Gun Control

May 24th, 2014 at 3:25:35 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
No, my comment was that society needs protection sometimes from gun owners to balance the needs of society (innocent people getting killed through crimes of passion or insanity or by being in the wrong place at the wrong time). The punishment of gun crime doesn't match the corresponding fact that someone has died.

Imagine that the father or brother gets killed by a drunk driver, or worst yet, your child. The penalties for this are puny. The driver gets drunk, gets into a motorized vehicle-turned-weapon, and runs over someone, and serves a couple of years in prison and can't drive. Does this replace the person who died? No. That is why a great deal of effort goes into lawmaking to attempt to educate and prevent drunk driving to reduce the carnage while allowing law abiding citizens to drink responsibly and get behind the wheel without having to blow into a breathalyzer every time they start their car.

Shooters are of course responsible for firing their guns. The NRA and their lobbying is responsible for many guns being where they shouldn't be. Perhaps, for example, if guns were required to be locked up (or at least with the safety on or the bullets separated from the chamber) at home, many many suicides and gun accidents would be prevented.

There is always going to need to a balance between the protection of society and the 2nd Amendment. These are accomplished through laws, not through private enterprise.
May 24th, 2014 at 4:00:46 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: boymimbo
The NRA and their lobbying is responsible for many guns being where they shouldn't be.
So by your logic, is Jack Daniel's responsible for alcohol being "where it shouldn't be"? *facepalm*

Perhaps, for example, if guns were required to be locked up (or at least with the safety on or the bullets separated from the chamber) at home, many many suicides and gun accidents would be prevented.
"Perhaps, for example, if alcohol was required to be locked up at home, many many drunk driving accidents would be prevented."

These are accomplished through laws, not through private enterprise.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

What's so hard to understand about the bolded part?
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 24th, 2014 at 7:42:49 PM permalink
Beethoven
Gunman stabbed 3 to death before shooting spree

Looks like the gun control zealots will be at it again. Here's a line in the article that blew me away:
Quote:
Richard Martinez said his son Christopher Martinez, 20, was killed in the shooting. He blamed politicians and gun-rights proponents. “When will this insanity stop? … Too many have died. We should say to ourselves ‘not one more,’” he said.
This idiot is blaming the Constitution for the shooting????? *facepalm*

Using that logic, why doesn't this moron blame violent video games too??

Six Absolutely Shocking Details From Suspected Santa Barbara Shooter’s 141-Page Manifesto
Quote:
Rodger details throughout his manifesto that he filled a void in his life with violent video games starting at a young age.
May 24th, 2014 at 7:56:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Beethoven
Looks like the gun control zealots will be at it again.

Another out of control gun. I suppose the gun will
be blamed in these shootings, they always are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2014 at 8:42:57 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

By your logic, i should be able to go to the corner store and pick up a couple of handgrenades, a few Stingers, and a nuke or two. After all, isn't that what the 2nd Amendment intended?

My point is that some semblance of reason needs to be applied to the 2nd amendment, just as there are reasonable exceptions to many of the statements made in the constitution and bill of rights. This makes the whole topic of gun control up for debate.

The Patriot act allows for the infringement of fourth amendment rights, but because it was passed by a Republican president, it's okay?

Jack Daniels might indeed be responsible for alcohol being allowed in supermarkets and corner stores. The US government is responsible in making the drinking age 21, and I am quite sure alcohol makers have been lobbying (unsuccessfully) to lower that age to 18 or less.

Gun accidents are usually fatal. Drunk driving accidents would also be prevented if consumption of alcohol was regulated. At bars, it is. Innkeepers are usually responsible for ensuring that their patrons don't get too drunk and behind a wheel.
May 24th, 2014 at 9:19:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Gun accidents are usually fatal. l.

Holy crap, not even close. In 2010, 606 people
died of accidental gun use. 71,000 were
treated and released from hospitals. No wonder
you hate guns, your facts are all wrong.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2014 at 4:48:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
No, my comment was that society needs protection sometimes from gun owners to balance the needs of society (innocent people getting killed through crimes of passion or insanity or by being in the wrong place at the wrong time). The punishment of gun crime doesn't match the corresponding fact that someone has died.

Simple solution here. Lets make it a crime if you shoot someone with the intent to harm or murder them.

Quote:
Shooters are of course responsible for firing their guns. The NRA and their lobbying is responsible for many guns being where they shouldn't be. Perhaps, for example, if guns were required to be locked up (or at least with the safety on or the bullets separated from the chamber) at home, many many suicides and gun accidents would be prevented.

So you are suggesting a person will not commit suicide just because they have to get the gun out of the safe? Should we lock up all the pills in the house for the same reason? To repeat what I have said before, anyone who wants to lock up their gun is free to do so, there is zero need for a law on this. What a person does in their own bedroom is their own business, isn't it? So let them keep the gun in the nightstand drawer.

Quote:
There is always going to need to a balance between the protection of society and the 2nd Amendment. These are accomplished through laws, not through private enterprise.

There are laws against shooting people already. I wonder how much time in jail the gun is going to have to do since by your logic the gun and not the person is responsible.
The President is a fink.
May 25th, 2014 at 5:37:10 AM permalink
Beethoven
By your logic, i should be able to go to the corner store and pick up a couple of handgrenades, a few Stingers, and a nuke or two. After all, isn't that what the 2nd Amendment intended?
Um...where does the 2nd Amendment talk about grenades and nukes?

This is hilarious. It always cracks me up how so many liberals love to shift their arguments (in this case, from guns to nukes) instead of simply admitting that they're wrong. lol

The Patriot act allows for the infringement of fourth amendment rights, but because it was passed by a Republican president, it's okay?
Uh...what does the 4th Amendment have to do with this topic? Sounds like a tangent to me.

(For the record, I think President Bush was definitely an underrated president, but I did have problems with him increasing the size and scope of government)

Gun accidents are usually fatal.
No, they're not.
May 25th, 2014 at 6:26:48 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I'm in favor of guns, and in favor of gun control. Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? The west was tamed when cowboys had to surrender their guns when entering town. If those hard headed, plain sense roughhands saw the common sense of that solution, why can't we? Why must it become a political football?
May 25th, 2014 at 6:44:00 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The courts ruled that the 2nd amendment applies to arms that have a “reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia”
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan