Gay Marriage

May 15th, 2014 at 2:50:21 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: Dalex64
In the United States, for a period of over about 50 years, the Mormons practiced plural marriage.
Exactly, this is why the gay marriage argument keeps getting shot down.

Gays only want THEIR definition of marriage to be the law of the land, and they have no problem discriminating against polygamists (who just want the same rights as gays).

So I wish gays would stop preaching about "marriage EQUALITY" when, in fact, they don't want equality at all.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 15th, 2014 at 2:54:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

Since US law permits you to do things unless prohibited by law, before then it looks like gay marriage was legal, though never practiced. I believe that law was passed because gays tried to get married.

That is not exactly true in this case. When a state sanctions marriage you can't just "do what you want." Perhaps you need to look up and understand "spirit of the law." This means that when you apply for a marriage license it will have entries for "bride" and "groom" or sometimes "male" and "female." It was never intended for two people of the same sex, that was never in the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law.

Quote:
Gays can't consummate a marriage. That is true, depending on your definition of consummate, and it also isn't a requirement that be done in most states. If anything, the consummating issue is used for determining whether or not a marriage can be annulled, not whether or not one can happen.

Consummation is having sexual intercourse. Two people of the same sex cannot do this. An annulled marriage is by definition a "defective" marriage.

Quote:
Does all of that give gays the constitutional right to be married? I don't know, but I haven't seen a legal argument as to why not yet. What I have seen is a lot of grasping at straws.

The "grasping at straws" is all on the pro-gay marriage side. The problem is we have a population that is stuck on stupid and afraid to see and state the obvious, marriage was always supposed to be about one man and one woman.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2014 at 3:23:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Beethoven
Exactly, this is why the gay marriage argument keeps getting shot down.

Yes. It's the proverbial can of worms. Give new
rights to one group and 14 other groups will
pop up wanting their new rights. And they'd
be correct to do so.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 15th, 2014 at 4:28:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
The "grasping at straws" is all on the pro-gay marriage side. The problem is we have a population that is stuck on stupid and afraid to see and state the obvious, marriage was always supposed to be about one man and one woman.

Your position is very nanny state concerning personal liberty and private acts between consenting adults. Conservatives usually want to be able to decide if they are harming themselves and not have a nanny state do it especially inside the home between consenting adults.

How much more personal interference can you get than getting inside someone's relationship.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2014 at 4:40:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Your position is very nanny state concerning personal liberty and private acts between consenting adults. Conservatives usually want to be able to decide if they are harming themselves and not have a nanny state do it especially inside the home between consenting adults.

How much more personal interference can you get than getting inside someone's relationship.

Who is talking about interfering with someone's relationship? The point is that marriage was designed to be one man and one woman, how is limiting it to that "nanny state?"
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2014 at 5:30:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Who is talking about interfering with someone's relationship? The point is that marriage was designed to be one man and one woman, how is limiting it to that "nanny state?"

"limiting" is the key word. Why do you need to limit it between consenting adults. Why don't you let them apply to state for a marriage instead of trying to prevent it?

(I'm not a liberal opposed to polygamy. I think Boymimbo is, if I remember correctly. Not that I think it is good. I actually think the interjection of religion and people saying God endorses it gets more people believing in it than would normally. Then there is trend to ignore age restrictions and go for young girls, but that can be separate issue in and of itself. Anyway. And while you could marry your toaster, since it causes other problems, can you write a will leaving everything for a toaster when you die. Courts will have reasons to keep throwing out moronic arguments for marrying things.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2014 at 6:09:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
"limiting" is the key word. Why do you need to limit it between consenting adults. Why don't you let them apply to state for a marriage instead of trying to prevent it?

Because it was physically, psyiologically, and compatibly designed for one man and one woman. Not two friends of the same sex.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2014 at 6:11:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

You'll never win this argument with a lib.
To them, living means having whatever
they want, whenever they want it. Drugs,
Gay marriage, plural marriage, 'free'
healthcare, it's all about feeling good
all the time They're spoiled brats, essentially.
Of course they don't like guns, so you
shouldn't be able to get one because they
say so.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 15th, 2014 at 6:21:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Because it was physically, psyiologically, and compatibly designed for one man and one woman. Not two friends of the same sex.

So... why is that so much your business anyway?

Why that? If it is for harm, where is the principle of deciding what other people get married under state law your business so much? I might decide my business may be gun restrictions for harm reasons? But I am a liberal, I am likely to weigh liberty and harm carefully anyway. I don't understand how it fits your political leanings towards liberty. Especially this.
May 15th, 2014 at 6:25:52 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: Evenbob
You'll never win this argument with a lib.
To them, living means having whatever
they want, whenever they want it. Drugs,
Gay marriage, plural marriage, 'free'
healthcare, it's all about feeling good
all the time They're spoiled brats, essentially.
Of course they don't like guns, so you
shouldn't be able to get one because they
say so.
+100
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron