Big tablet

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
April 20th, 2015 at 8:21:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
What I'm sure of is I really, really need at least 4 GB RAM.

There are increasing stories about Android and Chrome being merged.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2015/03/31/google_is_updating_its_user_interface_to_make_chrome_os_more_like_android.html

In general, it seems to me that it is very expensive to get a tablet with a good mouse and keypad. It seems like most people need a good "all-in-one" computer that doesn't weigh very much. You can put it in different locations in your house or throw it in your car and take it to a nearby location. But when you really want to travel on a plane, just get something where emphasis is on liightweight, and struggle through the virtual keyboard.
April 21st, 2015 at 6:37:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
In general, it seems to me that it is very expensive to get a tablet with a good mouse and keypad.

For my next trick I'm thinking about getting a Surface Pro 4 (when it's out) with a docking station to replace 1) the desktop PC, 2) the laptop and 3 the tablet. the drawback is the obvious old saw about eggs and baskets.

If Microsoft had a devoted fan base (ie fanatical cult) like Apple, I'd wait for the Pro 4 to be released, then snap a used Pro3 for peanuts from a fan eager to get the latest release.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 24th, 2015 at 7:00:22 AM permalink
Nareed
I saw a nice HP running Windows and with an SSD, but it has a Celeron processor. I'm not sure about that. What I'm sure of is I really, really need at least 4 GB RAM.

I've almost made up my mind to go for the HP. I just want to see it run. the powerful reason is money. It goes for about $350 with keyboard and ports, whereas the Surface 3 without the keyboard cover will cost me $600. Besides, it's not as if the S3 will be nearly twice as good. A lot of the price lies in the materials. At the end of the day I don't much care whether the computer lives inside a plastic case or a burnished metal one.

I envision right now using it as a laptop replacement, and taking it to bed for late night/early morning web browsing as needed. the one I'll carry around everywhere will be the old Nexus 7 (at least until I get a bigger cell phone...) It's amazing how much I use it when I'm cooking.
April 27th, 2015 at 10:58:33 AM permalink
Nareed
So in the end and sparing a rather pointless and tedious story, I got an Asus laptop with 4 GB RAM running Win8. Yes, Win8. Imagine that. In my defense, the Asus does NOT have a touch screen ;)

First order of business is to install Start8, or as I call it "Windows for Windows 8(.1)." But before that I need to upgrade to Win 8.1. And before that I must download all Win8 updates.

I expect to be done sometime next week.
April 28th, 2015 at 6:49:44 AM permalink
Nareed
I expect to be done sometime next week.

I was so optimistic!

the laptop works fine. But 1) Windows Store begins the download of Win8.1 and gets stuck half-way, 2) Windows Update simply stays stuck waiting for the download, 3) the WiFi works perfectly well otherwise (browsers, downloads, etc).

I think I'll try again Friday while I begin packing. If I can't make it work then, I'll just install Start8 and try to get Win8.1 after I come back. Really with Start8 it doesn't matter which version of Windows hell is running. But Win8.1 is needed to get the upgrade to Win10 (aka Windows Apology Edition) later on. I thought this can be a warranty issue. But if I take it to the store to cash in on the warranty, it will take too long for them to get it back to me, and the whole point was to take it on my trip so I can write.

PS why does the spell checker insists it's either Wi-Fi or Wi Fi but not WiFi?
April 29th, 2015 at 6:38:11 AM permalink
Nareed
It worked yesterday. First the umpteen win8 updates came down, then Windows Store condescended to install the Win8.1 upgrade.

So the new laptop went from having a non-operational OS to having.... a different non-operational OS. But at least it now has the latest one. Today I can finally put in Start8 (I may even pay for it), and begin customizing the quasi-desktop into something resembling a real PC (I had to do the same to Win7). And Sunday I can take it on my trip knowing I'll be able to make use of it. I need to install Office, too.

Though I think I still need to run Windows Update again to get the system to Win 8.1 Update (1)....
April 30th, 2015 at 7:05:09 AM permalink
Nareed
Start8 is in. Today I install Office, then I expect I'll configure the machine sometime over the weekend, in between packing and whatever else I need to do before leaving.

BTW, the strongest indication that Win10 will be successful is this: Stardock is offering Start10 free if you purchase Start8 now.
May 23rd, 2015 at 4:07:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I called Walgreen's on Fremont street, and they said they don't add a surcharge, so 30 day pass is just $65 (same as Transit Centers).

Once again, thank you. That's exactly what I did, though I waited until Monday.

Tip: once you get the pass, you need to find a ticket machine and put the card in to have it validated. What this does is print an issue date and expiration date on the card, and I suppose encode that in the magnetic strip. BTW when I was through with it, I gave it to a cocktail waitress at the Four Queens. It still had some days to run.
July 7th, 2015 at 7:44:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Oh, this laptop was the best PC purchase I ever made.

Yesterday I left work at 10 pm. usually when this happens, I make a hasty dinner and use the tablet in bed rather than the desktop PC. But I had to make a few bank transfers and reply to some emails, which is chancy on the tablet. It turns out the laptop works perfectly well in bed, too. The mouse works right on the sheets as well as on the desktop (really!) The old laptop was too heavy and too big and too slow (and ran Vista).
Page 6 of 6« First<3456