1500yr old bible found

Page 2 of 2<12
May 5th, 2014 at 1:32:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Fleastiff, you've got quite a grotesque imagination if you can think of such disgusting books or believe that the atrocities of the Spanish Inquisition are guided by the Holy Spirit.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 5th, 2014 at 3:42:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I The Catholic Church put together the Bible so it is kind of silly to say they put it together wrong.

From the standpoint of the Church, the Bible
says exactly what they wanted it to say, that
was the point. Whether it's true or not is irrelevant,
this is religion, truth has nothing to do with it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2014 at 5:05:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
The Catholic Church put together the Bible so it is kind of silly to say they put it together wrong. Write your own Bible and let's see if its on the
best seller list forever!

So they included what was true and not what was apocryphal? Wonder how they verified the Book of Revelations? Half the television preachers would be out of business without that one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 5th, 2014 at 7:54:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
So they included what was true and not what was apocryphal? Wonder how they verified the Book of Revelations? .

They didn't 'verify' squat. It was all political. They
had an agenda and if your piece fit that agenda,
it was included. They threw out far more than
they kept. In fact, there's evidence that half
the NT are forgeries anyway, especially Paul's
writings.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/13/half-of-new-testament-forged-bible-scholar-says/

Like I said, what's the difference. This is religion,
not science. It's all about emotion, who cares.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2014 at 8:01:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'm reading the Book of Revelation (notice it is singular) right now and am for the first time getting a lot out of it. I remember at the prison one time a guy came up to me and said, "Father the Bible doesn't make any sense I'm going to stop reading it." I asked what part he was reading and he said it was Revelation. I told him to stop reading that part of the Bible right away. After recommending the Gospels he was much more at peace the next time I saw him.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 5th, 2014 at 8:22:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Actually Bob the word canon literally means measure or standard; so all the books found in the "canon of Scripture" are indeed verified. There are many ways to go about verifying books of the Bible such as historicity, factual information, written by or connected to an authoritative author, ancient or in the Apostolic era, quotes of OT in the NT, manuscript evidence, etc., etc...

The article you quote is just simply awful. While not ever book in the Bible was written by who it is attributed to this does not make it a forgery. This common practice in those days of a disciple writing a text attributed to your teacher or master or school of thought is not devious or a form of trickery - it is the inspired expression of the persons thoughts and theology.

Let's be clear here Bob, what you are writing lately is your emotion and your opinion. Religion and the study of it is historical, factual, and an important intellectual discipline that thinking people do and should care about. I'm sorry to say that what you are saying about religion is not verified and often simply wrong. I like your posts but if all your going to contribute is your emotion, who cares.
May 5th, 2014 at 8:36:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Religion and the study of it is historical, factual, and an important intellectual discipline that thinking people do and should care about.
Perhaps but I think Calvin Coolidge had the right idea when a reporter queried him about his having attended a church in Washington DC.

Silent Cal said "The sermon was about sin"
When the reporter sought a bit more information,
Silent Cal said "He was against it".

Simple direct and to the point.

Or perhaps the old eskimo joke is appropriate:

Eskimo: If I did not know about God and sin would I go to Hell?
Priest: No, if you did not know, you would go to Heaven.
Eskimo: Then why did you tell me?
May 5th, 2014 at 9:15:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
all the books found in the "canon of Scripture" are indeed verified.

I'm sure the 5th century verification forensics were
state of the art. That is to say, non existent. Most
of the books chosen were because they were popular.
They churches used them a lot. There were scores
and scores of pieces to choose from, all of them
hundreds of years old. If yours was popular and
toed the Church dogma, it was chosen.

Religion and the study of it is historical, factual, and an important intellectual discipline.

And the people who believe in Bigfoot feel
the same way about their hobby. It just
takes up the time between cradle and grave,
and makes people feel they're important.
No one thing is life is more important than
any other one thing, it's not possible.

I saw a mosquito yesterday and thought about
all the African babies that die of malaria every
day. Who was more important, the mosquito
or the baby. Obviously they're of equal importance.

We had to invent morality because the universe
has none. It simply is what it is.
Page 2 of 2<12