Shorted Jalepeno Poppers

Page 1 of 212>
May 7th, 2014 at 12:08:56 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Over the last few months, we've bought a few boxes which all were way off on the counts. You're supposed to get about 9 poppers but usually it's 7 if not 6. I can't weigh them at home and say the weight is off but assume it isn't. I can see them making more money since cutting peppers seems more difficult than pouring cream cheese or cheese, but should the back side of the box be true or the front? I could go in and get 200% back, but I'm not wanting to seem begging even though they don't care about someone whom was supposed to eat popper 8 and 9. I really either can't grasp the luck of this happening or the lack of quality and care for achieving quality after now a few months. You just think it wouldn't be worth it if it's just intentional. I have never seen anything like it.
May 7th, 2014 at 2:03:04 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
It's actually common. I just looked at 2 packages from Aldi's and there were only 7 in each box which both claimed to have 3 servings of 3. I'm now confident you can't go to any store buying this product and actually get the number of poppers promised on the box. I've seen stories stating calories, fat, salt, sugar numbers were usually lies but never thought something so obvious would be so blatantly wrong. Go out and buy any product brand anywhere in the country and odds are, you'll be short.
May 7th, 2014 at 4:34:50 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
One of the "important" numbers is the weight. What I mean by important is the company can be fined if it isn't accurate.

I don't know how important the count is, but I believe it is less important than the weight, for labeling purposes.

I do not think the company will be fined if they are shorting you on count, but not on weight.

If they are consistently short on count, I would write the company and complain.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 7th, 2014 at 5:18:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Usually net weight is the important figure and most states require each box to meet it not just the overwhelming number coming off the assembly line.
May 7th, 2014 at 5:26:33 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
You're probably right but I'm surprised what seems all the company are doing. I've never seen the number of servings be so wrong, excluding measuring cups of products I would never bother to check. I might start weighing them at the store just to satisfy the curiosity. I will contact both companies.

I have to add I'm not really a nit picker but I think it's intentional promising 9 and about 9 when not one box in months has had 9 since I've been counting.
May 7th, 2014 at 5:29:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
As a guess I wonder if certain seasons have larger or smaller peppers so as to make this happen?
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2014 at 6:13:07 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: AZDuffman
As a guess I wonder if certain seasons have larger or smaller peppers so as to make this happen?
Small peppers could be what's driving it. I imagine they cut them in 3 to make 3 since the pepper inside I'm pretty sure is just on one side. I was thinking maybe a small crop might be the reason if costs are high. I read something about limes being in short supply and the cartels in Mexico steal the truck loads then ransom them back making prices quadruple since last season. These might be suffering the same problems.

I realize they're following labeling laws and hiding behind them. One brand says about 3 servings, 3 per serving and the other says 3 servings but a serving is about 3. Innocently I take about 9 to mean 9 unless it's an accident being 8. 6 or 7, I never imagined since that's generous rounding.

Naturally they could sell, what 8.75 oz, and make it undoubtedly 9 poppers. Ah, but the lowest common denominator strikes again and if one company runs shady, the rest follow or perish.

Damn good stuff though and I ate the evidence for breakfast.
May 7th, 2014 at 6:48:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: 1nickelmiracle

I realize they're following labeling laws and hiding behind them. One brand says about 3 servings, 3 per serving and the other says 3 servings but a serving is about 3. Innocently I take about 9 to mean 9 unless it's an accident being 8. 6 or 7, I never imagined since that's generous rounding.

I saw them measuring out servings for potato chips on "Modern Marvels" once, they got it to within a gram or two. With this government you have to cover yourself left and right.

Quote:
Damn good stuff though and I ate the evidence for breakfast.

Breakfast? I needed a Tums(R) just reading that.....
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2014 at 7:02:14 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: AZDuffman
I saw them measuring out servings for potato chips on "Modern Marvels" once, they got it to within a gram or two. With this government you have to cover yourself left and right.

Breakfast? I needed a Tums(R) just reading that.....
As long as I drink quite a few cups of coffee throughout the day, it prevents heart burn. The days I don't have coffee and drink cola or nothing caffeine, I am again susceptible and pay the price.
May 7th, 2014 at 7:09:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
As long as I drink quite a few cups of coffee throughout the day, it prevents heart burn. The days I don't have coffee and drink cola or nothing caffeine, I am again susceptible and pay the price.

Just brings back memories of a day-trip to the Carlisle auto swap meet. I think I told this in the idiots and cars thread. We leave at about 6. Buddy who otherwise never got up before I swear 11 makes us stop for food right away, he can't wait for breakfast in 3 hours. Gets tortilla chips and hot salsa. He couldn't see the connection to his upset stomach an hour later.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>