In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 17th, 2019 at 4:10:21 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman

Should get your facts straight before posting TP.

The Most and Least Visited Caribbean Destinations from Oyster.com

•Dominican Republic, 6.2 million. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic/Oyster. ...
•Cuba, 3.9 million. Havana, Cuba/Oyster. ...
•Puerto Rico, 3.9 million. Old San Juan, Puerto Rico/Oyster. ...
•Jamaica, 2.4 million. Port Antonio, Jamaica/Oyster. ...
•Bahamas, 1.5 million. ...
•Montserrat, 8,000. ...
•Anguilla, 68,000. ...
•St. Vincent and the Grenadines, 76,000.

I am very surprised by these numbers. Actually shocked
More visit the Dominican Republic then the Bahamas?
I simply don't believe these numbers. Makes no sense
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 17th, 2019 at 4:35:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

Because you're such an expert. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 17th, 2019 at 4:42:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
More visit the Dominican Republic then the Bahamas?
I simply don't believe these numbers. Makes no sense

I think a lot of people will not leave the resort area, and if it's cheap and they had a good time (and didn't die), it would attract people.

There are other places in the world like that. As long as you don't leave the tourist area -- and the place doesn't erupt in revolution. and terrorist don't attack your hotel...good times.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 17th, 2019 at 5:13:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
I think a lot of people will not leave the resort area, and if it's cheap and they had a good time (and didn't die), it would attract people.

There are other places in the world like that. As long as you don't leave the tourist area -- and the place doesn't erupt in revolution. and terrorist don't attack your hotel...good times.

I'm wrong and the numbers are right
What do I know about leisure travel. Not much
I never book Paris, I book Quimper, a business destination
I never book Rome, I book Milan, a business destination
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 17th, 2019 at 5:32:03 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I'm wrong and the numbers are right
What do I know about leisure travel. Not much

What a refreshing post TP so few on this forum will admit when they make a mistake. I mean this sincerely and not as a dig at you.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 17th, 2019 at 6:15:19 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
There's a growing suspicion that some of the tourists that are dying in the D.R. are being poisoned.

Or it may be rabies
joke

https://nypost.com/2019/06/17/more-info-out-over-deaths-in-dominican-republic-like-man-foaming-at-mouth/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 17th, 2019 at 6:37:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
There's a growing suspicion that some of the tourists that are dying in the D.R. are being poisoned.

Other than a serial killer, could be a bootleg liquor operation. Various service staff replace the more select liquor with a cheap replacement. Perhaps not a very safe replacement.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 18th, 2019 at 8:11:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I see all these deaths of tourists in the Dominican Republic
What I don't understand is
Why are people vacationing in the Dominican Republic
If I was recommending a vacation in the islands, Dominican Republic would be the 2nd to last place I would recommend. Haiti is in last place.

Having just gotten married there a week or so after the first mystery death, I can explain the allure.

Gorgeous beaches. Immaculate pools. Perfect weather. Great food. Unlimited alcohol. VERY REASONABLY priced. All weighed against the extremely small number of bad outcomes when compared to the huge denominator of travelers there. I would be comfortable going back, but I think wifey would not.
We are going to honeymoon on Santorini in a few weeks. Probably no safer nor more risky.
June 19th, 2019 at 10:44:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
The Pentagon believes using nuclear weapons could “create conditions for decisive results and the restoration of strategic stability”, according to a new nuclear doctrine adopted by the US joint chiefs of staff last week.

The document, entitled Nuclear Operations, was published on 11 June, and was the first such doctrine paper for 14 years. Arms control experts say it marks a shift in US military thinking towards the idea of fighting and winning a nuclear war

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nuclear-weapons-experts-alarmed-by-new-pentagon-war-fighting-doctrine/ar-AAD7NX4?ocid=spartanntp
June 19th, 2019 at 11:56:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:

A Florida city agreed to pay $600,000 in ransom to hackers who took over its computer system, the latest in thousands of attacks worldwide aimed at extorting money from governments and businesses.

The Riviera Beach City Council voted unanimously this week to pay the hackers' demands, believing the Palm Beach suburb had no choice if it wanted to retrieve its records, which the hackers encrypted. The council already voted to spend almost $1 million on new computers and hardware after hackers captured the city's system three weeks ago.

The hackers apparently got into the city's system when an employee clicked on an email link that allowed them to upload malware. Along with the encrypted records, the city had numerous problems including a disabled email system, employees and vendors being paid by check rather than direct deposit and 911 dispatchers being unable to enter calls into the computer. The city says there was no delay in response time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-city-pays-dollar600000-ransom-to-save-computer-records/ar-AAD7SyN?ocid=spartanntp