Gun Control

May 28th, 2022 at 4:20:50 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pennsylvania-democrat-john-fetterman-uses-175517657.html

I see Fox articles on yahoo
It's weird what Fox considers news
This is news????????????
The sky is blue, will foxnews report on that?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 28th, 2022 at 6:04:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
If the gun is in your own home it is secure.

Well, most illegal guns aren't stolen. It's mostly all the gun loopholes in sales supported by people like you.

----------
Because in your mind, black and gay is suspicious?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2022 at 10:45:27 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
You are talking very old people who are not going to be homeschooling. People who homeschool are going to have the education to do it.

Except, no. People who homeschool do it because they are serious about it. They do not let the kids watch TV all day and give them As. Honestly they are not even going to be doing and grading individual papers like you do in a regular school. The proof of the success of homeschooling is see how they do in college and how they do in life.

I do not get what some people hate so much about homeschooling. Maybe they are upset a segment of engaged parents is looking at what government schools are doing and saying, "not with my kid you don't." Upset that people are not feeding the kids to the system like they were fed. The same kind of persons who whine to the HOA about any little thing.

That is exactly what I said, the older you are, the less likely you are to be a high school graduate. There are many studies, but census data is good because every 10 years all Americans are asked and people are legally bound to answer honestly (unlike random phone and mail surveys) :

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/educational-attainment.html#:~:text=27.9%25%20had%20high%20school%20graduate,degree%20as%20their%20highest%20degree.

(It actually appears to be under 10% now, though this includes GEDs, so its probably still over 10% not including GEDs).

But, "old people" do homeschool, lots of elders have guardianship of young kids (grandchildren and even great-grandchildren for example) for a whole host of reason.... And, some want to homeschool....

People who home school do not always have the education to do it (in fact statistically most do not as most Americans do not even have an associate degree, so they would not even be qualified to work at the most backwards private religious school), I have family members who were homeschooled who had one parent with an 8th grade education and one parent with High School (actually I think they technically dropped out of HS before graduating, not 100% sure), but they were just very against the education system (and these are cousins who are my generation ranging from younger than me to a couple years older than me, so this is not some distant family members from a time long ago -they all still live with their parents, just one is away at a Christian College, and most don't work, and the older ones are now in their 30s.....-). My suspicion is this is common for homeschooled kids. They are insulated from the world and brought up thinking that the system is corrupt, and they want no part of it.... Which is why I suspect many homeschool parents are even less qualified because many are religious based, don't teach proper science (think evolution is a hoax as with my family example), teach the medical, and education system is corrupt, etc..... Its just a recipe for societal failure.

There are many options for normal school or even relatively normal school: Public Schools, Charter Schools (still public and free, but more options for alternate education or specializations), Vo-Tech High Schools (also public and free, but you get technical certs in addition to a HS diploma upon graduating), Private Schools (endless types of varying quality), Religious Schools, hybrid schools, or online schools (which are also often public and free for kids who don't want to or can't leave the house). So there are endless options for schools, just amongst free schools (more if you count the endless types of private schools if you can afford), that there is no reason in 2022 kids should be subjected to homeschooling.

People always say schools indoctrinate children (which is absurd, because there are dozens of teachers with different views), its clear that homeschooling is what indoctrinates children (to a degree of making them borderline useless because they don't trust anything, and never want to leave the house), because they just sit at home with the same parents all day being told the same thing, thinking that the world is out to get them, and you can't question it, because you can't question your parents. Now are there some parents out there that actually teach a legit curriculum, and are balanced? Probably, but that goes back to the main point, just take a self paced online high school if your kid is too smart for high school and other humans are viewed as a distraction.... I just don't buy your argument that homeschooled kids are just too smart and others around them are a distraction (that is also why AP and Honors classes exist or again self-paced online schools)...
May 28th, 2022 at 12:33:15 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Mass shootings usually lead to stricter gun laws
Then there's this country
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/23142829/uvalde-robb-elementary-mass-shooting-gun-politcal-science
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 28th, 2022 at 1:10:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
That is exactly what I said, the older you are, the less likely you are to be a high school graduate. There are many studies, but census data is good because every 10 years all Americans are asked and people are legally bound to answer honestly (unlike random phone and mail surveys) :

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/educational-attainment.html#:~:text=27.9%25%20had%20high%20school%20graduate,degree%20as%20their%20highest%20degree.

(It actually appears to be under 10% now, though this includes GEDs, so its probably still over 10% not including GEDs).

But, "old people" do homeschool, lots of elders have guardianship of young kids (grandchildren and even great-grandchildren for example) for a whole host of reason.... And, some want to homeschool....

