Gun Control

May 29th, 2022 at 5:13:47 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: JCW09
This is the Gun Control Thread
Well, you can't shoot black gays without a gun!
$:o)
May 29th, 2022 at 5:18:13 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: OnceDear
You rather surprise me. Why would you want one? For having fun at the range, hunting, or for potentially defending your home? Or as an upgrade to your collection? Or some other reason?

I do not have a semi-automatic weapon any larger than a pistol currently. The rifle I have is bolt action and could probably penetrate the house next door if I shot at someone in the dining area with it. A .223 will kill a deer (I have used one to do so) and also does not have the same power behind the projectile as other long guns. It would be a viable option for home protection without the risks of penetrating the house next door. The criminals robbing houses here have not used those types of weapons yet, so a pistol is still decent protection. Heck, most of the criminals shoot a lot but not that well.

Anyway, I hear people saying that if someone is breaking in they will set their alarm off and pray while waiting for the police.

Screw that.
May 29th, 2022 at 5:45:52 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: RonC
I do not have a semi-automatic weapon any larger than a pistol currently. The rifle I have is bolt action and could probably penetrate the house next door if I shot at someone in the dining area with it. A .223 will kill a deer (I have used one to do so) and also does not have the same power behind the projectile as other long guns. It would be a viable option for home protection without the risks of penetrating the house next door. The criminals robbing houses here have not used those types of weapons yet, so a pistol is still decent protection. Heck, most of the criminals shoot a lot but not that well.

Anyway, I hear people saying that if someone is breaking in they will set their alarm off and pray while waiting for the police.

Screw that.
I'm still struggling to conceive of using a rifle indoors. Pistol, yes. I suppose.

LOL at anyone defending their home with the power of prayer.

Handy defensive weapon of choice...... A lot of noise, a lot of attitude and a walking stick...

https://youtu.be/HH7hHpklUQ4
May 29th, 2022 at 6:23:18 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: OnceDear
I'm still struggling to conceive of using a rifle indoors. Pistol, yes. I suppose.

LOL at anyone defending their home with the power of prayer.

Handy defensive weapon of choice...... A lot of noise, a lot of attitude and a walking stick...

https://youtu.be/HH7hHpklUQ4

Most AR-15 type weapons are smaller and generally lighter than larger bore long guns. They are fairly manageable in tight spaces. If I need to come down the hallway to confront armed intruders, or unarmed ones who don’t quickly depart once noise starts, I want to cover the scene with maximum fire power. Having a light rifle with a larger magazine would give me more of that.

There will be lots of noise…
May 29th, 2022 at 6:24:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: JCW09
This is the Gun Control Thread

Speaking of, I haven't looked at what's on the docket for these upcoming cases. But apparently you think it will be gun favorable.

Well, I guess we'll see.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 30th, 2022 at 7:35:56 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
“There is not an epidemic of mass shootings,” says James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University who has been tracking these events for decades and helps keep the AP/USA Today/Northeastern Mass Killing database. “What’s increasing and is out of control is the epidemic of fear.”

As Fox notes, the annual odds that an American child will die in a mass shooting at school are nearly 10 million to 1, about the odds of being killed by lightning or of dying in an earthquake. "

Further into the article he says that school shootings have actually been falling since the 1990's. But carry on with your MSM media stoked anger as unreasonable as it is, no sense to grow a brain now you wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 30th, 2022 at 8:00:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
“There is not an epidemic of mass shootings,” says James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University who has been tracking these events for decades and helps keep the AP/USA Today/Northeastern Mass Killing database. “What’s increasing and is out of control is the epidemic of fear.”

As Fox notes, the annual odds that an American child will die in a mass shooting at school are nearly 10 million to 1, about the odds of being killed by lightning or of dying in an earthquake. "

Further into the article he says that school shootings have actually been following since the 1990's. But carry on with your MSM media stoked anger as unreasonable as it is, no sense to grow a brain now you wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

To make the numbers more real you need to present them different. Put it in terms of how many years would one have to go to school before a mass shooting happens. No time for the math here but I’d figure that the average school would go 200 years or more between them.
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2022 at 8:09:13 AM permalink
rxwine

Further into the article he says that school shootings have actually been following since the 1990's. But carry on with your MSM media stoked anger as unreasonable as it is, no sense to grow a brain now you wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

There doesn't need to be an epidemic to know that selling something that can kill many people at close range or a distance in under a minute might need more controls than than your average item. As you say, grow a brain.

Cars are way more controlled.. Locks, keys, training, alarms, age appropriate, insurance for accidents, multiple safety features for the user as well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 30th, 2022 at 8:16:58 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
There doesn't need to be an epidemic to know that selling something that can kill many people at close range or a distance in under a minute might need more controls than than your average item. As you say, grow a brain.

Cars are way more controlled.. Locks, keys, training, alarms, age appropriate, insurance for accidents, multiple safety features for the user as well.

As they should be since they kill a thousand times more people.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 30th, 2022 at 8:20:16 AM permalink
rxwine
As they should be since they kill a thousand times more people.

And there's a much greater trade-off in benefits.