Interesting change

May 25th, 2014 at 3:36:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Our office is located on the landing pattern of Mex City's airport. When I go to the parking lot to smoke, I get to see several planes on their way down.

Well, until a week and a half or so ago, they flew well to my left from where I usually stand. now they are passing overhead slightly to my right. From this new angle I can't even see the livery.

I wonder what is going on. It would seem a change worth several kilometers, as guesstimated from the altitude and distance to the airport, My best guesses are 1) a change to keep commercial aircraft from flying over the presidential residence (it is nearby and also on the landing pattern), 2) a change in the runway assigned to landings (I recall always landing on the runway clsoest to terminal 1, but on my last flight we landed on the one closest to T2), 3) some kind of change for other reaosns such as prevailing winds, fuel conomy, noise, etc.

In other words I have no clue.

Not that it has been fun to spot airplanes the past, oh, fifteen years or so. Pretty much 90% of all you see are either B-737s or A-320s, which are nearly identical in flight, with the smaller Aeromexico jets and a few widebodies making up the rest. In the old days there used to be mroe variety in airliner designs. I recall being able to distinguish a DC-8 from a B-707, btu I don't recall how.

I guess the alumminum tube with wings has reached design maturity. Even the unducted fan-jet never made it into production.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 25th, 2014 at 9:16:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
As one plane designer said "I have an unducted hat".

Perhaps wind change or Runway Visual Range is different or runway/taxiway blockage?

Go to any FBO and there is usually a large aeronautical chart posted on the wall you can consult the approach plates in a Jeppson manual too and they now have those online I would imagine too.