Atheist TV Channel, what will they program?

Page 1 of 41234>
May 9th, 2014 at 9:25:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
An all-atheist TV Channel is starting up.

It does make me wonder what they will fill programming with. He has a very condescending attitude about non-atheists and science if you read his quotes. My thought is most programming is already secular with no religious theme. Does anyone really want to hear a science program where they add an atheist bent to it?

I knew an atheist who sat on the board of his church. But other than that type, I mean who is going to care? OTOH a Roku channel is cheap to program so they can have at it.
The President is a fink.
May 9th, 2014 at 10:05:28 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: AZDuffman
My thought is most programming is already secular with no religious theme.
+1

It will be no different than any of the other umpteen (liberal) channels out there!
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 13th, 2014 at 12:05:56 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Do atheists have so much in common to need their own channel when the public wants secular programming anyways? Sounds stupid to me.
May 13th, 2014 at 8:14:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
These aren't atheists, they're radicals. People who don't
believe in something don't make a cause celeb out
of it. I don't think Bigfoot exists, and I don't seek out
others who don't. Why would I.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 13th, 2014 at 8:37:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
These aren't atheists, they're radicals. People who don't
believe in something don't make a cause celeb out
of it. I don't think Bigfoot exists, and I don't seek out
others who don't. Why would I.

Bigfoot isn't out proselytizing, promoting himself, asking for followers and donations; that's why there's no serious anti-bigfoot groups. That said, I see the major advantage knowing there is no chance any of the regular Christmas programming will be on in December, and all the specials and rerun movies if I turned to that channel. Not necessarily worth a subscription though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 14th, 2014 at 5:35:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Bigfoot isn't out proselytizing, promoting himself, asking for followers and donations; that's why there's no serious anti-bigfoot groups.

There is a lot of proselytizing and asking for donations on secular TV? I've never seen this on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, History, Discovery, Food Network, Spike..............

What mainstream channels are you seeing this on?
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2014 at 7:38:16 AM permalink
rxwine
There is a lot of proselytizing and asking for donations on secular TV? I've never seen this on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, History, Discovery, Food Network, Spike..............

What mainstream channels are you seeing this on?

I didn't necessarily say mainstream, but they are everywhere.

Quote:
3 ABN (Three Angels Broadcasting Network) is a 24-hour Christian Television Network based in West Frankfort, Illinois. 3ABN offers divorce recovery programs, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, cooking and health programs, programs that deal with children and family issues, as well as a variety of inspirational themes from the Bible for children and adults.
USA .ABN Sat 1

>
ABN Sat or Aramaic Broadcasting Network is a non-denominational ministry committed to presenting the Word of God and its transforming message of Jesus Christ to Arabic, Aramaic, Kurdish and English-speaking people worldwide through media. The channel is based in Walled Lake, Michigan.
USA .Al Karma TV

>
Al Karma TV is an Arabic Christian TV station based in Seal Beach, California. Its mission is to reach out to all Arabs with the saving message of the Gospel.
USA .ALHorreya TV

>
ALHorreya TV is an International religious TV network based in Santa Ana, California. It has its roots in the Nepttha Coptic church.
USA .Almavison

>
Almavision is a Hispanic Christian TV network (Almavision Group Network, based in Santa Ana, California. It was launched in 2002.
USA .Amazing Facts

>
Amazing Facts is a ministry dedicated to sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ and the three angels messages of Revelation 14 to the entire world through television, radio, literature, live Bible and prophecy events, the Internet, and evangelism training.
USA .BYU TV Global

>
BYU TV is a Christian TV Channel from the Brigham Young University in Provo Utah. The University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
USA .CBN Espanol

>
CBN (Christian Broadcasting Network) Espanol is an internet channel that connects Latinos all over the world with people from their cultures and countries of origin. The Spanish language programs will inspire, inform, entertain and motivate seekers of spiritual content.
USA .CBN Live

>
CBN (Christian Broadcasting Network) offers a variety of inspirational shows from CBN. Containing segments from The 700 Club, CBN News, The 700 Club Interactive and more, CBN TV represents an online network of high-quality Christian entertainment and information.
USA .ChurchChannel

>
In 2002 Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), the world's largest religious broadcaster, launched the Church Channel to connect this massive segment of viewers with churches and ministries that produce top-notch televised services and programs.
USA .CTNi

>
CTN International is Christian TV network based in West Palm Beach, Florida. CTNi is commited to bringing positive Christian programming.
USA .CTVN (Cornerstone)

