Gun Control

October 20th, 2015 at 2:12:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Face
I think we need a psyche history and eval for all people who participate in these threads, just to get an understanding of each other. This thought is so beyond my understanding it makes me drool with curiosity.

Never carried a gun. Never carried a gun while riding a bike. Been chased by dogs.

Like what this guy did is the what've I've done at worst. But I can't justify shooting one. At least it hasn't happened yet.

There's actually a bunch of comments that people would have shot the dog.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 20th, 2015 at 2:16:51 PM permalink
rxwine
I will say, when your dog runs out in the street all the time at people, it's really the owners fault if something bad happens at either end.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 20th, 2015 at 4:17:04 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Never carried a gun. Never carried a gun while riding a bike. Been chased by dogs.

Like what this guy did is the what've I've done at worst. But I can't justify shooting one. At least it hasn't happened yet.

There's actually a bunch of comments that people would have shot the dog.

Yeah. Tough to say because being in the moment changes so many things. I won't say I would've shot it, but my gun would be out and it would be close. Imagining my 6yr old clinging to my legs during this, and that thing would be leaking on the sidewalk, no question. Same with the attack I just had. I would not have shot that dog either, but it would've been staring down the barrel of a cocked and locked .40 all the same. And again, with my kid, it would've been history.

Quote: petroglyph

I'm a revolver guy. Been packin a snub nose .38 since '80. Lost my first one, along with the house. Got a new one, which is only a 2" barrel, I really liked the 1" better.

I like the fact, that I never ever have to think whether or not the safety is on or if I have one in the pipe.

Same here. Currently trying to unload my Glock so I can get a wheel gun. Other than capacity, I like every single thing better about a revolver. The Ruger SP101 I bought Ash was a real beaut. Took it out of the box and put rounds on target from 30yds right away. Ran through a box and never missed once. That GD Glock I still miss vitals from just 30', and I've had it for going on 5 years now.

Quote: petro
The 8 round pump 12 mossberg is right around the corner, still loaded for bear. If they want it worse than that, they are going to get me. However, it wouldn't be my first time, I have had my ass kicked pretty good.

Glad to hear you keep it unchambered. Boom sticks don't have drop safeties, and a good bump can set one off. I have my shotgun home defense design all worked out, just need a bit of cash for some steel to make my setup. Full mag, unchambered, of course. Perhaps the necessary racking will chase one off before you even have to consider shooting.

Quote: petroglyph
I have been thinking about putting this up for awhile.

People talk about gun safes, or keeping locks on triggers or what not. This is how I think.

One of my mentors told me, "if you got time to load it, you don't need it". I have live my life with that premise.

That's rock solid advice. You missed my invasion story, but that popped off before I could literally do anything. He had been in my house for a bit over 10 seconds before my brain stopped spinning and even engaged. If he wanted a piece, it would've been tough to even retrieve a loaded and chambered weapon off an open desk, let alone retrieving one from a locked safe and then loading it.

The only safe I've seen that comes close to being SD approved (IMO) are one of these...

You can keep your gun Condition Zero even with a hundred toddlers getting in to everything, and can access your weapon in the time it takes to press four buttons. Just don't panic and forget the combo =p Just like the shooting, accessing the safe is something that needs to be practiced until you're doing it in your sleep.

Quote: petro
In Alaska, raising my kids, I taught them that guns "are never unloaded", even if they are. And I don't know if it's a fact or not, but I repeated it to them many times, "there are more people shot with empty guns, than loaded ones". Of course my meaning is obvious, and at least somewhat worth considering.

I always had a gun rack on the wall, loaded for bear, literally. Loaded, but not chambered. Twelve gauge, .338 and more. My kids since they were little, had friends over, ate their dinner, did homework, with guns hanging on the wall, and there was never a question in anyones mind, that if they were to take one of those firearms and point it at somebody, and pull the trigger, that most likely someone would die.

It never happened. No one to this day, f***ed around and pointed it at anyone. My daughters and son are all gun savvy, no threats, no games. Guns are tools, respect an maintain your tools and you can expect them to work.

I've done the same thing. I divorced when my kid was 2, and since the very first day I have kept my Glock on the headboard where we both slept, right where he could reach it. I kept it empty (there were already loaded weapons stashed in every room in the house), but I wanted both him to be exposed, as well as for me to get an idea of how he would react when he saw it. One time when he was 2 and once when he was 4 did he touch it, both times picking it up and saying "Here, daddy". Both times it was obv unloaded and was there not to necessarily entice him, but so I could see how he would react if, say, he was at a friend's house and came across one. Both incidents gave me an opportunity to stop, sit and talk with him about guns, and I feel he gets it. Nearly every time we see a gun now he will point it out to me (I told him to never touch and tell an adult immediately), and says "I don't ever play with guns".

