In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 10th, 2019 at 7:36:29 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Well, a lot of neo-con types and other believers in American exceptionalism thought interfering in other countries openly or secretly was in our best interest. Those types are also part of the group screaming the loudest about regular people trying to cross our borders which is in those people's best interest. Since I side with the interests of regular people, it seems a pretty fair criticism.

Glad to see you are making progressing Grasshopper. You now realize that everyone's action are for their own best interest from individuals to company owners to countries. It really is all about the money. Now start using that new found knowledge when you are viewing the causes that those on both the left and right are pushing to seek the truth and not accept the shallow answers to the questions.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 10th, 2019 at 12:26:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Glad to see you are making progressing Grasshopper. You now realize that everyone's action are for their own best interest from individuals to company owners to countries. It really is all about the money. Now start using that new found knowledge when you are viewing the causes that those on both the left and right are pushing to seek the truth and not accept the shallow answers to the questions.

I've moved not an iota in my views.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2019 at 12:57:39 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I've moved not an iota in my views.

That sounds like a pretty closed mind. The same as thiose that say "my mind is made up don't confuse me with facts".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 10th, 2019 at 1:45:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
That sounds like a pretty closed mind. The same as thiose that say "my mind is made up don't confuse me with facts".

I don't establish life changing opinions from a few facts going one way or the other, unless it's really solid like a brick to the head, or hand on a hot stove.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2019 at 2:18:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Well, a lot of neo-con types and other believers in American exceptionalism thought interfering in other countries openly or secretly was in our best interest.
This post is "post soup", respectfully. Even the coined phrase "American exceptionalism" is soup. As is neo-con. My understanding of neo-con is probably different than yours. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

"American exceptionalism is one of three related ideas. The first is that the history of the United States is inherently different from other nations.[2] In this view, American exceptionalism stems from its emergence from the American Revolution, thereby becoming what political scientist Seymour Martin Lipset called "the first new nation"....... If this is what you mean by AE, than yes we are definitely exceptional.

"The actual phrase "American Exceptionalism" was originally coined by Soviet leader Joseph Stalin as a critique of a revisionist faction of American Communists who argued that the American political climate was unique, making it an 'exception' to certain elements of Marxist theory".....If you are using it that way, then it would also be accurate.

We could go on for pages about just what American exceptionalism means, you probably have your belief of what that is. But you combine it with neo-con and that multiplies the doubt that we can agree on even your proposition .

If I take your first sentence, Well, a lot of neo-con types and other believers in American exceptionalism thought interfering in other countries openly or secretly was in our best interest. individually, by itself, I could agree with it. But when you combine it with the other "ingredient", Those types are also part of the group screaming the loudest about regular people trying to cross our borders which is in those people's best interest. , that's where my agreement falls away.

"Those types" [neo-cons], we differ that they are the group that is always the loudest. Partially because we differ on who the neo-cons are. Sure they scream, and I agree they aid in illegals crossing the border to their benefit. But my interpretation of neo-con has them screaming both ways, for and against illegal immigrants. And,,,I hear more shrill coming from the neo-liberals. The conservatives are more stealthy. Regardless, they aren't doing it for me, this country, or the immigrants.

Quote:
Those types are also part of the group screaming the loudest about regular people trying to cross our borders which is in those people's best interest. Since I side with the interests of regular people, it seems a pretty fair criticism.

I doubt the two of us can even agree on who "regular people" are ? I don't see someone grabbing their kids and walking a thousand miles with little on their backs to find work in another country, as regular. Because that's been me, and I've mixed with others like me, and I don't see them as average, or regular. The regular types didn't cross the country in covered wagons, the regular types stayed put and eked out a living where they were. It is the exceptionals that spread the human struggle, imo. A lot of worthless ****stains stayed put and became racist, religious, abusive, worthless lumps. It takes courage to cross, at least from my experience.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 10th, 2019 at 4:03:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Petro, is often talking about the US interfering in different places....

https://www.rt.com/news/461533-mike-pompeo-meddling-corbyn-uk/

Pretty cut and dried.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 10th, 2019 at 4:48:03 PM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
June 10th, 2019 at 5:54:18 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
hmm
1 person killed?
That's news?
33 people killed by guns yesterday
Our country is so violent, not a single one of those deaths yesterday is newsworthy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 11th, 2019 at 2:16:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I would fully support placing those 33 guns in prison.
June 11th, 2019 at 1:15:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
hmm
1 person killed?
That's news?
33 people killed by guns yesterday
Our country is so violent, not a single one of those deaths yesterday is newsworthy

About 151,000 people die each day. 33 seems rather insignificant to me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.