In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 9th, 2019 at 2:26:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
If I were you, in 1996 I would be predicting the $2000 laptop I had then was the best that was ever going to be made, whereas my cellphone does more than it did. Now I can buy a $400 laptop which outclasses that old one many times over.

Obviously you weren't predicting it either or you wouldn't have spent $2000 on a laptop.

Furthermore we don't need to greatly surpass our current mainstays just be competitive. There's still improvements to be made in production costs, recycling of old materials and some efficiency of power to be gained. And btw, oil companies have also been receiving subsidies, and still do.

My last post was not about subsidies but the fact that it takes 10% more power to build and run a wind turbine then it produces. Turbines are a net energy loss. How does this help society? It certainly puts money in the pockest of the companies that run them.

Benefits from alternative energy aren't just cost but probable health benefits as well from lower emissions near cities in use of millions of vehicles for instance. I should say proven, because there is already plenty of evidence that even with the lowest emissions you can produce plenty of smog and that produces respiratory issues.-v

There's still plenty wrong in the recycling of wind turbines. The lifespan of modern skyscrapers is suppose to be 100-200 years. Not sure why the non-moving structure shouldn't be usable for a minimum of 40-60 years. I actually don't know why not longer than that.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 9th, 2019 at 2:32:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Oil field do get depleted, but as the Reserve Oil company proved, you can get rich buying 'depleted' fields.

Not sure what the mechanism is, but seems like it there could be a "seepage" effect. Kinda of like when you mop up water from a slow leak. If water is coming in from a slow leak you can dry the area completely, but a slow leak will have water all over the place after many hours. Just have to wait long enough.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2019 at 4:08:08 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
oil is not dead dinosuars, its a microbial product; that is why depleted fields re-generate themselves,albeit very slowly.
June 9th, 2019 at 4:20:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
oil is not dead dinosuars,.

I didn't know that till a couple
years ago. It's an urban myth.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2019 at 4:44:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Not sure what the mechanism is, but seems like it there could be a "seepage" effect. Kinda of like when you mop up water from a slow leak. If water is coming in from a slow leak you can dry the area completely, but a slow leak will have water all over the place after many hours. Just have to wait long enough.

Lots of things come into it. We are finding that oil as Flea said is not "dead dinosaurs." It seems to come from very deep, seeping up slowly. But there is more than that. You can add pressure to a field. Oil is sticky, ever try getting it off your hands? Add pressure and it will force its way to the surface. Or you can add acid. Acid eats the rock, not the oil. More oil flows. That is just two ways. Roughnecks know even more.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2019 at 6:44:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Lots of things come into it. We are finding that oil as Flea said is not "dead dinosaurs." .

I read that wherever there's oil, it was
once the bottom of an ocean. So
there is probably enough oil under
the worlds oceans, at depth, to
last for thousands of years. It's the
water pressure that causes the
oil to be made.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2019 at 8:43:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Petro, is often talking about the US interfering in different places.

I saw this headline from an opinion piece. Seems like it's in his wheelhouse. Maybe he can respond.

Quote:
Why Should Immigrants ‘Respect Our Borders’? The West Never Respected Theirs
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2019 at 9:01:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Petro, is often talking about the US interfering in different places.

I saw this headline from an opinion piece. Seems like it's in his wheelhouse. Maybe he can respond.
How do you think about it?

The actions of a state are different from the actions of an individual.

I've been pretty migratory myself. Got ticketed in Montana for "seeking gainful employment" while I had Washington license plates on my vehicle. $140.00

As far as bombing other country's, congress should have to weigh in on it instead of hiding behind their desks. imo

...takes cheese
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 9th, 2019 at 10:42:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: petroglyph
How do you think about it?

The actions of a state are different from the actions of an individual.

I've been pretty migratory myself. Got ticketed in Montana for "seeking gainful employment" while I had Washington license plates on my vehicle. $140.00

As far as bombing other country's, congress should have to weigh in on it instead of hiding behind their desks. imo

...takes cheese

Well, a lot of neo-con types and other believers in American exceptionalism thought interfering in other countries openly or secretly was in our best interest. Those types are also part of the group screaming the loudest about regular people trying to cross our borders which is in those people's best interest. Since I side with the interests of regular people, it seems a pretty fair criticism.
June 10th, 2019 at 2:20:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Well, a lot of neo-con types and other believers in American exceptionalism thought interfering in other countries openly or secretly was in our best interest. Those types are also part of the group screaming the loudest about regular people trying to cross our borders which is in those people's best interest. Since I side with the interests of regular people, it seems a pretty fair criticism.

I do not see how one compares with the other. Just an excuse to let a person justify illegal immigration.
The President is a fink.