He's seen them around both mine and Pop's house his whole life, and I almost always have mine on me anytime we go anywhere. The mysticism is long gone. To him, it ain't no different than a pillow or a spatula, just another thing around the house that holds no attention. I got him working with his fishing rod and he's doing real well, and I'm using the rod as a test for the guns. I figure if he can control that tip and not hook me or break it off on something, he can control the end of a gun as well. He might be shooting come next spring, depending on how things go.

It just feels right, as that's the way I was raised. I do have an attraction to guns (as is obv), but coming up, it was never something I had to sneak. If I desired to see / touch / hold one for any reason, all I needed do was ask. There was never any weird mysticism about them, it was just something I couldn't do without Pops. No different than riding bike on the main road or using the lawn mower. If I wanted to hold it or show it off to my friend, I just asked and I got it, easy peasy. I knew it, so there was no reason to sneak. No sneaking, no 10yr old Face killing his 10yr old buddy.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 18th, 2015 at 2:18:44 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Civil libertarians argue (persuasively in my opinion) that the FBI's terror watch list is way too big. Surely not all 700,000 people on the list are terrorists or even sympathizers.

Gun rights supporters point out that even in a nation with strict anti-gun laws (France) terrorists can still buy guns on the black market. But it's weird to consider the irony: airlines won't sell tickets to suspected terrorists, but gun stores will sell weapons to suspected terrorists.

Quote: Washington Post
"Membership in a terrorist organization does not prohibit a person from possessing firearms or explosives under current federal law," the Government Accountability Office concluded in 2010. The law prohibits felons, fugitives, drug addicts and domestic abusers from purchasing a firearm in the United States. But people on the FBI's consolidated terrorist watchlist — typically placed there when there is "reasonable suspicion" that they are a known or suspected terrorist — can freely purchase handguns or assault-style rifles. And, as the GAO found, a number of them do: Between 2004 and 2014, suspected terrorists attempted to purchase guns from American dealers at least 2,233 times. And in 2,043 of those cases — 91 percent of the time — they succeeded.

November 20th, 2015 at 12:56:25 PM permalink
rxwine
We really need a weapon somewhere between tasers, pepper spray and rubber bullets.

Somebody invent something!!!

The idea is to induce so much pain they will think twice -- or literally knock them down or incapacitate at reasonable ranges, without actually adding all the lethality of a handgun.

Can it be done?

Not so much that I care about having to shoot a possible murderous person dead, is that the handgun is problematic for everyone (IMO), not just attackers.
November 20th, 2015 at 1:05:04 PM permalink
rxwine
I have an idea already. You fire a smart robot at them which has taken an image of the attacker and fixes on them. It's starts covering them with sticky thread.

yeah, have to work on that.
November 20th, 2015 at 1:24:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
We really need a weapon somewhere between tasers, pepper spray and rubber bullets.

Somebody invent something!!!
You could stairstep the lethality in the drum on a revolver, go from a warning shot [noise, fear deterrent] or pepper spray, to taze, to rubber, to bird shot, to hollow point.

Or, how big can we go? How about wasp spray, with a lighter?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 20th, 2015 at 2:50:08 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I remember seeing something a while ago. I remember thinking, "Jesus Christ, don't show rx" ;) I'll see if I can find it...

Got it. Apparently it's some weird attachment. It goes onto a lethal weapon and causes the first round shot to be,... I dunno. Painful as hell? I don't necessarily see how it's less than lethal if you're hit in the head / neck / chest, but I suppose you'd survive a gut shot. And as it flies off with the first shot, the next 9 (or 16, if you're in a part of American that has freedom) all come out normal.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 20th, 2015 at 3:15:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Face
I remember seeing something a while ago. I remember thinking, "Jesus Christ, don't show rx" ;)

Hey!!

I believe any weapon design is good to go if it can make the perpetrator feel like he just got a hard kick to the nuts within at least 30 yards.

Just don't really have any workable ideas for something.
September 15th, 2016 at 5:34:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I love this NRA ad. My sister in law fought
off an attacker last year and did what this
woman is talking about. She has a carry
permit and so does her two daughters now.
These are good Christians, but if my sister
in law gets attacked again, he's a dead man.
She wouldn't even hesitate. I've never seen
this kind of conviction before, it's almost
scary how much she's determined to never
be in a helpless position ever again. They
go to the range every Wednesday, it's their
new religion.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.