It would not surprise me if this becomes the costliest in US history
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 10th, 2018 at 5:18:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
This is a big one
Real big
The size is incredible
Hitting land, it stayed a hurricane
Amazing. Its entering Georgia and crossing deep into Georgia as a hurricane.
It would not surprise me if this becomes the costliest in US history
Sorry to hear that, but it does reinforce my statement. The weather people have called the last several hurricanes "the worst ever". People desensitize to the constant inflaming of storms.

It's already downgraded to a three or less isn't it?

Just looked at some updates, that does look like a bad storm. I wouldn't want to live there. My daughter went to college in Pensacola.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 10th, 2018 at 7:35:12 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Amazing, hurricanes downgrade and disappear once over land... Who would have thunk it?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 10th, 2018 at 9:57:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Sorry to hear that, but it does reinforce my statement. The weather people have called the last several hurricanes "the worst ever". People desensitize to the constant inflaming of storms.

pretty accurate,
1 tore the hell out of Puerto Rico,
2 n. Carolina had days of heavy flood damage,
3 this one had epic wind and storm surge. looks like a lot of property damage.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 12th, 2018 at 11:01:10 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
A crazy anecdote from this morning's Wall Street Journal:

Quote: Wall Street Journal
During Mr. Trump’s visit to Beijing last fall, Mr. Kelly got into a physical altercation with a Chinese official who was seeking access to the nuclear football, the briefcase that includes the president’s mobile nuclear-missile command center. Mr. Kelly told colleagues that he refused to accept an apology, and he would only accept one if a senior Chinese official came to Washington and offered contrition while standing under a U.S. flag.

I'm beginning to think that maybe China isn't really our friend.
October 12th, 2018 at 12:36:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: reno
I'm beginning to think that maybe China isn't really our friend.
Never has been, never will be.
October 12th, 2018 at 12:48:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Never has been, never will be.

Each of us has only been friendly with the other when it suited our needs. Geographic distance alone means little other reason to be friends with them. Next to nothing in common. It is good that we had the foresight to box in their nave 80 years ago.
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2018 at 7:52:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Looks like the end of the line for Sears. If they had kept the catalog just 5 more years and had vision they might have been AMZN and Bezos would be huckstering items at home shows and carnivals.

Looking at the last 10 years, it is hard to believe the decline was not a deliberate attempt to loot what was remaining. During this time they have been burning the furniture to heat the house. While 10 years ago they might have survived with some re-working of their merchandising, the place just kept declining.

And retail moves on. But I doubt even AMZN ever has their own private label of autos.
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2018 at 2:39:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Looks like the end of the line for Sears. .

When I was kid, Sears was everything.
My dad lived on a farm in the 20's
and he said the new Sears catalog,
they called it the 'wish book', was
a huge deal. When the new one came,
they used the old one for toilet paper
in the outhouse. After reading the page
you were about to use, of course.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2018 at 3:16:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Liz Warren has about as much Indian
DNA as most Euro/Americans do.
This is the Cherokee Nation speaking
today:

"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person’s ancestors were indigenous to North or South America.. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."

What an idiot she must be to do all
this 23 days before the election. It
makes her and the Dems look like
morons.

http://www.cherokee.org/News/Stories/20181015_Cherokee-Nation-responds-to-Senator-Warrens-DNA-test
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.