>
The Cornerstone TeleVision Network is a non-commercial Christian broadcast and satellite television network based in Wall, Pennsylvania, United States. It was founded in 1979 by Russ Bixler. Programming includes preachers, teachers, international leaders, movies, documentaries, music, and holiday specials.
USA .CYC

>
Christian Youth Channel - CYC aka Coptic Youth Channel, is a free-to-air English Coptic Orthodox Channel. CYC operates studios in Queens, NY, Orlando, FL and Clear Water, FL.
USA .Daystar

>
Daystar is an American evangelical Christian-based religious broadcast television network, that is owned by Word of God Fellowship. Daystar broadcasts programs by ministers and speakers from around the world. Most broadcasts are from groups and individuals aligned with various charismatic, Pentecostal, and prosperity theology movements.
USA .EWTN

>
EWTN or The Eternal Word Television Network is an American television network, which presents Catholic-themed programming. It was founded by Mother Mary Angelica of the Annunciation in 1980. It is based in Irondale, Alabama.
USA .Familia TV

>
Familia TV is an Inspirational Spanish speaking Network, based in Porter, Texas. It broadcasts programming designed to meet the wide variety of cultural and denominational backgrounds within the Hispanic Community.
USA .GLC

>
GLC or God's Learning Channel is a Christian TV channel. It's based in Odessa Texas. God's Learning Channel is a satellite network dedicated to bringing the gospel of the kingdom into the entire world and teaching everyone about the Torah and the true roots of Christianity. It was founded in 1982 by Al and Tommie Cooper.
USA .His Channel

>
The Conservative Christian Network. Programming consist of Church and bible study, talk and interviews, movies and documentaries.
USA .Hope Channel - English

>
Hope TV is the official television network of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It offers programs on wholistic Christian living and focuses of faith, health, relationships, and community.
USA .Hope Channel - Spanish

>
Hope TV is the official television network of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It offers programs on wholistic Christian living and focuses of faith, health, relationships, and community.
USA .Iglesia Jemir

>
Iglesia Jemir is a Hispanic Christian TV channel based in Dallas, Texas. It was founded in 1993. Iglesia Jemir is a church in which members worship power and miracles every day of the year.
USA .JCTV

>
JUCE TV or JCTV is a Christian youth network. Its designed for the 13-30 age group. Among other things it offers Christ centered music videos with positive messages and relevant issue driven talk shows.
USA .Jesus Live Network

>
JESUS LIVE NETWORK was created to proclaim Jesus' Word, Purpose, and Power. It is an online Television Network broadcasting on over 40 Networks and has a Roku Television Channel. Channels have been created for Ministries, Music, Movies, Youth, and more. They are broadcast and Video-on-Demand pages for selective viewing.
USA .KSCE TV

>
KSCE channel 38 is a non-commercial non-profit Christian TV channel based in El Paso, Texas. It was founded in 1989.
USA .KSCE VIDA (español)

>
KSCE VIDA, Channel 38 is a Christian TV channel in El Paso, Texas. It provides programming based on the Bible as an uplifting display option for Christians and their families.
USA .Liberty Channel

>
Liberty University is the largest privatly owned, nonprofit university in the nation, the largest university in Virginia, and the largest Christian university in the world. It operates its own TV channel.
USA .LiveZone Television

>
LifeZone Television is a Christian television station that offers Christian and inspirational programming that appeal to Christians of various denominations. The channel is based in Saint Albans, New York.
USA .LLBN TV

>
LLBN TV or Loma Linda Broadcasting Network is a non-profit, Christian broadcasting network that has been dedicated to sharing Christ and changing lives since 1996.
USA .TBN

>
TBN is the world's largest religious network and America's most watched faith channel. TBN offers 24 hours of commercial-free inspirational programming that appeal to people in a wide variety of Protestant, Catholic and Messianic Jewish denominations. TBN is located in Santa Ana.
USA .TBN Enlace

>
TBN Enlace is an American Christian-based broadcast television network. It provides Christian programming to the Hispanic community. The network features culturally relevant, faith-based programming to Hispanics of all age groups. Enlace's primary headquarters are in San José, Costa Rica.
USA .TCT

>
Christian TV channel. TCT offers exclusive programming that is relevant for today's generations, addressing topics and issues that affect our everyday lives. Engaging the whole family with an array of fresh and relevant program choices.
USA .Telegracia

>
Telegracia is a Christian TV channel (spanish language) from Miami. It is providing Christian Education, News and Information. Telegracia Internacional produces and broadcasts children's educational programs, music and entertainment shows and news designed to appeal to Spanish speaking Christians.
USA .The Word Network