People who home school do not always have the education to do it (in fact statistically most do not as most Americans do not even have an associate degree, so they would not even be qualified to work at the most backwards private religious school), I have family members who were homeschooled who had one parent with an 8th grade education and one parent with High School (actually I think they technically dropped out of HS before graduating, not 100% sure), but they were just very against the education system (and these are cousins who are my generation ranging from younger than me to a couple years older than me, so this is not some distant family members from a time long ago -they all still live with their parents, just one is away at a Christian College, and most don't work, and the older ones are now in their 30s.....-). My suspicion is this is common for homeschooled kids. They are insulated from the world and brought up thinking that the system is corrupt, and they want no part of it.... Which is why I suspect many homeschool parents are even less qualified because many are religious based, don't teach proper science (think evolution is a hoax as with my family example), teach the medical, and education system is corrupt, etc..... Its just a recipe for societal failure.

There are many options for normal school or even relatively normal school: Public Schools, Charter Schools (still public and free, but more options for alternate education or specializations), Vo-Tech High Schools (also public and free, but you get technical certs in addition to a HS diploma upon graduating), Private Schools (endless types of varying quality), Religious Schools, hybrid schools, or online schools (which are also often public and free for kids who don't want to or can't leave the house). So there are endless options for schools, just amongst free schools (more if you count the endless types of private schools if you can afford), that there is no reason in 2022 kids should be subjected to homeschooling.

People always say schools indoctrinate children (which is absurd, because there are dozens of teachers with different views), its clear that homeschooling is what indoctrinates children (to a degree of making them borderline useless because they don't trust anything, and never want to leave the house), because they just sit at home with the same parents all day being told the same thing, thinking that the world is out to get them, and you can't question it, because you can't question your parents. Now are there some parents out there that actually teach a legit curriculum, and are balanced? Probably, but that goes back to the main point, just take a self paced online high school if your kid is too smart for high school and other humans are viewed as a distraction.... I just don't buy your argument that homeschooled kids are just too smart and others around them are a distraction (that is also why AP and Honors classes exist or again self-paced online schools)...

Here's liberal indoctrination. If you listen to DeSantis and don't check the claims, you might believe it was extensive.

Quote:
The News4JAX I-TEAM is digging through thousands of documents just released by the Florida Department of Education. They reveal what textbook reviewers flagged as Critical Race Theory (CRT) and other prohibited topics which led to the rejection of 54 unpublished math books. Governor DeSantis has targeted Critical Race Theory -- saying the book authors are trying to ‘indoctrinate” Florida students.

Only 1 out of 70 textbook reviewers found Critical Race Theory in Florida’s math textbooks.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2022/05/06/i-team-newly-released-documents-reveal-which-items-were-flagged-as-critical-race-theory-in-text-books/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2022 at 8:46:20 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Here's liberal indoctrination. If you listen to DeSantis and don't check the claims, you might believe it was extensive.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2022/05/06/i-team-newly-released-documents-reveal-which-items-were-flagged-as-critical-race-theory-in-text-books/

CRT is the new "Gay Agenda", it gives conservatives something to go crazy about without being real.... How many education department employees were needed to dedicate countless hours to reading through thousands of textbooks just to look for "social justice signs".... It seems like a massive waste of resources to systemically go through so many textbooks and assigned literature looking for one specific item. Of all of the reasons to systemically review all books, this just seems silly....

I know that was not your main point, but to me, that is just mind boggling to think about dozens of highly educated education department employees going through thousands of textbooks and novels manually with a highlighter trying to find vague signs of one specific item. It almost sounds like something out of a comedy show that is portraying inefficiency.
May 28th, 2022 at 8:57:38 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
This is the Gun Control Thread
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
May 29th, 2022 at 2:50:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
CRT is the new "Gay Agenda", it gives conservatives something to go crazy about without being real....

Both are real. It does not need to be in textbooks to be happening. You do not see it because you believe people are supposed to just believe what Big Brother tells you.
The President is a fink.
May 29th, 2022 at 5:09:17 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Wizard
Sorry to change the topic a bit, but I'm planning to buy an AR-15. Any advice on a particular model? I don't want a lot of bells and whistles, just the basic model. I think the one I shot the other day was a 223, or something like that. Are prices fairly consistent from store to store? I am open and thankful for all good advice.
You rather surprise me. Why would you want one? For having fun at the range, hunting, or for potentially defending your home? Or as an upgrade to your collection? Or some other reason?
May 29th, 2022 at 5:10:31 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
It is hard to get fair reviews of textbooks, or any books, if the people doing the reviewing start with a bias one way or the other.

If your whole thought process is that someone is trying to indoctrinate children, you would see something one way while someone who thought that could not be happening would see it another way.

Since we now often conclude that anyone does not think like us is evil, it is hard to find common ground.