广州市

May 22nd, 2014 at 2:08:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The name of this city is called Guangzhou but for most of the 20th century was romanized as Canton.

In a similar manner Chongqing's former official name was Chungking and Beijing was formally known as Peking.

My question is how the h. do you confuse Guangzhou with Canton?

They don't sound close to one another.
May 22nd, 2014 at 2:22:20 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Common errors in languish I guess.
May 22nd, 2014 at 4:51:13 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
I think it may have more to do with them just being different names than having a similar sound phonetically. Kind of like when 'Madras' became 'Chennai' in India.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 22nd, 2014 at 6:55:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
My question is how the h. do you confuse Guangzhou with Canton?

Same way, perhaps, as Deutschland becomes Germany or Alemania?

Quote:
They don't sound close to one another.

Exactly.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 22nd, 2014 at 6:56:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Beethoven
I think it may have more to do with them just being different names than having a similar sound phonetically. Kind of like when 'Madras' became 'Chennai' in India.

Quote: Nareed
Same way, perhaps, as Deutschland becomes Germany or Alemania?

Cantonese is the prestige dialect of Yue Chinese (60 million). Mandarin (standard Chinese) is spoken by almost a billion people.

Perhaps you are correct. The word "Beijing/Peking" is Mandarin while "Guangzhou/Canton" is Cantonese. The romanization of the different languages must have been varied.
May 22nd, 2014 at 9:16:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Perhaps you are correct. The word "Beijing/Peking" is Mandarin

For years I thought Mandarin was a duck, not a language.
Imagine my surprise..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 22nd, 2014 at 10:00:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I think that Chairman Mao's communist government changed the names of some cities, like Peking to Beijing and Canton to Guangzhou. There may be others. Recall that the USSR did the same thing, changing St. Petersberg to Leningrad. Also, communist Vietnam changed Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 23rd, 2014 at 6:44:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I think that Chairman Mao's communist government changed the names of some cities, like Peking to Beijing and Canton to Guangzhou. There may be others. Recall that the USSR did the same thing, changing St. Petersberg to Leningrad. Also, communist Vietnam changed Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City.

Yes, but those are different words. Peking and Beijing are just different "romanizations" of the same word in Chinese characters.

Regarding the great city in India, the city was referred to as Mumbai or Mambai in Marathi, Konkani, Gujarati, Kannada and Sindhi, and as Bambai in Hindi, Persian and Urdu. The English name Bombay was a variation on the Hindi word. When the Marathi nationalist Shiv Sena party came to power, they insisted that the English name be officially changed to Mumbai (November 1995).

If Canton & Guangzhou are supposed to be the same word in Chinese characters, they sure don't look anything alike. Chongqing and Chungking at least resemble one another (Chinese: 重庆).