>
The Word Network is a a 24 hour Christian Television Network, based in Southfield Michigan. The WORD Network is the undisputed source for Urban Ministries and Gospel.
USA (AL-CA) .Shepherds Chapel

>
The Shepherd's Chapel is a Christian church and broadcast facility based in Gravette, Arkansas. It mainly broadcasts one-hour televised Bible studies.
USA (AL-CA) .SonShine Satellite Network

>
SonShine Satellite Network is a Christian TV channel based in Talladega County, Alabama.
USA (CO-HI) .CTN

>
CTN or Christian Television Network is a Christian TV station based in Largo, Florida. CTN was Florida's first Christian television station signed on the air in 1979. CTN's offers diversified programs which feature a wide variety of inspirational programming.
USA (CO-HI) .CTN - WHBR

>
CTN - WHBR is a Christian Television Network, based in Pensacola, Florida. It provides Christ centered, inspirational family programming.
USA (CO-HI) .Superchannel WACX

>
SuperChannel WACX-DT 55 Leesburg-Orlando, Florida is a full power commercial broadcast station. SuperChannel is Orlando's only commercial Christian independent TV station.
USA (ID-MA) .Catholic TV

>
CatholicTV is a beacon of Hope and a unique Herald of the simple, yet profound Message of Jesus Christ. Through relevant, inspiring and prayerful programming Catholic TV educates, teaching the Wisdom of God in the Catholic Tradition, endeavoring to move people of all ages, cultures and attitudes toward the Fullness of Life.
USA (MI-NY) .MNN Spirit

>
MNN's Spirit Channel is provided by the Manhattan's Public Access Television (New York). Founded in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is Manhattan's free, public access cable network. MNN operates two media production and education facilities in Manhattan.
USA (NC-TN) .GBN TV

>
GBN (The Gospel Broadcasting Network) is a Christian satellite broadcast network and is located in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
USA (NC-TN) .GEB

>
Christian Network broadcasting from the campus of Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma. GEB America is focusing on helping the 34 million Baby Boomers of faith to live well Spirit, Mind and Body.
USA (NC-TN) .Spirit Television

>
Spirit Television is a Christian TV channel based in Westerville, Ohio.
USA (TX-WY) .House of Refuge

>
House of Refuge is a religious TV channel.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 14th, 2014 at 7:59:44 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
That said, I see the major advantage knowing there is no chance any of the regular Christmas programming will be on in December, and all the specials and rerun movies if I turned to that channel. Not necessarily worth a subscription though.

Ooh, great point. Not hearing Xmas music in October would be well worth any subscription cost =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 14th, 2014 at 9:23:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I didn't necessarily say mainstream, but they are everywhere.

Well we are kind of talking mainstream. Nobody is denying there are religious channels, but if you do not want that type of programming they are easily avoided. Just as one can avoid channels on sports, food, gays, and Oprah. What the issue was is what is this atheist channel's niche? If they are going to be about atheism as an issue they they have in fact become the religious channels they hate.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2014 at 11:22:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Well we are kind of talking mainstream. Nobody is denying there are religious channels, but if you do not want that type of programming they are easily avoided. Just as one can avoid channels on sports, food, gays, and Oprah. What the issue was is what is this atheist channel's niche? If they are going to be about atheism as an issue they they have in fact become the religious channels they hate.

As far as I'm concerned they could call it "The Critical Thinking Channel". Focusing on science is too narrow. So you include beliefs.

What I was saying with Bigfoot, is there is not bigfoot agenda anywhere close in size to numbers involved in religious agenda. (see all those channels above) Religious agenda is mentioned by religions themselves openly. I've never been approached for conversion by a Bigfoot enthusiast. I don't hear Bigfoot music on the muzak in October- December. People don't ask me for donations ever. I don't regularly hear Bigfoot agenda said as if it is truth, because there are so few of them.

If people still wonder why some atheists might want to make a splash against all that, I can't explain it.

FrGamble may show up to say there is critical thinking in Religion, and there is if it didn't encompass so many beliefs other than speculation in general ideas, -- or things critical thinking and science can actually address to some extent. But for instance, believing in the resurrection poses great challenges for proof in any kind evidence way that is satisfactory to meet what is claimed. There is a heck of a lot more than just that idea claimed. The easiest part is claiming god might exist. Then it gets really tough for a whole bunch of other claims.

Bigfoot can be discussed on a critical thinking channel. Is the investigation using a scientific method. Do the claims for proof hold up to scrutiny. Do what people hold as beliefs resemble non critical beliefs or fallicious logic.

(Said nothing about changing the channel; am saying why people might desire to do this)
Page 1 of 41234>