Gay Marriage

May 15th, 2014 at 12:38:04 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
If you listen to the media, all blacks support gay marriage.

But here's a video of blacks in Harlem which shows that the media's depiction may not be so accurate:

Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 15th, 2014 at 2:29:28 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Beethoven

But here's a video of blacks in Harlem which shows that the media's depiction may not be so accurate:

If the media is saying that, and it's not my experience that they are (I don't doubt some statements can be found, but it's not a mainstream contention or conventional wisdom), it's quite inaccurate. As a voting bloc, Blacks had their biggest schism by far on supporting President Obama's re-election over this issue, when he made his statement about it in May 2012. Many of them remain opposed to his stance even now (and by "many", I'm talking millions), whether they voted for him or not. It was a HUGE issue, probably the biggest internal difficulty the President had within the base the entire campaign.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
May 15th, 2014 at 3:03:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

"Flipping a pancake." Now that is funny and I wish someone in the media had the guts to put it on the air.

Depending on who you talk to, male homosexuality is highest among blacks vs other races.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2014 at 8:12:59 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: AZDuffman

I don't know of laws that banned marriage between religions. Such laws would be mostly unneeded as to marry outside outside ones religion was a church, and not a state matter.

I hate to make it graphic, but perhaps it needs to be done. Think about it this way, a gay marriage cannot be properly consummated in any case. Not the case with any other example you are giving.

Here is an example of marriage being banned between religions:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/15/world/africa/sudan-christian-woman-apostasy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

There are only a few states which require consummation of marriage. For most states, you are married when the ceremony ends.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 15th, 2014 at 8:33:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/15/world/africa/sudan-christian-woman-apostasy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I wasn't aware Sudan was now a US State.

As to consummating the marriage, while there might not be a law requiring it, it is a generally accepted thing. Also if a marriage is not consummated it can easily be ruled invalid, annulled, or be grounds for divorce. IOW, a valid marriage requires consummation in spirit if not codified in law.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2014 at 8:40:41 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: beachbumbabs
If the media is saying that...
They don't say it overly, but it's implied. And if a black person does say something against gay marriage, they are roundly criticized in the media, and then they go on to "clarify" their remarks and state that they really don't oppose gay marriage at all and that their statements were misinterpreted.

I can't think of a single prominent black person in mainstream America who opposes gay marriage.

People keep trying to compare gay marriage to interracial marriage/interfaith marriage. But guess what? It's a false comparison.

Not all interracial and interfaith marriages should be legal. For example, I oppose both interracial gay marriage AND interfaith gay marriage.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 15th, 2014 at 8:54:18 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0

I oppose both interracial gay marriage AND interfaith gay marriage.

LOL!!
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
May 15th, 2014 at 11:22:52 AM permalink
Dalex64
I didn't realize we were limiting debate to US law. I thought we were talking about the one true universal definition of marriage.

"generally accepted" sounds a lot like the current public opinion that is leading to the legalization of gay marriage in the first place.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 15th, 2014 at 11:54:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I didn't realize we were limiting debate to US law. I thought we were talking about the one true universal definition of marriage.

As we are a USA based forum and the tone of the discussion has been about USA society with a smattering of Canadian I would have thought that would stand out.

Quote:
"generally accepted" sounds a lot like the current public opinion that is leading to the legalization of gay marriage in the first place.

Not really. Gay marriage has failed most times it has been put to a vote. And you will get nowhere near the people that say gay marriage is legit compared to a marriage needing to be consummated to be legit. At least half of the "support" for gay marriage is people buying the crying kid at the checkout a candy bar because they are tired of listening to it. Another good bit comes from supporters wanting to be "hip" and with the crowd. Just more of people binging on the junk food that is pop culture.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2014 at 2:42:50 PM permalink
Dalex64
The anti-gay marriage arguments keep being shot down, though.

One reason - "marriage has always been between one man and one woman"

This is false. In the United States, for a period of over about 50 years, the Mormons practiced plural marriage.

and "the definition of marriage has never changed" - The first law defining marriage as between one man and one woman wasn't passed until 1973.

this was the first time, from what I can tell, that a law was passed preventing people of the same sex from being married. Since US law permits you to do things unless prohibited by law, before then it looks like gay marriage was legal, though never practiced. I believe that law was passed because gays tried to get married.

Gays can't consummate a marriage. That is true, depending on your definition of consummate, and it also isn't a requirement that be done in most states. If anything, the consummating issue is used for determining whether or not a marriage can be annulled, not whether or not one can happen.

Gays can't propagate the species. again true. and again, no law requiring an agreement to propagate in order to get married.

Does all of that give gays the constitutional right to be married? I don't know, but I haven't seen a legal argument as to why not yet. What I have seen is a lot of grasping at straws.

I'm done talking about this for a while. Please don't take my silence to imply that I am conceding the discussion, I've just said all I have to say.