No votes (0%)
1 vote (14.28%)
3 votes (42.85%)

7 members have voted

May 7th, 2014 at 12:52:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
This thread is inspired by the I Can't Believe This Happened To Me!!! DO I NEED A LAWYER?? thread.

About four years ago I was waiting to meet a friend in the patio area of the Sambalatte Coffee Shop in the Boca Park shopping center in Las Vegas. It was a sunny and windy day. Every table had an open umbrella, for the purposes of shade.

While I was reading a book a gust of wind came, uplifted the umbrella, and the heavy pole slammed me right in the forehead. It hurt, but no blood was drawn and I don't think it left a significant mark. Then I put the umbrella back in its stand, lest it hurt somebody else flying through the parking lot. Right after this happened I asked for the manager and reported the incident. I phrased it not as a complaint but as a warning this could easily happen again and a small child, who sometimes tag along with their parents, could be seriously injured. Simply bolting the umbrellas into the stand was all that needed to be done.

However, the manager just shrugged and said "sorry," toned as if I was making up a story to shake him down for a free coffee. A few months later I returned there and checked if the umbrellas were secured to the table. They were not.

The question for the poll is what would you have done in my shoes?

By the way I specifically include the name of the coffee shop, as they should at least get some shame over this.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 7th, 2014 at 12:59:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I'd have done what you did. You did both your fiduciary duty (in a "manly" and not "legal" sense") as well as good deed for the day and informed the management. What they do after that is their own issue. Realistically, low level managers get loads of comments like this while at the same time have next to zero say in the matter.
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2014 at 1:18:44 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Same. If I believed something was more dangerous than the example, I would more likely follow up with it.
May 7th, 2014 at 1:20:45 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Same. If I believed something was more dangerous than the example, I would more likely follow up with it.
Speaking with an employee would most likely be the most involved I would be in most circumstances.
May 7th, 2014 at 3:10:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I would have left the umbrella where it was
and gotten the manager and showed him the
mark on my forehead and tell him I wanted
medical attention and what was he going to
do about it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 7th, 2014 at 3:17:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I would have left the umbrella where it was
and gotten the manager and showed him the
mark on my forehead and tell him I wanted
medical attention and what was he going to
do about it.

BETTER CALL SAUL!
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2014 at 4:46:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Beethoven
EDIT: Wizard, is it possible to delete this short post of mine? I just realized that I'm getting close to my posting limit for new members, so I guess I should be posting a little more sparingly until my 30 days are up. :)

I think once you click "post" it counts towards your quota, and deleting the post doesn't make any difference.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 8th, 2014 at 11:02:12 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
I'd have done what you did. You did both your fiduciary duty (in a "manly" and not "legal" sense") as well as good deed for the day and informed the management..

This, probably. I often wonder what makes people as different as they are. I've been "injured" plenty in public and private, whether it was a loose step or an errant nail or screw, and never once has it crossed my mind to sue or otherwise receive compensation. Actually, exactly ONE TIME. Right after I got my new bike, a gas attendant washed my windscreen. As it was plastic and not glass, it scratched the ever loving hell out of it. I approached management and asked if the attendant would get in trouble if I pursued a claim. They said yes, and I said nevermind.

If I trip over something out of place, I put it back. If I can't fix it myself, I just tell someone. Unless it's a malicious act or some serious, next level negligence, I can't have an emotional reaction that makes me think I deserve compensation.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 8th, 2014 at 11:52:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
This, probably. I often wonder what makes people as different as they are. I've been "injured" plenty in public and private, whether it was a loose step or an errant nail or screw, and never once has it crossed my mind to sue or otherwise receive compensation. Actually, exactly ONE TIME. Right after I got my new bike, a gas attendant washed my windscreen. As it was plastic and not glass, it scratched the ever loving hell out of it. I approached management and asked if the attendant would get in trouble if I pursued a claim. They said yes, and I said nevermind.

If I trip over something out of place, I put it back. If I can't fix it myself, I just tell someone. Unless it's a malicious act or some serious, next level negligence, I can't have an emotional reaction that makes me think I deserve compensation.

Some people are raised that you solve your own problems and "get over it" if a small accident happens that is shall we say "no harm no foul." IOW, if you are even partially at fault you realize it is not the wold's job to take care of you.

Now there are other groups of people who expect to be taken care of. Some of that group are simply lazy, some are scammers, and some are just the same type that always expends more effort explaining why a job doesn't need to be done than to simply do it.

People with a good work ethic almost never fall into the later group. But we sadly are an endangered species.
The President is a fink.
May 8th, 2014 at 12:32:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Some people are raised that you solve your own problems and "get over it" if a small accident happens that is shall we say "no harm no foul." .

I used to have that attitude, then my wife
had a brick and mortar business for 15 years
and was sued 3 times for things way less than
getting hit in the head with an umbrella.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 212>