In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 9th, 2019 at 8:51:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
Yes, it is called an "investment." Green company hires a lobbyist to spread some green, pol votes to require "clean" energy. Pol gets their green, company gets their green, consumer loses.
I wonder about this "no gasoline operated vehicles sold in BC, CA after 2020". Must be a shot in the arm for electric cars or else car dealers just across the border.
June 9th, 2019 at 9:23:42 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Fleastiff
I wonder about this "no gasoline operated vehicles sold in BC, CA after 2020". Must be a shot in the arm for electric cars or else car dealers just across the border.

It is actually 2040 Flea and as we all know 20 years is forever in the wonderful world of politics so what really happens is unknown at this point in time. Maybe man made climate change will be debunked by then. It will take the province 20 years to build the infrastructure to provide enough power to charge the cars regardless. The current major power project the 'Site C Dam', which the environmentalist fought tooth and nail before it proceeded, will cover only 25% of the increased power needs if we truly go 100% EV.

The current minority government which is a lefty New Democratic Party propped up by a few Green Party members can't even get their vision straight on the future. They recently cancelled the contracts with a bunch of small 'run of river' green hydro electric producers. They did this "drum roll please" because they were paying more for the power than it was being sold for. The elected officials haven't even got there head around the fact that all green power needs to be heavily subsidized or the rates to the consumer need to go up substantially. Raising rates of course means they don't get re-elected despite many on this board thinking a large number of people will voluntarily pay more to be green.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 9th, 2019 at 9:57:36 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
If you really think wind farms produce more energy than they consume than I can't help you. .

Explaining it to them is a lost cause
I've lost interest in. Like trying to
talk a vegan into a hamburger.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2019 at 10:07:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

There are a few places trying this. I figure for them to rescind it a few years before when it becomes clear that it will never happen. Notice how these leftist pols always make goals that happen long after they are gone.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2019 at 12:46:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
If you really think wind farms produce more energy than they consume than I can't help you. Once you are ready to leave your 'green addiction' behind I can help you get there. There is help out there once you are ready.

If I were you, in 1996 I would be predicting the $2000 laptop I had then was the best that was ever going to be made, whereas my cellphone does more than it did. Now I can buy a $400 laptop which outclasses that old one many times over.

Furthermore we don't need to greatly surpass our current mainstays just be competitive. There's still improvements to be made in production costs, recycling of old materials and some efficiency of power to be gained. And btw, oil companies have also been receiving subsidies, and still do.

Benefits from alternative energy aren't just cost but probable health benefits as well from lower emissions near cities in use of millions of vehicles for instance. I should say proven, because there is already plenty of evidence that even with the lowest emissions you can produce plenty of smog and that produces respiratory issues.-v

There's still plenty wrong in the recycling of wind turbines. The lifespan of modern skyscrapers is suppose to be 100-200 years. Not sure why the non-moving structure shouldn't be usable for a minimum of 40-60 years. I actually don't know why not longer than that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2019 at 1:07:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Furthermore we don't need to greatly surpass our current mainstays just be competitive. There's still improvements to be made in production costs, recycling of old materials and some efficiency of power to be gained. And btw, oil companies have also been receiving subsidies, and still do.

I keep waiting to see one of these oil company "subsidies." Usually they amount to tax treatments, which is not a subsidy.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2019 at 1:31:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
I keep waiting to see one of these oil company "subsidies." Usually they amount to tax treatments, which is not a subsidy.

Investopedia

Quote:
What is a Subsidy
A subsidy is a benefit given to an individual, business or institution, usually by the government. It is usually in the form of a cash payment or a tax reduction. The subsidy is typically given to remove some type of burden, and it is often considered to be in the overall interest of the public, given to promote a social good or an economic policy.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/subsidy.asp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2019 at 1:43:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Like I said, it is in tax treatment. And the reason is that oil assets depreciate different than most assets. IOW, not really the same kind of subsidy as solar/wind/etc.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2019 at 1:58:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Oil field do get depleted, but as the Reserve Oil company proved, you can get rich buying 'depleted' fields.
June 9th, 2019 at 2:18:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Oil field do get depleted, but as the Reserve Oil company proved, you can get rich buying 'depleted' fields.

Yes, you can. A depleted field may have half the reserves left. What makes oil great.
The President is a fink.