In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 24th, 2019 at 11:07:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
Not "within" natural gas, but a co-product. I do not think it comes from fracked wells, though.
It is likely the case that some wells have a lot of helium and others, most?, too little to be profitably used for helium extraction.

but I would bet that we are no more likely to run out of helium than natural gas itself if the market is allowed to set the price. Since helium was once cheap enough to fill balloons and give them away, I would also be willing to bet that the free market price would not be prohibitive, though you'd have to define 'prohibitive'. I could lose the latter bet, but I'd be confident about the former.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 24th, 2019 at 11:17:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
It is likely the case that some wells have a lot of helium and others, most?, too little to be profitably used for helium extraction.

The way I understand it, and I am a landman not a geologist, is that helium is in the "pockets" where traditional wells are drilled. Fracking deals with rock, so I do not think there is a ton of helium. If there was, we would be hearing about it as formations like Marcellus and Utica are the biggest gas wells on earth.

Quote:
but I would bet that we are no more likely to run out of helium than natural gas itself if the market is allowed to set the price. Since helium was once cheap enough to fill balloons and give them away, I would also be willing to bet that the free market price would not be prohibitive, though you'd have to define 'prohibitive'. I could lose the latter bet, but I'd be confident about the former.

IIRC there is also loads of Helium in the oceans, separating it is a bit tough maybe.

Or we could make it by controlled Hydrogen bomb explosions. H + H = He
The President is a fink.
June 24th, 2019 at 12:02:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
...I am a landman not a geologist,...

Mailman here. And while I've moved past geology long ago, it was the subject that sparked my interest in science.

He is the result of radioactive decay, and Earth is filled with radioactive elements. Once decayed into He, it's trapped by rocks same as all the other gases. It's not made of or a part of natural gas, it just collects in the same fashion and in the same locations for the same reasons.

Sol makes He, I believe the corona is ALL He. Not that it helps us =p

I have no idea how it's manufactured. My rusty chemistry says it can't be, but I'm no physicist.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 25th, 2019 at 2:36:17 AM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
Democrats form circular firing squad

can't stand these losers!!!!!!!!
June 25th, 2019 at 2:37:06 AM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
aww poor little Pete Buttcrack......................................

Black residents of South Bend unload on Mayor Pete Buttigieg

he needs to go back to Chasen Buttcrack LOL!!!!!!!
June 25th, 2019 at 3:42:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: YeahBaby
aww poor little Pete Buttcrack......................................

Black residents of South Bend unload on Mayor Pete Buttigieg

he needs to go back to Chasen Buttcrack LOL!!!!!!!

But they will still vote Democrat, so he has nothing to worry about.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2019 at 4:00:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Sorry. All the link does is tell me to pay money that I don't got and would be unlikely to spend if I did have it.
June 25th, 2019 at 4:07:45 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Ordinary garden slug was cause of Japanese railroad power disruption. Authorities kept silent for several weeks for undisclosed reasons.
See /.
June 25th, 2019 at 4:34:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Scientists describe the amyloid causation theory of Alzhiemers as a religious orthodoxy promulgated by a cabal of scientists and editors.

Not the usual discourse of scientists.

I happen to agree with the dissidents and consider the tenor of the discourse to be long overdue.
June 25th, 2019 at 12:25:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Ordinary garden slug was cause of Japanese railroad power disruption. Authorities kept silent for several weeks for undisclosed reasons.

Reminds me, the original term "bug" in programming came from an actual moth in the computer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?