Gay Marriage

Page 4 of 51<1234567>Last »
May 7th, 2014 at 5:31:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Ace was fine and dandy pre-2010 when NY adopted the no-fault divorce!

I was talking about the 40's and 50's.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 7th, 2014 at 5:34:05 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: rxwine
Like tea party.

...but not like "tangent". lol
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 7th, 2014 at 5:36:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I see your standard of winning an argument is the last word wins.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 7th, 2014 at 5:42:37 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Dalex64
I see your standard of winning an argument is the last word wins.

Nope, the best argument wins. Unfortunately, your side has problems finding one.
May 7th, 2014 at 5:51:38 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Well, it is difficult to tell what you are going to argue.

Are you saying the definition of marriage has never changed, and that is the basis of why it should not be changed now?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 8th, 2014 at 4:17:10 AM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Dalex64
Well, it is difficult to tell what you are going to argue.
What's so difficult about it? I clearly stated everything I said.
May 8th, 2014 at 6:44:26 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Why do you give guys like this serious attention? It's one of the most gorked arguments one could make against gay marriage. There are plenty one could make, from word definition to religious sanctity to familial effects to the science of nature. But we give credence to the argument of being able to marry a computer or a car or a toaster why?

It's the worst kind of argument. It's a non argument. I find zero difference between the guys who use the "marry a toaster" argument and the people who say "well, if you want your AR, then why can't I have my thermonuclear device?"

No difference whatsoever.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 8th, 2014 at 7:06:33 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
It's a target of opportunity, reductio ad absurdam in effect. I believe much of it stems from the frustrations at the efforts of our bumbling, self-serving legislators and jurists at every level to enact non-majority laws, policies and decisions and send us the bill for something we don't want. No pun or slight) intended but we also are very tired of getting all this stuff in the face 24/7.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
May 8th, 2014 at 7:25:20 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: chickenman
It's a target of opportunity, reductio ad absurdam in effect..

I know the term and the tactic. I guess my point is "why bother"?

Devolving into absurdity is above the intelligence of we posters. Yes, we use it as a counter when a debate has come of the rails. We use it to point out "hey, you're being an ass and what your saying is outside of the spirit of the debate". So we become an ass in turn to show "see, this is stupid". But a proper debate cannot start off with absurdity. Otherwise it's just an absurd debate, and on this topic, there are many here who can put on a very good, well thought out discussion.

Guys like this just remind me of all the Facebook whackos that aren't worth the time to read their posts. The fringe idiots who don't have the capacity to battle wits and instead put you in a position to defend an impossible case. It's unfair, I guess, and I hate it. I group it with the thermonuclear arguers, the ones that argue that because a priest touched a boy that all of Catholicism is evil, the ones that argue that because someone died once that something needs to be banned, the ones that argue if you're against "whatever" that you are a complete racist, bigoted, evil spirited hate monger because, well, of course there's no other option!

Polygamy resulting from legalized gay marriage? That's an interesting argument. Mock fear that people can then marry their Xbox or the fish they have in their home tank? That's just dumb.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 8th, 2014 at 2:15:47 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Face
I know the term and the tactic. I guess my point is "why bother"?

I agree, it would be a waste of time for the guy to go to umpteen internet websites and tell everyone that he's going to marry his computer, but he's not doing that. Instead, he's going through the court system. And it's brilliant. Why? Because 90%+ of gay marriage supporters use the ridiculous argument that "you should be able to marry whoever you love". Or that it's all about "equality". One of the great things about this guy's case is that he will end up forcing gay marriage supporters to give up lame, phony arguments like these.
Page 4 of 51<1234567>Last »