Gay Marriage

May 8th, 2014 at 9:45:38 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Beethoven
Do you really think it's realistic to expect no "sniping" in the "Controversial Topics" section????? You may want to make use of the 'Block' feature, my friend.

I wish you would have quoted my subsequent post where I said:

"...if gays can arbitrarily change the definition of marriage to suit them, then why can't the Florida guy do the same?"

Gays don't want equality at all. They want to be the only ones who are allowed to change definitions of words.

Quote: boymimbo
Support for man-computer marriage is mostly predicated on the ability to make decisions and receive benefits that a male-female marriage allows under various laws across the land. For me, if Rick loves his computer and wants to have a life-long partnership, from a government standpoint, why should that be any different than my marriage to Jennifer?

What right does the government have to balk at those rights between any loving man-computer union just because they happen to be man-computer. And don't give me the crap that it isn't natural, because there is a segment of the population who loves computers, be it genetically or through environmental influences.
Fixed!

AT this point in time, how does one give money to a computer, assign a computer the rights to make decisions on a person's life, and all of the other wonderful things that only a human (at this time) can provide? Why do I feel like I'm feeding someone?
May 8th, 2014 at 10:19:22 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
AT this point in time, how does one give money to a computer, assign a computer the rights to make decisions on a person's life, and all of the other wonderful things that only a human (at this time) can provide?
So is it your position that marriages should be annulled for people who are in comas since they can't do "all of the other wonderful things that a human can provide"??? *facepalm*

Why do I feel like I'm feeding someone?
Why do I think that you're eating right now?
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 8th, 2014 at 10:55:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think you need to be telling that to the guy who continually uses the word "troll" in his messages to me.

"Trolling" not "troll". I ask for an example to prove your claim that you are not making a strawman argument, and since you neither provided one, and insisted I was wrong more than once, I conclude maybe you're trolling. That's how that goes.

I will give you a pass on whatever definition you're abusing of "continually."

However, to wit, the only ban I ever received on the other site and here was for calling you a troll. I'm still proud of that.

Let's see, change the subject, call tangent, say you meant something else. Facepalm? Which way will he go? You do more than that, but that's just some of it. Yeah, why would anyone think it's trolling? Heh.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 8th, 2014 at 11:33:38 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: rxwine
However, to wit, the only ban I ever received on the other site and here was for calling you a troll. I'm still proud of that.
It's so hilarious that a random person on an internet forum can get into your head and mess with you like that. In fact, I bet you're clenching your fists right now screaming, "Damn, how do I get him back this time!" LOL!! :D
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 8th, 2014 at 11:33:46 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I suggest an intelligent debate abandoning the computer marriage nonsense.

The only intelligent debate is constitutionality.
May 8th, 2014 at 11:43:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It's so hilarious that a random person on an internet forum can get into your head and mess with you like that. In fact, I bet you're clenching your fists right now screaming, "Damn, how do I get him back this time!" LOL!! :D

Well no.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 9th, 2014 at 12:10:08 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I gotta tell ya, I'm really sick of all this Gay
crap. I mean really, who gives a damn. I've
been dealing with Gay people for 35 years.
First in the bar, then in the antique business.

They aren't aliens from outer space, they're
just guys who don't like women as sexual
partners. Who cares. Are women all that
great as mates? I don't think so. Is a guy
who acts like a woman all that great as
a mate? Think about it..

That's what it comes down to. Gay men
have more female in them than male.
Science has proven it. Oh boy. You can
have a real pain in the ass woman, or
a guy who acts like one. Gee, somebody
pinch me..

Thanks, god. I think I'll marry my dog next
time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 9th, 2014 at 3:57:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
He thinks (and correct me if I'm wrong, AZD) that it's not the stable family foundation that a hetero couple supplies. That it's unnatural in a scientific sense. And that most of the hubbub is mostly a sort of PC power grab. None of this is earth shattering or convincing, but it stuck with me. It wasn't fluffed up or sensationalized, it was simply honest - "this is what I believe".

That is the gist of my position. Thanks so much for the kind words. And yes, I am simple in that I believe what I believe and that is the end of it. I hate PC. In fact, the silver lining in my career being so bumpy the past few years is I have not had to change myself to fit in to the prevailing corporate culture. When you know you are there to solve an acute problem but your chances of moving up are minimal it is strangely liberating. Like reading about those mob-associates who knew they would never be made so they didn't have to obey all the crazy traditions.

Quote:
It completely changed how I look at the debate. Because, yeah, I no longer think the "equal rights" argument is technically true. As much as I hate to admit it, yeah, gays do have equal rights. As the right always says, they're free to marry anyone of the opposite sex they want. They do want special rights, by definition. That is something he actually changed in my head. Of course, I now think they should get these "special rights", and I still think gay marriage should be legal (more truthfully, I think it shouldn't even be a political issue). But I am changed because of his argument. I am changed because he didn't obfuscate the debate with the bullshit games of rhetoric and strawman silliness. He just told it like it is.

Thanks again for the kind words, and I am glad to hear that while I may not have convinced you to my side I at least played a part in moving your reasoning from emotional to logical. I used to think on issues more emotionally, but I find that it is true that an emotional argument is simply a weak one. As to your statement about "I think they should get these special rights!" well I love it! I don't agree, but I would have more respect for the gay marriage movement if they came right out and said, "hey, we want to change the definition of marriage-we want special rights because we have different needs and wants!" Well, I wouldn't like it but I would respect it. But when they say "our relationship is no different than a hetero relationship" well, sorry. It is and when a person says that to me it disqualifies anything else they say on the matter.

Sheeese, now I am running late for work........
The President is a fink.
May 9th, 2014 at 5:27:14 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
So is it your position that marriages should be annulled for people who are in comas since they can't do "all of the other wonderful things that a human can provide"??? *facepalm*

First, I've never seen or heard of someone in a coma getting married, and in most places, grounds for annulment is not being of sound mind. And, I know of married people who have a very difficult time when their partners are incapacitated, and sometimes (alot of the time) divorces are being sought because the medical calamity is too much for the partner to take.

The point is that for the same reason you can't marry a 13 year old, you can't marry a dog (or any other animal, for that matter), and you can't marry an object (including a computer). The other party has to permit the marriage and to be able to understand the rights and responsibilities thereof (or at least capable of).

We can get into the slippery slope of polygamy, but once again, the STATE definition of marriage (not the church's) to me should be "the person who is given the various rights and benefits of being one's partner". There is no reason why that shouldn't exclude same sex.

Leave it to the various religious authorities to push "marriage between a man and woman" and keep the state out of it.

And for those who believe that gay marriage is pushing at the moral foundation of your nation, there are plenty of other things destroying your nation too, and I don't think that the 4% "gay content" is what is ruining the moral fabric of America. Is America so weak that 4% can take down the other 96%?
May 9th, 2014 at 5:29:35 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Personal tragedy no doubt, similar to when he divorced the woman in 1986. But my position on gay marriage is unchanged: bring it on. Far be it from me to deny the pain and expense of divorce to those who want it...
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!